Gtp in Exo Terra 12x12x12

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tangy1

Reaction score
Hi,
After repeated efforts using tubs to trail getting temps and humidity correct I am concidering getting a Exo terra 12x12x12 glass enclosure and using heat from above with a ceramic bulb on a thermostat.
I will add now that I don't have a GTP yet. I am just testing everything to get things perfect first.
The reasoning for this is I have tried a small tub sitting fully on a 20w heat mat. I cannot get temps above 27c at the perch even without a thermostat being used. The perch was about 10cm from the bottom. I sprayed the tub and got great humidity but no hope getting the temps.
Next I tried the tub in my rack which holds floor heat at 31-32 at the hot end. Again temps at the perch max 26-27c.
So now before going to get the Exo terra I wanted to ask if anyone has used the size mentioned for hatchies? The top of the enclosure is open mesh so I will insulate the area except the area that has the lamp to prevent heat escaping.

The reason my thoughts are going to the enclosure And not using a tub anymore is that if I go a bigger wattage heat cord/Mat the temps at the floor of the enclosure will be extremely high to get the required 29-30c at the perch in the off chance the GTP ventures to the floor.

Does anyone have pics of their tubs showing heat placement to get reqiured air temps at the perch?

I have done a lot of home work over the last couple of months and now at the stage of testing things to make sure everything is perfect before I start sourcing a hatchy.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
your like me! i have a woma and i couldnt get the temp right because it wouldnt go any higher so i had to do all types of things to get it right

Is the tub just in open area?

Try putting a heavy book on the top of the tub or a sheet of wood (it's what I have tried) and it keeps / retains the heat better and allows the tub to fully warm up properly..

Most people hwo use tubs have a rack system and house many snakes so the heat is retained in all the enclosures via the wood holes they sit in...

This worked for me (otherwise just get a 5w matt and sit it on top as well) :)

Should still use a thermostat :D

I had my GTP in a small 30x30x45 Exoterra tank when she was a hatchling. I heated it from above with a 40w infrared globe in an Exoterra lamp holder connected to a thermostat. I had a temp gradient from about low 30's up top to mid 20's down low. I had to cover half of the fly wire cover to help retain humidity & heat.

Should still use a thermostat

I was testing with a thermostat with no success. I tried without the thermostat to see if on max weather the heat Matt was capable of getting to temp.
I did try in my rack still with no success in acheiving the temps.

Chris. We're you using any substrate? That is exactly the setup I am thinking of trying. How did you go with keeping humidity?

I used Sphagnum Moss on the floor. I misted once or twice a day, it worked really well. I needed the thermostat as it got too hot otherwise. Humidity varied between 50 to 80%. I'll find a photo tonight if I remember & post it if that helps you.

Try putting the heat mat on a side wall and have a perch that is close to it.

I had this on my iPad, doesn't show much, I think I have others at home, but you can see the top set up anyway.

udagazaq.jpg

You put the plastic tubs inside another cage with heat mats on the floor and caged ceramics on the top, heats up quick and retains the heat well.
Plug the heat mat and ceramics into the same thermostat, having a heat mat on the bottom keeps the humidity up, tie the probe one end of perch at 29 C.
I dont worry if i have lots of condensation thats because the outside of the tub is cooler.

At present time Zulu I don't have a spare enclosure to do something like that.

If you still were considering a tub run a row or two of heat cord along either the back or the roof of the rack. Gets the heat up high.

Ive done this before and it has worked for me.

You could do that with the exo terra as well. Just use some al tape to hold it up.

Be very careful with exo terra enclosures and heat sources placed on top. I have melted one using a 50 watt bulb in a fitting sitting on top. The plastic that holds the mesh distorts very quickly with minimal heat.

Hey, Iv got mine in a 30*30*45exo terra. I have a 50w red globe in a dome (had two going but was switching on off too often) there is also a 15w heat cord under the bottom glass. I mist in the morning and the heat cord keeps the humidity up whilst drying out the substrate, the next morning its dry again. I also have put black foam board around the sides to keep heat in a bit better and for privacy for the animal. This set up gets me a nice gradient of 25-30/31. I'll attach a pic for you.
exo terra tall mini.JPG

Chondrobsessed
Do you have a hatchie in that size? Who did you purchase from?
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back