I was followed!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackDog4

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Was up at Wellington Dam National Forest today doing a spot of herping and had that dreadful feeling of something watching me. Anyway I was up on a stone clearing on the side of a hill, looking for reptiles and whatnot, and as I turned around and took two steps down, I stopped just to take in the view, and heard two definite footsteps in the forest to my right. Initially I thought it may have been someone (not sure why someone would be there) but after no reply to my hellos I doubted. I ignored and took a few fast steps down the hill again. I then heard 4 fast footsteps again to my right. At this point I was curious so I threw a stone in that direction but nothing happened. 2 more steps down the hill and I heard 2 steps in the bush. This continued until I was only about 20m. ffrom the side of the road( initially at about 80). When I got back to the car I came to the conclusion that it was either a big goanna or a sasquatch( I watch too much Finding Bigfoot)
. Be aware that the footsteps.were loudsimilar to what a person would make when bushbashing. Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on what it could have been

Wellington is in Collie Sw Wa, I don't think we have Bush Turkeys or wallabies

maybe a fox or something
lol what is a sasquatch is'nt that a vegetable??

Nothing to worry about, probably just a shy psychopath. I was up at Walhalla a little while ago, poor-man's camping (too lazy to set up a tent so I slept in my car like a hobo), got up for a toilet break in the middle of the night and felt like someone/something was watching me. It was pitch black and I'd only grabbed the little LED torch to make sure I didn't stub my toes on anything, so I couldn't see squat, so I called the dog over, he came right over to me, hackles up, growling real softly at something off in the scrub. Scared the crap out of me! Straight back to the car, no more wee-breaks for me!

Often a roo sounds like a biped. The way the step sort of front feet back feet, sounds much the same as a yowie. They move this way when moving slowly instead of hopping. And when you walk they walk, when you stop they stop. Very off putting

Just guessing but it sounds exactly like mongrel dogs (mixed dingo bitsa bitsa and some poodle or whatever) to me. I have had a few run ins with them over the years and it sounds exactly the same. Not sure about the West Coast but on the East Coast when you are by yourself they are not that uncommon. Generally hanging back about 20-30yards checking you out. All the larger natives tend to either be very quiet or bolt.

Of course it could have just been the garden variety nutter who turn up in the bush also. Personally I prefer dealing with the dogs compared to them.

Would a goanna behave like this as I have seen some big ones 2m+ in the area, otherwise it could have been an Aussie Panther or some other rare creature.

Wellington is in Collie Sw Wa, I don't think we have Bush Turkeys or wallabies

Being in Collie explains it. Could be any number of things or weirdo's out that way. Even the reptiles are scared to come out such as my herping experience there is concerned.

Sounds like every urban legend / horror movie . Strange noises in the bush ; call out , throw stones , sprain ankle , go upstairs or outside . Why do people always temp fate ? Just get in the car , lock the doors and leave . Unless you are Chuck Norris of course ;]

Elapidae1 hit the nail on the head I reckon. you were in Collie haha :D

could have been anything but you got to be careful there are some sickos out there and they will take advantage of the vulnerable. I'm getting a bit to big to be seen as a readily "easy target" but if anyone gets ambushed by surprise and injures themselves by falling in a bad way anyone would be stuffed. It is also a different ball game if one has a knife or even worse a gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back