help on explaining differencr of pet n wild snakes to a toddler plz

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bredli_python

Reaction score
Hey all.

So my wonderful daughter is now 15mths... My bredli is doing fab he will be 3yrs in Feb (I think)... Hes extremely friendly n my daughter loves him, loves holding n patting him (I bath him first n wash her hands b4 n after...)

Anyhow my dilemma is with the warmer weather coming n wild snakes will be out n about... How do I explain to her not to go near them etc? She knows how to say snake already ;) shes sooo cleaver <3 I alway make sure I say for her not to go near the snake unless someone is with her but shes loves watching him move in his setup but theres a barricade thing so she cant get to him...

How have other parents of children coped, explained, managed? Whats the best way etc?
Im scared she might see a wild snake n wanna go up to it :/

Thanks in advance.

hey there, i started the same topic a few days, some good responses, have a look under "general reptile discussion" and down towards the bottom of the 1st page titled "teaching kids the diference"

wild-touch hit the nail on the head , also if your back yard( or wherever she plays most of the time) allows easy access for snakes then it would probably be a wise move to "snake proof " the best you can

My daughter is now seven and it has been drummed in from about three that some snakes are extremely dangerous and while it's ok or to hold ours with supervision she must never approach any reptile in the wild and that if she see's a snake and leaves it alone it will leave her alone.
The other twist is I regularly have venomous snakes over the warmer months which has made it even more important for her to understand this. and she knows to keep a wide berth of the holding tubs.
She will even notice if tubs are are out of place and ask if they contain venomous snakes.

I drummed it into my girls that if they see a snake that looked like any of ours, that they were never to try and go near them. Our snakes have names mostly for this reason (even though I didn't think of it at the time) because they learned that "Opals and Lara" are friendly but others that look like them are not.

I would quiz them everytime they were with me when I was with the snakes. I'd ask them "What would you do if you saw a snake outside". They would reply that it looked like Opals but wasn't Opals so they stay away from it. "And what about other snakes that might not look like Opals?" "Only our snakes are friendly. Don't go near any other snakes."

At such a young age I'd say strict supervision is the only way. When they can communicate a bit better you can then teach them verbally.

- - - Updated - - -

At such a young age I'd say strict supervision is the only way. When they can communicate a bit better you can then teach them verbally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back