Help is this normal?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spoonio

Reaction score
Hello i just walked past one of my snakes an saw it layin very odd and found it to be dead, he has not been unwell its a surprise to me to find him like this i took some pics of the inside of his mouth because i didnt think it looked normal.
Im still very new to reptiles so im not sure if its just the colour of his mouth as i have others who have very jet black mouths but this looked gunky.
Any input would be good as i have to wait till the vet is open to see about a autopsy.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_1757.jpg
    IMG_1757.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_1756.jpg
    IMG_1756.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 270
No definitely not normal, a hell of a mess in fact. Looks like internal bleeding and probably heart failure or some sort of congestion since it also looks like cyanosis* there. The Glottis also looks a mess and just going on the pic the teeth and palate do not even look too good although that might just be blood. I could speculate on lots but really only an autopsy will show why it died.

I am not sure what other snakes you can have that have jet black mouths. The only one that comes to mind that would have a jet black mouth definitely shouldn't be in Vic. A Normal python mouth should be clean and white/pinkish, look online to see how they should look. What have you been feeding? And when did this one last eat? No blood in the cage? I am really just curious. Either way though get it to a vet or uni and find out what went wrong.

*The blue tint to the jaw adductor muscles.
** This is a really odd post, so apologies in advance if I am wrong, but is some of this taking the ....?

I don't know what you have done with the body but it needs to be put in the fridge, not the freezer if you want a necropsy done.

sorry for your loss brother. Looks like some sort of tumor perhaps?

Hey, He has been on small rabbits for a year now an as of a few months ago just went off his food im thinking this could have been why, where as i was told that its most likey the weather by other keepers an vet, there was no blood in the cage an he was fine yesterday ( well i thought he was ) when i took him out to clean his pee.

Iv got a few jungles with black mouths that have been that way from the moment i got them might get them checked out to ake sure they are fine. Im waiting on the vet to call me back as she wasnt in when i called this morning.

thanks for your imput just very shocked as to how he went il fill you in once i find out from the vet.

- - - Updated - - -

The vet said everything looked fine apart from his liver which had a bacterial HIV infection, she did not know how or why he got this but is going to keep looking into it.

Has this or anything like it happened to anyone else?

spoonio;225004[COLOR=#c0c0c0 said:
[
The vet said everything looked fine apart from his liver which had a bacterial HIV infection, she did not know how or why he got this but is going to keep looking into it.]

A bacterial HIV infection? Perhaps you misheard, perhaps there's a veterinary three letter acronym which I'm unfamiliar with or perhaps somebody is taking the piss. Pretty certain that HIV stands for Human immunodeficiency Virus. Not bacterial. Not a big problem in reptile husbandry as far as I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back