snake ID please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

julespython

Not so new Member
Reaction score
can somone id this elapid for me. i found it in a town near ballarat which is a town near melbourne for those of you that dont know ha. sorry about the poor picture quality.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 266326

Attachments

• IMG_2527.jpg
    IMG_2527.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 189
Looks like a little whip snake, Rhinoplocephalus flagellum[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]. [/FONT]

BROWN SNAKE MATE DROP IT AND RUN FOR THE HILLS............little whip snake going by the black outline around the scales but would be handy to see the head

If you genuinely want a positive ID you have to do a lot better than that. Not only a clear head shot but also ventrals and particularly anal and sub-caudals and a side shot of the head region. In addition a description of the snake’s behaviour, what habiat it was found and how it reacted to being caught can all be of use.

If it has a dark blotch over the head with a narrow lighter band over the nostrils, as I suspect it does, then you have a Little Whip Snake Parasuta flagellum.

Blue

Within 150 Kms of ballarat are 3 species of Parasuta it is most likely P flagellum.

cheers
scott

There are three other species of Parasuta in Victoria spectabilis being found in big desert, nigriceps being found in central and western vic and dwyeri being found from central vic throughout to the north eastern part of Victoria. Considering It is a town near Ballarat it would be a Little Whip Snake (Parasuta flagellum).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back