Hatchling, Yearling or Adult?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PavandEve

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
We're a little new to this and looking for some experienced advice. We're about to get our first snake and are all set for a Stimsons, with a small enclosure all ready to go. Problem is, depending on who you ask depends on whether or not we're better off getting a hatchling, yearling or adult to start with. Just thought we'd open up the can of worms here and see what everyone thinks. Suggestions?

Yeah, I think hatchling would be the best option...Stimmies are good pythons to keep for first time, imo carpets are awesome...But only go with a carpet if your cage setup is suitable to a carpets needs.

Cheers, that seems to be the main argument for the hatchies. Planning an inland carpet and (down the track) possibly an olive. Thought was to start with a Stimsons due to size, etc. and Eve's always wanted one ;)

Cheers, that seems to be the main argument for the hatchies. Planning an inland carpet and (down the track) possibly an olive. Thought was to start with a Stimsons due to size, etc. and Eve's always wanted one ;)

No problem, Stimmies, Childrens and Spotted's are all very good. Don't get me wong :p It all comes down to personal preference. :)

since you got a small enclosure ready to go, stick with a hatchling. and stimmies are good first snakes too, so you can learn as you go. good luck with your new pet.

Id have to agree with majority and say hatchie, So when you do get bitten (Not if you do haha) you will not get the full potential of a fully grown or even a yearling. Also hatchies really do grow with you and its alot better to watch it progress and grow. Also you will know alot more about the snake because its basically a clean slate, Great choice with a stimmi as a first snake too. Excpecting mine from snake ranch early next year :p

Haha, true. Got a twin 6x2x2 at home needing a few things done to be ready to go. Thought was to kick-off with an inland carpet in that but in the meantime have set up a 2x1.5x1.5 for a little Stimmie to start off. Keen to get started and have him (or her, haha) in there but it seems easier to find hatchies rather than yearlings and of course the hatchie will be in a click clack for a year or so making this enclosure useless for a while :( so thought we'd see about the benefits/disadvantages of each

I don't think it makes too much of a difference tbh, we started with a hatchling stimson's pretty much for the same reasons as everyone else (size, inexperience etc), but he wasn't growing fast enough for my liking, so it didn't take us long to get a hatchling carpet... then a yearling carpet... then a couple of adult stimsons... then a few adult carpets... :D

i'v had hatchies in 2ft enclosures before and they have done well in them. i give them a hide to hide in and feel secure, logs, branches, water bowl big enough for them to sit in to help them shed.

i personly do not like click clacks unless the snake is under 3 months. in the wild they don't live in tiny boxs. they roam free in large areas.

so if you do go with the hatchie maybe keep him in the click clack for a couple of weeks to settle in and for you to get use to him, then try him in the 2 foot enclosure and she how he goes.

Haha, I can see that happenin! As said, got the twin enclosure there so pretty sure once this Stimmie is well established (eating, shedding, etc) then the inland carpet won't be far behind! So speaking from experience then, at what point would you move the Stimmie from the click clack to the 2 x 1.5 x 1.5 enclosure? Enclosure all set with heat light, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

i'v had hatchies in 2ft enclosures before and they have done well in them. i give them a hide to hide in and feel secure, logs, branches, water bowl big enough for them to sit in to help them shed.

i personly do not like click clacks unless the snake is under 3 months. in the wild they don't live in tiny boxs. they roam free in large areas.

so if you do go with the hatchie maybe keep him in the click clack for a couple of weeks to settle in and for you to get use to him, then try him in the 2 foot enclosure and she how he goes.

That's awesome. Personally don't like the thought of click clack for very long so good to hear they can "survive" in these conditions. Set-up is hide back left (heat side) and right. Water bowl around the middle and small hollow log on left front with a few artificial plants.

i personly move them into a 2ft wen they are over 3 months if they are happy they stay if not i put them in a 1ft small reptile glass enclosure till they out grow it then into the 2ft.

i personly move them into a 2ft wen they are over 3 months if they are happy they stay if not i put them in a 1ft small reptile glass enclosure till they out grow it then into the 2ft.

Sorry to sound so naieve, but still info gathering... How do you know they're not happy? (Currently trying to upload photo of enclosure set-up)

well some hatchlings do get scared in large enclosures and prefer a smaller safer feeling enclosure. you'll know if they are unhappy e.g striking, not eating hiding ect. thats why i suggested you keep him in a click clack for a few weeks so you get use to him and he settles then try him in the 2ft and see if he is the same or if he is freaked out.

mine have all done great in 2ft expt my bredli so was striking and hissing and was not eating so i put him in a 1ft enclosure and he was back to normal after a few days.

this is his enclosure, much nicer than a click clack, more room for him to move and i can fit in more branches ect
reptiles 017.jpg

It can be hard to know if your snake is happy & secure especially if a newbie. That is why there is heaps of information available on the wiki site right here. There are many different things & most are covered there. as for the choice of snake, go with what you are comfortable with & want from the heart. It depends on who you talk to as thier preference.

Cheers Ian

Have a look at all sizes if you can, personally when I started off with pythons I found a hatchling Antaresia too small, almost like a big worm, get a yearling at least. Makes a more interesting pet.

well some hatchlings do get scared in large enclosures and prefer a smaller safer feeling enclosure. you'll know if they are unhappy e.g striking, not eating hiding ect. thats why i suggested you keep him in a click clack for a few weeks so you get use to him and he settles then try him in the 2ft and see if he is the same or if he is freaked out.

mine have all done great in 2ft expt my bredli so was striking and hissing and was not eating so i put him in a 1ft enclosure and he was back to normal after a few days.

this is his enclosure, much nicer than a click clack, more room for him to move and i can fit in more branches ect
View attachment 267007

Sorry it took awhile but here it is. Doesn't have any substrate yet (still got it bagged so it won't dry out) and doesn't show lights (ceramic heat left and standard light right) but still...

Stimmie Enclosure.jpg

My first snake is a stimmi :) Got her as a hatchling and I have loved the process of watching her grow. She was so cute when I first got her, she would just curl up in my hand and go to sleep! My advice would be either a hatchling or a yearling, especially for a first snake. Up to you, but that way you can grow together. Plus even if it is a bit snappy when you first get it, it will be too small to hurt or put you off handling. Good luck!

Haha, I can see that happenin! As said, got the twin enclosure there so pretty sure once this Stimmie is well established (eating, shedding, etc) then the inland carpet won't be far behind! So speaking from experience then, at what point would you move the Stimmie from the click clack to the 2 x 1.5 x 1.5 enclosure? Enclosure all set with heat light, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

That's awesome. Personally don't like the thought of click clack for very long so good to hear they can "survive" in these conditions. Set-up is hide back left (heat side) and right. Water bowl around the middle and small hollow log on left front with a few artificial plants.

I would be putting his click clack with the lid off (or an opening) inside the big enclosure with plenty of hides in it. If he chooses to stay in the click clack, no probs.... if he chooses to go into the big enclosure and find a nice hide.... good too. I bet he wouldnt be inside the click clack when you go back in a few hours. ;)

I would be putting his click clack with the lid off (or an opening) inside the big enclosure with plenty of hides in it. If he chooses to stay in the click clack, no probs.... if he chooses to go into the big enclosure and find a nice hide.... good too. I bet he wouldnt be inside the click clack when you go back in a few hours. ;)

Hahaha! Good one. Will definetly be giving this a go! Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back