Help on new Baby jungle python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nagini91

Reaction score
Hey guys, I only just got a new jungle python today and I sm farely new to all of this. Any help on how to handle and advice on the heating requirements would be greatly appreciated.eg the temperAtures for hot end/ cool end. Are thermostAts and digital thermometers important? Do you need them? Any help would be greAtly appreciated. Thanks

Without a thermostat you heat mat/lights could make your enclosure an oven, so you end up with smelly snake. Without a thermometer you don't know the temp ? Are you trolling ?

so you bought a snake without a thermostat and a thermometer?

Last edited:
As a rough guide temps should be 32 hot end 26 cool end.

Thermostats and thermometers are not just important, for the novice keeper they are pretty much a necessity.

have you had anything to do with snakes before? did you do any research on jungles before getting one

thats what im thinking looks like you bought a snake and didnt research anything and the questions you are asking are what you should know before purchasing a snake

Despite agreeing with everyone in saying that you should research before buying a python on impulse, I can see past that and it would be best to help you out.
Make sure your enclosure has a hot and a cold end, so if your jungle overheats he can retreat to the colder side of the enclosure. This is why you need a thermometre (Highly recommend thermostat aswell if you're new to this) so that you may monitor the temperatures and ensure that youre providing enough warmth. It is also essential that you give your snake a hide (especially when they're new) so that it can settle in and feel safe in the middle of a very stressful situation.

Any specific things you need to know can be found on these boards if you look hard enough. The search bar on your top right can be a great refrence point if there are some things you're unsure about and also make sure to check out the "Wiki" section.

Hope this helped

Is it in a clickclack, tank, exoterra tank, melamine tank or what. Lights heating it or mat/cord. Need more info. Dont worry about handling until the housing req's are sorted. Do a search. And if you did purchase the snake without researching first, you would'nt be the first one:D.

Thank you rob n son. :)Yes in fact I did do alot of research on jungles reptile newb, big bang and marzy.I just like to double check and see if i am doing everything right and perfect . And as for the rest of you guys. Geez what's with the ****en negativity? If you are going to be smart about things. Then don't post anything at all!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you variety and whyme :)

these questions you need to ask and double check before buying the snake, doing it after getting the snake will get you criticism from some people.

I've housed it in a reptile one glass tank with a ceramic heating lamp housed over the top :)

Thank you rob n son. :)Yes in fact I did do alot of research on jungles reptile newb, big bang and marzy.I just like to double check and see if i am doing everything right and perfect . And as for the rest of you guys. Geez what's with the ****en negativity? If you are going to be smart about things. Then don't post anything at all!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you variety and whyme :)

thats what most people are like on this app.

What wattage CHE? What size tank? One of the best things you can buy as a keeper, new or old, is a temp gun. Those stick on therms are really only good for spot checking, especially if you have yer wee one housed in a glass tank. They read the temp of the glass more than anything.

Cover 3 sides of the wee ones tank with a paper bag. Make him/her feel as secure as you can. Try not to mess with it for at least a week. Just change the water and check yer temps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

I also have a young jungle and when I first got her she was a nightmare to handle. They can be a bit snappy but I found by just picking her up with a hook and then letting her come to me when she is comfortable has worked heaps well. I handle her every few days few a half hour or so and she is doing fine. Still a bit snappy but she has calmed down a lot.

And with the heating hot end 32-34 degrees and the cool end 24-26 is good. I dont use a thermostat at the moment, just a couple of thermometers and I have insulated my glass enclosure with some styrofoam around the outside.

I also have a young jungle and when I first got her she was a nightmare to handle. They can be a bit snappy but I found by just picking her up with a hook and then letting her come to me when she is comfortable has worked heaps well. I handle her every few days few a half hour or so and she is doing fine. Still a bit snappy but she has calmed down a lot.

And with the heating hot end 32-34 degrees and the cool end 24-26 is good. I dont use a thermostat at the moment, just a couple of thermometers and I have insulated my glass enclosure with some styrofoam around the outside.
get thermosates ASAP mate, 25 bucks can save the life of your snake, not having a go at you but you really need them you cant be there every day. one day it will bite you in the bum. snakes are pretty easy to look after once you have the thermostat set right, dont go by the numbers on the dial if you have one of those, place thermometers in different places in the enclosure untill you ge the happy medium, too hot one end but too cold the other can mean too higher wattage globes at the hot end

BIGBANG said:
one day it will bite you in the bum. snakes are pretty easy to look after once you have the thermostat set right,

In saying this, also ensure you don't get a globe wattage that is too powerful for the enclosure. Thermostats are great but they shouldn't be relied on either... there is a possibility for the thermostat to fail and for the globe to cook your snake!

- - - Updated - - -

get thermosates ASAP mate, 25 bucks can save the life of your snake, not having a go at you but you really need them you cant be there every day. one day it will bite you in the bum. snakes are pretty easy to look after once you have the thermostat set right, dont go by the numbers on the dial if you have one of those, place thermometers in different places in the enclosure untill you ge the happy medium, too hot one end but too cold the other can mean too higher wattage globes at the hot end

Yea I have a habistat on the way for the new enclosure I'm building at the moment mate. They temps in the enclosure she's in at the moment are perfect though, I have 3 thermometers in there and the temps stay consistently at (within 1 or 2 degrees) 30 to 34 for the hot end, 27 to 30 in the middle and 23 to 26 at the cool end. And the snake is healthy and happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back