Releasing domestic white doves into the wild?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Snowman

There was a very sad funeral in the news today. And this has nothing to do with that funeral.

What I am wondering, is the practice of releasing white doves an acceptable practice?
I think most of the doves will just die. They are not homing pigeons and not raised to fend for themselves in the wild. They are not native to Australia and if they do survive they are just adding to the number of ferral birds already found in Australia and competition for our natives. I dont know if they carry diseases and such, but it is also a concern. It just seems strange to me that people are allowed to release them, and is it worth it for the few seconds of viewing it gives.

What are your thoughts?

4297708-3x4-340x453.jpg

I thought they were homing pigeons. Wouldn't that make more sense? You've got them, you sell them, you've still got them.

I just read that they are supposed to return home. Maybe they are rock pigeons?

Last edited by a moderator:
Could doves be trained to be homing doves?

All we did to train our pigeons was keep them in their flight with the doors closed until they bred. Once the eggs hatched, we opened the doors and they just always came back to look after the chicks. We started with 6 and over about 3 years we had well over 150 but that's cos random pigeons would join our flock lol.

Or they could just be white pigeon lol. They look quite big for doves in that pic.

Sorry I didn't answer your questions though.

Last edited:
Could doves be trained to be homing doves?

All we did to train our pigeons was keep them in their flight with the doors closed until they bred. Once the eggs hatched, we opened the doors and they just always came back to look after the chicks. We started with 6 and over about 3 years we had well over 150 but that's cos random pigeons would join our flock lol.

Or they could just be white pigeon lol. They look quite big for doves in that pic.

Sorry I didn't answer your questions though.

Definately pure white pigeons. As for training them, once they home to one place it is hard to get them to change. Grandparents raced pigeons for years and any that had been raced then sold always ended up as breeders for the other flyers

"doves" used for wedding, funerals and other ceremonies are trained homing pigeons - DovesAway.com.au - Home. I was offered this by my wedding organiser a few years ago but we opted to spend the money on more practical wedding stuff, like booze :)

From what or heard dad talk about (he's raced pigeons for decades), doves are the same as pigeons. They don't just get lost and die in the wild lol. They can fly thousands of miles to return home. Doves are probably just kept by pigeon enthusiasts that prefer the show breeds rather than for racing purposes.

Definately pure white pigeons. As for training them, once they home to one place it is hard to get them to change. Grandparents raced pigeons for years and any that had been raced then sold always ended up as breeders for the other flyers

Yeh buying birds from other breeders is a problem. I remember when my dad moved out, him and mum used the pigeons to send notes between each other while they were still being homed at dads new place hahaha my parents always were a bit slow to catch up with the times...

And yeh, probably just fantails or one of the much prettier pigeon breeds. Doves would be smaller I'm pretty sure, whereas fantails are a normal pigeon size, just much nicer :)

From what or heard dad talk about (he's raced pigeons for decades), doves are the same as pigeons. They don't just get lost and die in the wild lol. They can fly thousands of miles to return home. Doves are probably just kept by pigeon enthusiasts that prefer the show breeds rather than for racing purposes.
When talking doves I'm referring to the smaller birds rather than pigeons. They aren't capable of homing. Unless of course you are calling pigeons doves as the ones in the picture seem to be.
I've kept and bred a few species of doves over the years.

"The White Dove, also known as the Rock Dove, is from the order Columbiformes, which includes doves and pigeons. Scientifically, there is no distinction between doves and pigeons, and the names are often used interchangeably. For the most part, "dove" is used to describe the smaller bird, and "pigeon", the larger. The smaller bird has no "homing" instinct, and cannot be trained to return to its loft once released. Thus, the larger Homing Pigeon with its strong instinct to return to its loft is trained for releases and races. "

Last edited by a moderator:
When talking doves I'm referring to the smaller birds rather than pigeons. They aren't capable of homing. Unless of course you are calling pigeons doves as the ones in the picture seem to be.
I've kept and bred a few species of doves over the years.

"The White Dove, also known as the Rock Dove, is from the order Columbiformes, which includes doves and pigeons. Scientifically, there is no distinction between doves and pigeons, and the names are often used interchangeably. For the most part, "dove" is used to describe the smaller bird, and "pigeon", the larger. The smaller bird has no "homing" instinct, and cannot be trained to return to its loft once released. Thus, the larger Homing Pigeon with its strong instinct to return to its loft is trained for releases and races. "

Oh we'll there you go :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back