diamond will not strike at food

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGBANG

Reaction score
hey guy i have a diamond yearlng and its the only snake i have ever bought from a pet shop, she will not strike at or take food from the hand, i have to put it somewhere in the enclosure and she will find it and just start eating it, my bredli pair will just about swallow you to your elbow when it comes feed time and snakes in the past have been the same, it is no problem as she has never missed a feed but just wondering if this is a trait of pet shop snakes as pet shop staff probably dont sit there and wait for each snake to eat, they may just chuck a mouse into each cage on feed day.

hey guy i have a diamond yearlng and its the only snake i have ever bought from a pet shop, she will not strike at or take food from the hand, i have to put it somewhere in the enclosure and she will find it and just start eating it, my bredli pair will just about swallow you to your elbow when it comes feed time and snakes in the past have been the same, it is no problem as she has never missed a feed but just wondering if this is a trait of pet shop snakes as pet shop staff probably dont sit there and wait for each snake to eat, they may just chuck a mouse into each cage on feed day.

I don't see the problem if the snake is eating?
I do this on occasions when I don't have time to sit and watch each snake strike.

not a problem mate as i said, just curious as its the first snake that has been like this and its also the first snake i have ever bought from a pet shop,

not all snakes from petshops have this trait, some snakes are just shy feeders.
just make sure you check that it has eaten the feed, don't leave overnight without checking or you might get a smelly rat in the morning.

alot of my snakes will pick it up and eat wen they are ready. but i do have a few that will only eat if i dangle on tweezers. every snake is different. as long as its eating i would not worry about it.

Some snakes are just shy. As others have said, if he's eating, all good. If you have heaps of snakes, it's probably better if they eat like that cos wagging mice in front of a lot of snakes could be time consuming lol.
My albino male doesn't strike or eat off the ground. My missus has to put the rats nose on his mouth and he just opens his mouth and starts eating it while she's holding it. Some snakes are shy and some are just straight up lazy lol.

All of my pythons are fed by laying the food on the floor of the enclosure and letting them feed when they are ready. Saves the big bang and crash as they strike and land.

He prolly just got used to the pet shop staff just lobbing in lunch? I have a couple of snakes that you have to count your fingers after you offer them food and they smash it bigtime.... others have to toung flick it and bury thier nose in the fur.... then slowly turn thier head and open the gob and take it.

The ones that take it gently, after it takes the rat (eventually) I like to tug on the rats tail and make believe the rat is trying to get away so the snake gets more of a feeding response.... make it a bit exciting for the snake :lol: You can try making the rat seem alive... poke its head out from under a fake shrub or from behind rocks etc.... it is really only for your entertainment tho :lol: like the others said.... as long as it is eating ;)

A diamond from a pet shop? :shock:

A diamond from a pet shop? :shock:

Before you get all high & mighty Harvez, take note that the OP is in Vic, where regulations differ from yours in Qld.

Jeez I hate it when these ill-informed online watchdogs think they're onto something devious...:(

Jamie

My Diamond gets to eat that way...only because she'll strike at anything and everything otherwise. Her rats just get dropped in her general direction and cage quickly closed!
I always come back an hour or so later to find them eaten - some snakes are just nooooot fussy about where the food is (or if it's moving).

Some snakes are just shy. As others have said, if he's eating, all good. If you have heaps of snakes, it's probably better if they eat like that cos wagging mice in front of a lot of snakes could be time consuming lol.
My albino male doesn't strike or eat off the ground. My missus has to put the rats nose on his mouth and he just opens his mouth and starts eating it while she's holding it. Some snakes are shy and some are just straight up lazy lol.

my stimmie does that too lazy thing she is

Cathy

My diamond has always been a lazy eater, it's fine with me just chucking in the food, but sometimes it wont eat it.

Sometimes i have to make the rat move, sometimes i have to practically put it in the pythons mouth. Its not a bad feeder, its just not intense like my Jungle!!

I got both my snakes from pet shops. One, a Stimson, only took them if I left them, and my MD will not take food unless I wiggle it in front of her & she strikes.

Before you get all high & mighty Harvez, take note that the OP is in Vic, where regulations differ from yours in Qld.

Jeez I hate it when these ill-informed online watchdogs think they're onto something devious...:(

Jamie

Just in Harvez's defence, it is a shock for us in Qld, up here our petshops are only legally allowed to sell ants :rolleyes: So I think his comment was prolly shock from 'how cool is that' rather than disbelieving the op ;)

My coastal does that, only had it for 2 feeds so far. One was a very poor effort at a strike & the second feed i left in there and sat here for about half an hour, left to get a drink and she was into it. I may be wrong but i put it down to them realising they are somewhat vunrable once they start to eat so they want to make sure any threats are eliminated because they know the food isnt going anywhere.

I have 5 snakes and they all eat in a different manner. My diamond will only eat when it suits her (whether it takes 5 mintues or 5 hours), one of my spotted's will only eat if i put her in a smaller darker enclosure, another spotted will take food before I can even put it down, my albino darwin only eats after I put it in and then as I go to move it in her enclosure after a few mintues she strikes and the last one I am looking after has to be assist fed before he will even consider eating on his own (even then he refuses to strike at it, I have to wave it in front of his face before he does anything).

I personally think that snakes are like humans and have there own personalities, characteristics and traits. However, they will only do what they want when they want to do it.

I have 5 snakes and they all eat in a different manner. My diamond will only eat when it suits her (whether it takes 5 mintues or 5 hours), one of my spotted's will only eat if i put her in a smaller darker enclosure, another spotted will take food before I can even put it down, my albino darwin only eats after I put it in and then as I go to move it in her enclosure after a few mintues she strikes and the last one I am looking after has to be assist fed before he will even consider eating on his own (even then he refuses to strike at it, I have to wave it in front of his face before he does anything).

I personally think that snakes are like humans and have there own personalities, characteristics and traits. However, they will only do what they want when they want to do it.

I agree with your last comment.... hang on.... just doing up flame proof suit.....

I think that snakes are very much.... hang on, putting fire proof boots and gloves on....

like...... wait a tick, helmit going on.......

Getting fire extinguisher ready.... pin out......

Women :shock::lol:

Flame on......:shock::lol:

I agree with your last comment.... hang on.... just doing up flame proof suit.....

I think that snakes are very much.... hang on, putting fire proof boots and gloves on....

like...... wait a tick, helmit going on.......

Getting fire extinguisher ready.... pin out......

Women :shock::lol:

Flame on......:shock::lol:

hahahaah damn straight keep us happy and we wont bite

Cathy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back