Brown Tree Snake Night tiger question (plus pics)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greggles91

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just got a male night tiger yearling and have a few questions for any experienced keepers out there in aussie python land!

im looking at introducing a female normal brown tree snake into his enclosure with him. will this be ok? unless i separate them and put them through a cooling process they shouldn't spontaneously breed should they? wouldn't want a yearling female who doesn't have the fat on her becoming gravid.

having said that if i decided to breed them in a years time or so would this be ok? i understand they are hard to breed and that it wouldn't definitively be either a night night tiger or a normal phase just want to make sure its ok and not irresponsible on my half for example "peeing off other breeders" or breeding "non pure snakes".

anyway!

heres couple of photos of my new night tiger (apparently a candy cane form.. what do u think?). will get better photos he gets some more rest and settles into his new enclosure.

cheers,

photo.jpgphoto 1.jpg

I thought they were different sub-species?
Boiga irregularis & Boiga irregularis fusca.

Personally I would not keep them together in case they breed (as I dont like mixing sub-species and she is far too young to safely produce eggs).
Just keep an eye out for a female Night Tiger, they do come up from time to time, I just scored two to keep my male happy just 2 days ago.

I thought they were different sub-species?
Boiga irregularis & Boiga irregularis fusca.

Personally I would not keep them together in case they breed (as I dont like mixing sub-species and she is far too young to safely produce eggs).
Just keep an eye out for a female Night Tiger, they do come up from time to time, I just scored two to keep my male happy just 2 days ago.

Apparently they have been deemed as just one species now? regardless thanks for the info! may i ask where a bouts you look for snakes up for sale? ive been checking most of the sites for over a week now for a female night tiger.. saw nothing :p
cheers

They are currently both classed as the same to my understanding (this doesn't mean they actually are), but their breeding patterns are timed slightly differently to reflect the areas they come from. I may have a female coming up for sale soon if you're still interested.

They are currently both classed as the same to my understanding (this doesn't mean they actually are), but their breeding patterns are timed slightly differently to reflect the areas they come from. I may have a female coming up for sale soon if you're still interested.

ill PM you rednut. :)

hey mate.... what state are u in and what class licence do u need to own one of these little beauties

hey greggles i keep 2 green tree snakes together they love each other ive read everywhere that these live in colonies (not sure if thats the right description) but they live like that quite happily...

Beautiful boy you have there greggles91.

If it helps, I have a male and female at home at the moment too and have contemplated putting them together. After doing some research and searching the net for a while it seems like there is a general trend to keeping them separate if you can as even if they dont have an obvious issue, stress can be a factor in the long haul and by the time it become apparent, it could be too late. But there seem to be lots of different sides to each story.

In saying that, my boy and girl are roughly the same age (3 years) and Im going to put them together this weekend and see how they behave. I'll let you know how it goes and if I notice anything obvious, but in saying that, there is no gaurentee that the same would happen with your two :)

And yes, thats the "Candy cane" form that alot of us would agree looks stunning.

Hey everyone,

Just got a male night tiger yearling and have a few questions for any experienced keepers out there in aussie python land!

im looking at introducing a female normal brown tree snake into his enclosure with him. will this be ok?

This is where your problem may start, you have just got this snake right?
Have you thought about neccesities in quarantining?
The last thing you want to do is introduce some nasties to your female...
Better being safe than sorry.
I keep all my new snakes sepperate for at least 6 months.
Graeme

This is where your problem may start, you have just got this snake right?
Have you thought about neccesities in quarantining?
The last thing you want to do is introduce some nasties to your female...
Better being safe than sorry.
I keep all my new snakes sepperate for at least 6 months.
Graeme

hey sorry about delayed reply! when i said i was looking at introducing a female in with him i meant, I'm looking at buying and introducing a female with him. nothing would have been immediate. i 100 percent agree with you in regards to quarantining new animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back