Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry if this has been brought up before, but I'm looking at soon getting some adult enclosures for some carpets. According to the Code, does that mean that the standard 4x2x2 is no longer acceptable? I've read it as it is, but admit to not making any sense of the numbers and as a newbie to the scene I'm not sure what to do.

I'm sorry if this has been brought up before, but I'm looking at soon getting some adult enclosures for some carpets. According to the Code, does that mean that the standard 4x2x2 is no longer acceptable? I've read it as it is, but admit to not making any sense of the numbers and as a newbie to the scene I'm not sure what to do.
At the moment the code is a draft so you dont know what or if cage sizes will be included.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, might just hold off on new enclosures for the moment. Thanks wokka.

Wow this is still floating around... I was selected, I was told randomly to comment on this document at least 5/6 years ago... I appreciate your efforts in posting it up for the whole community to look at as that was what my original suggestion was... we only had the two snakes and said I was the least likely person to consult... we had Noodles and Gorgeous one lives in a long cage and one lives in a tall cage.. pretty common sense stuff... end of conversation.... However back then we didn't have the import/export crap going on either... what a mess... I doubt that there is any way of publicly enacting any of these policies unless they have been released for public consultation and discussion... perhaps that's what's been taking them so long... It could be noted that the original document included diagrams with dimensions to assist us poor numbnuts in making our calculations.. does anyone else recall this...I've changed computers otherwise I'm sure I'd still have it on there somewhere...

Last edited:
If you're in Qld SissyMum, this doesn't apply to you guys... yet...

The matter is still being pushed in NSW however...

Jamie

Lol weird, the government take reptile keeping way too seriously. And very likely just for extra money from people.... Reptiles are normal pets just like cats, dogs, fish, horses, etc. Just not as popular since everyone has different interests in pets. This licensing, fee stuff is bull*****. They want us to pay them to keep our own pets and making everything more & more complicated even if the animal is clearly in a good environment, happy, healthy. Far out it costs enough just for the pet alone o_O
Yes, you need to make sure you have all the correct equipment for your reptile but come on.. they are taking it way too far. Its not like people are keeping them cruely. People put a lot of time, money and effort in to make sure their pet has the best life possible. I think people should just make sure they can look after their reptile responsibly, and be over 18 when they purchase etc. and have proof of the right equipment... then leave it at that. And if someone sees or knows of a reptile (or just like any pet at all anyway) being mistreated or in poor condition/environment, then report it and THAT should be when the law comes in. Making people pay to keep them constantly and bothering them about changing things and unneccessarily buying different things, charging all these fees etc, is just ridiculous! The only reason people REALLY need licenses is for emergency/vet purposes. Otherwise its just pointless..... They're normal pets! And people who cant provide all their things dont even bother getting them! (well I havent seen it anyway) Ughh..
>_>

wow

there are plenty of people around that need to be educated about what their 'pet' needs. If you dont believe it I am sure both myself and many others could show you pics that would make your blood boil.

Secondly, not wanting to join the ranks of haters and trolls on here but seriously you want to make licensing an age issue? I know plenty of keepers under 18 that take better care of their reps then alot of others, including my 8yr old daughter who is already taking an interest in herps. I take serious offense to the age issue coming up when it shouldn't. We got my daughter a spotted for her 8th Birthday, not because it was a spur of the moment thing (I personally dont really like spotteds) and not because she begged...because she has taken such an interest in the last couple of years in our herping and helped me week in and week out to do things like clean out enclosures and help with rats and mice bins etc. Seriously? Don't make it about age, there are plenty that are both young and old that take plenty of interest and others that need to take more! We are now looking at giving her one of our reduced pattern womas for Christmas...oh and by the way, we have mates for these and as far as I'm concerned if she is cleaning out the enclosures, feeding them, weighing them etc and looking after their general day to day stuff...she gets half the sale price for anything she manages to breed. Not bad for an 8yr old I must say....

On the original subject of enclosures...yep if you go for something that is a decent height/dimension mix you are fine. The legislation they are talking about is making sure the snakes have plenty of room to grow etc this will be different from a ground dweller to something that spends most of its time hunting around to something that is fairly static in its enclosure...have fun regulating it!

Goodluck with the enclosures :D

No technically we're in NSW and I am very aware of this draft document that has literally been floating around for years.

