qld licence not required to purchase for first 6 mths

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peter1929

Reaction score
Hello all.

New be question,

A have an information sheet from qld wild life licence people that states that you initially do not have to have a licence to purchase a reptile in Queensland, you only need one if you intend to keep more than 6mths, if you do not keep the reptile for 6mths you must give it back to the place you purchased it from.

Why do I see ads that state must have licence?? ?
:?

This is what is on the DERM website, says no buying or selling without a licence. I'd like to see the info that you have.

You must not buy or accept a protected, international or prohibited animal from another person unless you hold the appropriate licence (if required) to keep and buy or accept the animal. If you buy or accept an animal without first holding the appropriate licence (if required) you commit an offence. The person who sold or gave you the animal also commits an offence, even if they live in another State.

I know there's a rule after ACQUIRING a reptile (with license of course) that it musn't be sold or moved on until you've owned it for 6 months, perhaps the sheet has worded it wrong or you've read it wrong?

The only thing I have heard of in Qld about not needing a reptile licence to keep a reptile, is if the reptile came from the property and stays on the property.... ie, a kid gets a frog out of the dam and wants to keep it. I mentioned this before and got shot down in flames, so it is probably wrong :lol:

What you say about the 6 month thing doesnt sound right..... best give derm a call and ask, to be sure ;)

Please advise after looking at this

www.ehp.qld.gov.au/register/p01389aa.pdf

Guideline
Page 1 of 7 • 120712
Department of Environment and Heritage Protection
Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (Department of Environment and Heritage Protection) ABN 46 640 294 485
Wildlife management
Keeping wildlife privately in Queensland — Conditions and restrictions — Keeping and using controlled animals without a recreational wildlife licence
Background
Species listed in part 2 of schedule 3 of the Nature Conservation (Wildlife Management) Regulation 2006 (the Wildlife Management Regulation) are usually referred to as ‘controlled animals’. These are listed at the end of this guideline.
The laws that apply to the keeping and using of controlled animals vary depending upon whether or not you hold a licence for the animal. If you hold a licence, the same laws that apply to other species you keep under your licence also apply to a controlled animal.
This guideline only applies to a person who does not hold a recreational wildlife licence for controlled animals being live birds. If you have a recreational wildlife licence, or intend to get one, please refer to the guideline ‘Keeping wildlife privately in Queensland — Conditions and restrictions — Keeping and using controlled, commercial, recreational, restricted or international animals under a recreational wildlife licence’.
This guideline deals only with the keeping and use of wildlife for private recreational use in Queensland. It does not relate to animals that are:
• taken from the wild as sick, injured or orphaned animals for rehabilitation or release;
• used in a commercial environment (e.g. pet shops, zoos and/or demonstrators); or
• used for scientific research or educational displays.
Keeping controlled animals without a licence
You don’t need a licence to keep a controlled animal if you:
• obtained it lawfully from another person who holds a licence for the animal or from a person in another State who is authorised to sell or give away the animal;
• keep the animal for your own personal enjoyment; and
• hold it for 6 months.
There is no limit to the number of controlled animals that an unlicensed person may keep at any one time.
It is illegal for an unlicensed person to display a controlled animal for a commercial purpose. This means the person cannot display the animal:
• in a public place in a way that may cause another person to believe the animal is for sale; or
• to market a particular product, service or business name, especially a product to house or maintain the animal.

Please advise after looking at this

www.ehp.qld.gov.au/register/p01389aa.pdf

Guideline
Page 1 of 7 • 120712
Department of Environment and Heritage Protection
Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (Department of Environment and Heritage Protection) ABN 46 640 294 485
Wildlife management
Keeping wildlife privately in Queensland — Conditions and restrictions — Keeping and using controlled animals without a recreational wildlife licence
Background
Species listed in part 2 of schedule 3 of the Nature Conservation (Wildlife Management) Regulation 2006 (the Wildlife Management Regulation) are usually referred to as ‘controlled animals’. These are listed at the end of this guideline.
The laws that apply to the keeping and using of controlled animals vary depending upon whether or not you hold a licence for the animal. If you hold a licence, the same laws that apply to other species you keep under your licence also apply to a controlled animal.
This guideline only applies to a person who does not hold a recreational wildlife licence for controlled animals being live birds. If you have a recreational wildlife licence, or intend to get one, please refer to the guideline ‘Keeping wildlife privately in Queensland — Conditions and restrictions — Keeping and using controlled, commercial, recreational, restricted or international animals under a recreational wildlife licence’.
This guideline deals only with the keeping and use of wildlife for private recreational use in Queensland. It does not relate to animals that are:
• taken from the wild as sick, injured or orphaned animals for rehabilitation or release;
• used in a commercial environment (e.g. pet shops, zoos and/or demonstrators); or
• used for scientific research or educational displays.
Keeping controlled animals without a licence
You don’t need a licence to keep a controlled animal if you:
• obtained it lawfully from another person who holds a licence for the animal or from a person in another State who is authorised to sell or give away the animal;
• keep the animal for your own personal enjoyment; and
• hold it for 6 months.
There is no limit to the number of controlled animals that an unlicensed person may keep at any one time.
It is illegal for an unlicensed person to display a controlled animal for a commercial purpose. This means the person cannot display the animal:
• in a public place in a way that may cause another person to believe the animal is for sale; or
• to market a particular product, service or business name, especially a product to house or maintain the animal.

I think the difference is "controlled animal" and "restricted animal"

- - - Updated - - -

I think the difference is "controlled animal" and "protected animal"

Hello all

I think I was given a bum steer.........was given this document at the goldcoast show.

Looks like this document relates to Birds

found this inside the document ......This guideline only applies to a person who does not hold a recreational wildlife licence for controlled animals being live birds

Thanks alll for the info.

The only thing I have heard of in Qld about not needing a reptile licence to keep a reptile, is if the reptile came from the property and stays on the property.... ie, a kid gets a frog out of the dam and wants to keep it. I mentioned this before and got shot down in flames, so it is probably wrong :lol:

What you say about the 6 month thing doesnt sound right..... best give derm a call and ask, to be sure ;)

From what i have heard (from Martin Fingland, who was involved in writing the legislation) that rule that says you may take a animal from you property only applies to amphibians not reptiles, so what you thought is not entirely wrong. It was designed so that young children would still be able to learn from and enjoy raising tadpoles into frogs. The rule was that you may only take wild amphibians if you DO NOT have a licence for keeping reptiles and amphibians (otherwise you might intentionally or accidentally mix them with bought captive bred amphibians or sell them). The animals must be kept on the property that they were found and i believe (though i am not sure of this last bit) that the adults are then to be released back to the wild.

As far as I know this is the only situation that anyone should have a reptile or amphibian without a recreational licence to keep reptiles and amphibians. Not that i am an expert on the matter, just parroting what i have heard from someone who is an expert.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back