Convince the other half

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol: Are you for real? The door swings both ways

Yes of course it does, but we are talking about a potentially dangerous animal. One is scared - Its not the same as dividing chores. I would really enjoy having a red belly or a black tigersnake. My partner does not like snakes but hasn't said no. But, knowing how careless I can be at times, leaving doors open for my pythons to get out, I told him I would never consider it until I have gone 5 years without letting a python out. I nearly made it to 12 months but now the time starts again. The amount of threads you see here about ppl's snakes or other reptiles escaping - can you really blame leeroy's best friend for not wanting a death adder in her house. You can't be casual about them. DA's can be rather misleading with their behaviour. You show her that you know what you are doing and that you can promise her that she would never be in danger, or expected to help (unless in emergencies where YOU may have been bitten), then don't push the point.

......It shouldn't be a case of being dictated to, being told what to do, or have restrictions placed on ones self. .....

I agree with you VenomOOse but we are talking about a dangerous hobby. I don't know her, but I reckon its about her overcoming fears, not trying to tell him what he can or can't have. EDUCATION is what helps ppl understand the things around us - you can't order ppl to get over fear of things.

I would respect her wishes and agree not to get the adder. Then I would secretly get it anyway and keep it in the shed or somewhere.

you should respect her feelings. my partner asked me about getting a RBB i told him hell no. we have a 16 month old, plus this year alone he has been responsible for 9 pythons getting out of their enclosures and i have been the one going crazy finding them. i did find them all, but i can't trust him with anything slightly ven. i have never had a snake escape that has been my fault, i just can't trust him.

if he did bring home a ven i would not hesitate to pack his bags and throw them out the door with his ven. i value my life, my daughter, my dogs and my birds lives alot more than he does. i can replace him, i can't replace my child or pets. and he agreed i was right.

but even if i could trust him it would still be a no. maybe after my daughter is over 18.

you should respect her feelings. my partner asked me about getting a RBB i told him hell no. we have a 16 month old, plus this year alone he has been responsible for 9 pythons getting out of their enclosures and i have been the one going crazy finding them. i did find them all, but i can't trust him with anything slightly ven. i have never had a snake escape that has been my fault, i just can't trust him.

if he did bring home a ven i would not hesitate to pack his bags and throw them out the door with his ven. i value my life, my daughter, my dogs and my birds lives alot more than he does. i can replace him, i can't replace my child or pets. and he agreed i was right.

but even if i could trust him it would still be a no. maybe after my daughter is over 18.
Yep sounds like my cook! Her cat , her bird ,her chickens ,her ferret, her ducks, which I am the one that ends up looking after them all but cos she is over them, but gets the sads up when I get another snake which I am the one that looks after it

Yep sounds like my cook! Her cat , her bird ,her chickens ,her ferret, her ducks, which I am the one that ends up looking after them all but cos she is over them, but gets the sads up when I get another snake which I am the one that looks after it

3 of the 5 dogs are his but i feed them and pick up the poo. the birds he actualy bought but i class them as mine cause he is over them. and some of the snakes are his. but some how i look after all the animals he just brings them home. i don't mind them but vens no way.

Respect her wishes and don't get it. Can't believe that people are saying to get one regardless etc. Single people can do whatever they want, sometimes relationships must compromise some freedom to keep both sides happy. The average citizen is afraid of all snakes, I think all snake keepers should consider themselves lucky that their partner tolerates/likes pythons.

My missus said I wasn't allowed to keep a python. Then she said well, as long as you don't get venomous snakes. Then she said, no guns. I wonder what else she'll tell me :D Respect is a 2-way street. She should respect what I want. It's not like I'm asking to go swinging....yet :lol: :D

If you're ever in Darwin mate, there is a swing set across the road from us. I could even give you a push : )

Op if your missus is against the idea it maybe because she is scared, you have to allay her fears. It could also be that she knows you very well and doesn't trust you to keep the snake in appropriate conditions. Either way people on here can't help you, it's something to be discussed between you and her. Good luck.

Also, whether it's good advice or not is extremely subjective ;), but a very important piece of advice nonetheless:

It's always easier to get forgiveness than it is to get permission. :)

If you are really that desperate to be involved with venomous snakes, volunteer at a park or zoo that has a reptile section. Do a venomous snake course, join your local wildlife rescue organisation and become a snakecatcher who simply catches and releases, but sending injured ones to somebody else. That should take care of your craving for venomous snakes, and your wife can have her peace of mind knowing they aren't there in her bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back