Jamie

- - - Updated - - -

Jamie technically we're in NSW Tweed Coast (just easier to say Gold Coast) and I am very aware of this draft document that has literally been floating around for years, as I said the original even had diagrams.
Not to sure about the age limit thing tho as I made my daughter wait until she was ten to get her licence in her name, she had an interest in all things snake since being a toddler - I on the other hand had to be convinced and back then, the age to get a licence was 10 not sure what it is now? She also helped me for the first 5 or 6 years until she got a boyfriend lol...
Then he helped for a couple of years and now they live between houses and aren't always home to help, they're 19 & 18 & it's all up to mum lol... However that is the point children don't live in isolation and like any pet, parents know the associated housing, feeding, care, vet expenses etc. prior to agreeing to purchasing, although we take particular care of our animals so as to not have the vet bills lol.. and I've always been taught that a pet is for life and in most snakes that's a long time 20-30 year commitment.
My youngest 7 loves lizards so here we go again with the Beardies mum you clean the poop, chop salad, make sure we have crickets, feed and water and I'll just play with them lol... and tell everyone about my pets lol...

I would like licencing to be like with dogs perhaps a lifetime registration with the a six month grace period so that they are viable. None of this renew every five years crap and I've already had my say about the import/export licencing fees... argghhh
I suppose however that this one way they can keep track of those who are serious about their animals and the other fly by nighters that think there's money to be made in this hobby.. Not even sure if the most popular breeders would ever say they ever really make money?

Jamie

wow

there are plenty of people around that need to be educated about what their 'pet' needs. If you dont believe it I am sure both myself and many others could show you pics that would make your blood boil.

Secondly, not wanting to join the ranks of haters and trolls on here but seriously you want to make licensing an age issue? I know plenty of keepers under 18 that take better care of their reps then alot of others, including my 8yr old daughter who is already taking an interest in herps. I take serious offense to the age issue coming up when it shouldn't. We got my daughter a spotted for her 8th Birthday, not because it was a spur of the moment thing (I personally dont really like spotteds) and not because she begged...because she has taken such an interest in the last couple of years in our herping and helped me week in and week out to do things like clean out enclosures and help with rats and mice bins etc. Seriously? Don't make it about age, there are plenty that are both young and old that take plenty of interest and others that need to take more! We are now looking at giving her one of our reduced pattern womas for Christmas...oh and by the way, we have mates for these and as far as I'm concerned if she is cleaning out the enclosures, feeding them, weighing them etc and looking after their general day to day stuff...she gets half the sale price for anything she manages to breed. Not bad for an 8yr old I must say....

On the original subject of enclosures...yep if you go for something that is a decent height/dimension mix you are fine. The legislation they are talking about is making sure the snakes have plenty of room to grow etc this will be different from a ground dweller to something that spends most of its time hunting around to something that is fairly static in its enclosure...have fun regulating it!

Goodluck with the enclosures :D
You need to be over 18 so they can fine you or send you to jail. They can hardly jail an 8 year old, now can they.

Ummm No Wokka - You have to be over the age of 16 not sure where you got 18 from for NSW applicants?
and the fine for false and misleading information is up to $3300.
Just checked my daughters original application and licence from the beginning of 2005 and it clearly stated that:
"a person who is over the age of 10 years, but a person under the age of 16 years must have the consent of a parent or guardian who will be legally responsible for all activities of the licensed person. The parent or guardian must counter sign the application where indicated below."
So what these means is she had her 5 year licence renewal by the age of 15 years. This seemed to be perfectly acceptable terms and conditions at the time, so wonder what happened to change it?
Licences also changed there prefix from RK to ALK around then...

If this is true, it borders on animal cruelty. Would anyone keep a 2.5m python in a 50x50x50cm cage?
Is it not 20% less than length therefore the tank would have to be 200x 50 x 50? This would mean people had all these huge tanks everywhere.
There is no way they can possible enforce or regulate these tank dimensions as we all know that tank requirements are species specific - they either are like the BHP's and long, wide with not too much height required or tall for climbers
or downright huge; wide and tall for coastals etc.

- - - Updated - - -

No I don't think that would be allowed Michael. I'd missed the 20% bit but there is also a minimum floor/wall area requirement as well. So if one side was 50cm you'd have to make another dimension bigger to still get the overall area required as well. I know it's been said but it just seems like all just a bunch of office workers pulling numbers out of their rectums with no regard for what people like Jamie have been telling them

Like what he said!...

It has been quite some time since this was proposed and I have been well out of the loop.. Does anyone have any new information on the DECC draft? thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back