No Name Creek at last!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveNT

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Well finally after 25 years I have cleansed my soul in the pure crystal waters of No Name Creek.
What a place. No-one has been here for a century. With the miracle of GPS we were able to "bush bash" to a spot just above the creek. (An all day process). But what a reward when we got there.

DSC_0042_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0053_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0057_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0060_edited-1.jpg

Down the creek past beautiful pools and stunning country to the "big hole" down the bottom. Daz prepares the rod for Sooty Grunters (1 cast 1 fish) There were snake skins of various sizes everywhere but we only saw yellow tree snakes this trip.

DSC_0070_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0067_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0062_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0071_edited-1.jpg

Darlyn in a shady cave. Osbeckia flowers lined the creek. Daz whips lunch out of the pool. Sooty Grunter or Black Bream. All were released except one big fat one that provided our lunch, cooked on the coals. Numnumnumnum

DSC_0078_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0074_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0073_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0081_edited-1.jpg

1) Art sites were rare (any paintings done in yellow ochre, clay or charcoal have long since vanished. Only the ones done with haemetite (iron ore) actually soak into the sandstone and survive. 2) Kapok bush pods opening up to release the parachute seeds. 3) Plenty of caves for man or beast when the rain sets in or to escape the sun. 4) black shags also enjoying a feast of sooty grunter.
DSC_0091_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0089_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0082_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0092_edited-1.jpg

1) One of many varieties of Carlia skinks. There were firetail skinks also. 2) Cave (happy home to many judging by the scats and tracks). 3) One of a million tiny springs flowing from the rock walls. 4)

DSC_0100_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0102_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0103.jpg
DSC_0113_edited-1.jpg

1) What a view! 2) Even though we missed the AFL Grand Final we got watch these whirlygig beetles fight for a piece of white stuff from one end of the pond to the other. (South Pond won!) 3) Dragon and Damsel flies came in every colour. 4) Littoria meriana (jesus frog) and water strider.

DSC_0121_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0125_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0129_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0132_edited-1.jpg

It was a big effort to get here (very hard on vehicles and tyres going cross country) but absolutely worth it. It's very late in the year, super hot and you never know when the Wet will break. We have to cross a major river which can rise quickly. We only spent 2 nights here and got hammered by the first thunderstorms of the year at 2am this morning. We'll go back next year after the Wet to explore the entire system (another 30km of creeks feed into No Name.)

The rock figs are incredibly tenacious clinging on to sheer rock walls. And how is last night's sunset. Phew, knackered but happy believe me :)

Well worth 25 years waiting to get to this place!

DSC_0137_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0146_edited-1.jpg

For some reason the pics loaded in a different sequence. (sorry bout that)

Last edited:
Wow wow wow!

Would love to have a motion sensor camera set up in one of those caves, who knows what youd find.

Wow wow wow!

Would love to have a motion sensor camera set up in one of those caves, who knows what youd find.

One of the best things was seeing BIG v. mertensi all along the creek and only one cane toad right down the bottom. I want to do a proper fauna/ flora survey next year. It's a truly wild place.

Wow, Steve. Lucky buggers, the lot of you. :)

Also happy to hear you saw mature V. mertensi. I love those guys and I've been really worried about what the encroaching cane toad invasion is doing to them.

Thanks for sharing the photos, even if you can't tell us the location - and I totally understand why you can't.

The road, the future road and road planning

No Name 126.jpg
No Name 060.jpg
No Name 063.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Stevent exploring and cooling off.

No Name 114.jpg
No Name 108.jpg
No Name 095.jpg

Attachments

• No Name 071.jpg
    No Name 071.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 164
  • No Name 080.jpg
    No Name 080.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 207
  • No Name 081.jpg
    No Name 081.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Thanks Darlyn. As the bloke with the camera I never Get to see me!

A couple more shots

DSC_0093_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0083_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0114_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0045_edited-1.jpg

Having a recovery day today (also find out if my staked $330 tyre is repairable and can my bash plate be knocked back into shape ha ha)

Well the tyre couldn't be salvaged and I'm up for a bit of work on the running gear. And my fave pants disintergrated but what is money for? To get to places like this! Cant wait for next time.

DSC_0115_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0147_edited-1.jpg

Oh and we are united that the name of this place shall stay No Name Creek.

Last edited:
Ah yes an All Terrain Vehicle, unfortunately I couldn't afford a drum of AvGas atm and really there's very few safe landing spots on this creek. Would love to learn to fly one. Maybe when I can no longer do it the hard way :)

How do you know there hasn't been anyone there for a century?

Mate you have found some of Australia's best kept secrets. And I'm glad it is some one like you that has a love of the land and animals, respect for all things nature. I rue the day when just any one can find no name creek. Keep up your good work mate. And enjoy your amazing trips.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back