Go Tassie Devils

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish I could donate to their program but its a bit pricey for my budget. But if they are ever requiring another nurturer, I will definitely put my hand up :)

I wish I could donate to their program but its a bit pricey for my budget. But if they are ever requiring another nurturer, I will definitely put my hand up :)
You can donate any amount, even $5 goes to use.

- - - Updated - - -

I love Tassie's so much, they are such great animals.
Glad they are "rejuvinating"
It's still a long way off but it's good to see that there is a insurance community free from DFTD.

That DFTD is insane - I thought it was some science fiction nightmare when I first heard about it. I really hope this insurance population idea works because it would be tragic to lose the other major Tassie carnivore and an especially unique animal to boot.

And yes, Kathy, the babies are very cute. :)

The tassie devil is having a harsh time at te moment. All we can hope is it doesn't end up like the Tasmanian tiger.

The tassie devil is having a harsh time at te moment. All we can hope is it doesn't end up like the Tasmanian tiger.
There should be enough so far to avoid total extinction however extinction in the wild is a very very real prospect (unfortunately its almost needed so that DFTD is eradicated, so that the insurance policy can hopefully one day be released into the wild).

Sabohan - absolutely I would rear one if I had the chance. I love them, even their smelly, ferret smell would not deter me.

If extinction does happen in the wild, I almost hope it does happen. They obviously cannot stop that dreadful disease so it is probably the best thing, then they can quarantine the land and the disease will die out. I am sure its more complicated than that, but in theory it sounds good. I read a history book that the devils use to be on the mainland. I wonder how, and why they can been wiped out and only existed in Tassie? Of course it is most likely when Tassie was still attached to the mainland that it happened, but when it broke away, why did they die out on the mainland but continued to thrive in Tassie? Now I want to go do some research and find out. :D

As above said this is a fantastic place to donate money and also has John Weigel (breeder for Snake Ranch and well established zoologist) playing an important role in this. This is also the biggest project to save an alpha or top predator species in the world today. One last point is that it cost $2 to feed one devil for one day so quite literally, as stated above, any amount helps!!!
We whipped out the enigmatic tassie tiger, which at one time covered large parts of Australia, lets not do the same to the little devils.

Sabohan - absolutely I would rear one if I had the chance. I love them, even their smelly, ferret smell would not deter me.

If extinction does happen in the wild, I almost hope it does happen. They obviously cannot stop that dreadful disease so it is probably the best thing, then they can quarantine the land and the disease will die out. I am sure its more complicated than that, but in theory it sounds good. I read a history book that the devils use to be on the mainland. I wonder how, and why they can been wiped out and only existed in Tassie? Of course it is most likely when Tassie was still attached to the mainland that it happened, but when it broke away, why did they die out on the mainland but continued to thrive in Tassie? Now I want to go do some research and find out. :D

Beastiality... :lol:

I heard that the devils will be extinct in the wild around 2015, if that's the case it will be devastating. If/ when the devils do become extinct it will be a long time before the captive devils would be released into the wild...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back