Snake has escaped. Don't know how cage was secured.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xXExplodexX

Reaction score
Snake has escaped. Don't know how cage was secured.What do i do now ?

Enclosure was down stairs, live in a 2 story house. It is 1 meter. Where are the best places to look ?

Last edited:
What species of snake is it? That will help with working out where it might have gone. I recommend you leave out a rat on a heat mat/pad as the snake might come back to eat the rat after smelling it.

what sort of snake is it mate.
Look at dark places and warm places ie behind fridge, under beds, curtain railings etc.
Also put out a few heatmats or rodents to lure him out.
some people put talcom powder on the floor so if the snake moves they will see slither marks in the talc

It shouldn't be too high as they are mainly a non climbing species but you never know. I would give a quick sweep under all the beds and behind cupboards and fridge etc. Then search the higher spots last.
Also if you can't find him then leave a few heatpads out with some hides and then come out at night with a torch to check to see if he is out and about :) best of luck bro.

no problem mate. Look everywhere even if you think its a dumb place to look. Also once I had my snake climb behind my backdrop that was sealed to the back of the enclosure. The only way he got back there was through a tiny hole where I fed a thermo prob cable through. So be sure to check the back of your enclosure also hehe

Of course it can go up stairs, even if it couldn't it could certainly go up the railing

You could also leave out some plastic bags. When you hear them rustle you will know where he is.

if you have any electric blankets , lay one out and put it on one of the lowest heat levels and put out his hides , worked for me ... but check under loose materials and go in there at night and have a look around , as they are a nocturnal species . He will turn up , don't worry too much.

Yeah all these are great ideas just make sure the plastic bags are laid out so there is no chance of the snake getting caught in handles etc if you're out.

Also if downstairs has aircon you could crank it up to encourage it to seek heat (if you are leaving out heat mats etc)

First, lock up the cat & dog. Put towels (or door snakes :lol:) under doors especially to the outside of the house, so if he is still inside the house, he cant get outside. Once you check a room thuroughly, put a towel under the door so he cant get into that room after you checked it and closed the door.

Look on and behind TV's even behind flat screens, as these are a good source of heat. If it were me I would be doing what the others have advised, then start by looking very carefully inside the enclosure (under fake grass or substrate) then look behind the enclosure, on it, in cabnet under enclosure then work your way out from the enclosure to book cases, tv cabinets, behind curtains... in or under furniture.... etc. I think you will find it is very near to the enclosure.... prolly hidden in plain sight.

My MDP got out of his enclosure and I found him in the bookshelf below his enclosure.... he didnt go far.

Do the rounds with a torch with lights out is good advice. Depending on snakes breed, whether nocternal or a climber or ground dweller are all to be a good guide as to where he might be hiding.

ok, thank you all of posting much appreciated. Will go and check soon. when it gets darker.

- - - Updated - - -

Can't find it :(

- - - Updated - - -

Will i ever find it ?

Don't give up hope! I remember someone once saying they lost a python, gave up hope of seeing it and bought another one, and found it months later!
It's going to get hungry at some point, and when it does just be ready with some dinner!

If it hasn't been that long just give it some time.
It's probably curled up somewhere having a good old nap.
Have a search at night time tonight that's when it's most likely to be up and about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back