PayPal EMail Scams

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mysnakesau

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
We have received a number of emails that appear to be from paypal. My husband responded to the first one before we realised that the email was NOT from Paypal. It asked for our name, address, phone number, credit card details, passwords etc to be updated for some new system. After completing these details, clicking again, on the link in the email took us to a completely different website - Roslyn's Coaches. Nothing to do with pay pal at all.

We have already stopped our accounts so IF THE LOSER IS READING THIS YOU AIN'T GETTING OUR MONEY.

Don't reply to any emails from paypal. If you don't know if its legitimate or not, then don't bother with it. Here is a link for you to look at to help you identify spam emails..

https://www.paypal-australia.com.au/security/prevent-identity-theft

PayPal will never ask you for your sensitive info in an email and will always address you by your real name.

If they do ask you for sensitive info, it will only be after logging into your account on the PayPal.com web page. Stay safe ppl

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

never EVER click on a link in ANY email. never ever give out any details to anyone.

I always respond to those emails and they never contact me again... maybe because I'm a 72 year old transgender prostitute living at 123 wallaby way sydney going by the name of Kissy Myass.

I always respond to those emails and they never contact me again... maybe because I'm a 72 year old transgender prostitute living at 123 wallaby way sydney going by the name of Kissy Myass.

Really?, sounds hot. Thats just around the corner from me... maybe we should meet up ;)

I too have had scam emails from "PayPal"... When I contacted PayPal, I was asked to forward the email to them (where it was "checked") and they sent an email back verifying it was a scam... Furthermore, while I was still on the phone to them, the lovely bloke sent me an email for an Iconix program - bit like a Norton/AVG just for email... Never had a problem since (touch wood!)...

Ive had a pretty smart one sent to me a few times lately regarding confirmation of small 70-80 dollar payments that i havnt made. Its a similar email address as paypals but i know it isnt right. Presumably its a fishing email to get ure login details when u follow there link. Had it sent a few times now

Just more advice guys, banks and other companies like that will NEVER do that email stuff, they will always be letters and what not, if you get an email from a bank just don't reply at all.

I always receive phishing emails from imaginary people from ebay.

An email I got from 'paypal' with an attachment you have to download. DO NOT DOWNLOAD ANYTHING. This is probably a keylogger that will find out all your passwords.

Notice how the email says 'suspicious activity' this is apart of the tricks, this will make it look legit. Irony huh.

Capture.jpg

Some emails from phishing scams.

addaw.JPG

fdfaea.jpg

I have lots of experience with this sort of stuff, you must make sure that everything is 100% legit, download a very good virus/internet security program (I recommend Avast) that will block phishing websites and block any trojan/malware on your computer.
I do not mean to brag, but I have lots of experience with computers, I build them for people and help many people on the internet with problems they have.

If you want any information regarding this or computers please PM me and I will see if I can help.

We have received a number of emails that appear to be from paypal. My husband responded to the first one before we realised that the email was NOT from Paypal. It asked for our name, address, phone number, credit card details, passwords etc to be updated for some new system. After completing these details, clicking again, on the link in the email took us to a completely different website - Roslyn's Coaches. Nothing to do with pay pal at all.

We have already stopped our accounts so IF THE LOSER IS READING THIS YOU AIN'T GETTING OUR MONEY.

Don't reply to any emails from paypal. If you don't know if its legitimate or not, then don't bother with it. Here is a link for you to look at to help you identify spam emails..

https://www.paypal-australia.com.au/security/prevent-identity-theft

There is a load of identical activity going on in the UK at the moment, Some of these Emails can look quite convincing using the real logos and I am sure some people get taken in by them. It never ceases to amaze me sometimes, separated by 10,000 miles and you have identical problems to contend with, speaks volumes about human nature I suppose.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

Why exactly?

PayPal can't find all of them on their own. Feedback helps them identify phishy email, I guess.

I think the reason we got stung so easy is that our credit card is expiring and thought it was a link to update our credit card. We emptied our accounts to protect our money and have been in touch with the bank who have helped us, too.

Thank you for your advice.

yep as mysnakesau said, paypal cant find them all on their own and really appreciate being forwarded any suspicious emails so they can review them

i got one this week in regards to some payment which required i log into paypal thru a link in the email and enter my password, i know about the scams having had several sus emails over the years so i just forwarded it to paypal

this is a copy of what paypal sent back to me.... explains why they need to not only know about these emails but see them

""Hello mrsj,

Thanks for forwarding that suspicious-looking email. You're right - it
was a phishing attempt, and we're working on stopping the fraud. By
reporting the problem, you've made a difference!

Identity thieves try to trick you into revealing your password or other
personal information through phishing emails and fake websites. To learn
more about online safety, click "Security Center" on any PayPal webpage.

Every email counts. When you forward suspicious-looking emails to
[email protected], you help keep yourself and others safe from identity
theft.

Your account security is very important to us, so we appreciate your
extra effort.

Thanks,""

Companies have all this information on file, why would they need to email you to confirm? I get these all the time and if it's not the rediculously bad grammar and spelling it's the email like [email protected] lol

All these scammers are getting smarter by the day. To the point where they now use your real name and cloak their email to have the same domain as a real company - e.g. [email protected]

Banks, creditors and the likes NEVER email you to obtain personal information and/or offer you stuff that requires you to provide account/personal details, so never open any emails from your bank, PayPal etc. unless you have been in direct contact with them via email over a matter regarding your account.

side note: my company has been hit a few times by FedEx email viruses. So you guys should watch out for this aswell. You get a fake email saying to run this ***** (lol) to get your con note..... i still cant believe how many users clicked and ran this *****.... the company doesnt use FedEx AT ALL....sigh

Was pretty funny though, every single company printer throughout Aus/NZ dumped their paper trays with spam haha, had to be a good 500+ printers lol. Hurts me to think how many trees were killed in that short 40 mins or so :(

Just dont have an email account = safest way :p Do EVERYTHING via post, just gotta look out for white powder then :)

edit: Why does it block DOT E X E when typed?

I am so glad we recognised our mistake virtually as quickly as we'd hit the submit button. Someone in Morroco has tried using our credit card to purchase something for $24. But our bank has frozen that number, and we emptied the account any, so they can't get any. As I have learnt since, its little bits like this that help the scammers win. $24 doesn't sound a lot, but when they are hitting millions of ppl up for the same amount, they are certainly winning.

Another I was told to watch out for is small direct debits being taken from your credit card accounts. An acquaintence (I have a memory block, suddently can't remember how to spell acquaintence. It doesn't look right). Anyway this person discovered that $1.80 was being direct debited from his Credit card each week for 6 months. The bank traced it to a terrorist group in Afganastan. Little bits from lots of ppl goes a long way to funding their projects. People BEWARE.

Speaking of scams, i got CC frauded on the weekend. My wife checked our account this morning to see if you mortgage payment had gone through and over the weekend we had been skimmed out of $1878, the exact same amount my CC got done for over last Xmas. I have since disputed it with the bank and they are sending out a new card. Ive changed all my passwords for online stuff and ran a shedload of virus checks on my computer.

Funnily enough, the damn bank didnt even bork at the transaction, so it was lucky that my wife had checked or it would have gone un-noticed long enough for them to get the money. We got it just in time to keep it in the processing stage and so they didnt get a cent, but we still have to now go through all the malarky of getting it back. They say they are all secure and whatnot but this just proves them wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back