Childreni not feeding!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

uberkyle

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey people,

I have a Children's Python which is about 11 months old now. He has been a really good feeder (except when he was a hatchy), but recently he has not been eating.
Every time I try to feed him (a fuzzy, in a different enclosure) he refuses to even look at it. It's like the mouse is a magnet and he is being repelled away from it.
I'm not sure what the problem is, but he hasn't ate in about 5 weeks now.
He is still active and doesn't mind being handled, he looks fine and doesn't look like he is shedding.

Looking for a bit of insight as some of you seasoned guys may know how to overcome this.
If you need more detail please let me know.
I'm worried about him and want to get him fed.

Please help!!

kyle

Dont stress..... it is the time of the year more than likely. My 2 macs were the same. The male (clyde) hasnt eaten since late june :shock: Bonny (the female) didnt eat from june until early september.... she chugs down rats like they are going out of fashion again now..... wave one near her now and she goes into smash-o-matic. Clyde looks at the rat like it is a radioactive dog poop dipped in pine needles :lol: and tries to escape.

Start to worry if he hasnt eaten in a couple more months, or his health seems to deteriorate ;)

I wouldn't worry too much i have a 4 year old female children's that only just ate tonight for the first time since i got her 7 months ago,she still looked healthy and all but just wouldn't eat then tonight she smashed down 2 hopper mice

Try braining a mouse, I have one that goes coy every now and then, but once you get that brain juice flowing there's no stopping him

Also check your temps. If they aren't getting enough heat they won't have much of an appetite. I went away and left it in the care of my younger brother who messed around with my thermostat making it too cold, which caused mine to go of her food for a few weeks. As soon as the temps increased, she ate again straight away ;)

Leave the snake in its own enclosure to feed for a start! Make sure its heat it right (32-34 hot spot/end)
99% of snakes should be eating well by this time of year if the the husbandry is correct and the snakes need are being provided for!

mate recently my childrens python has not been as instantly interested in the weanling mouse when I put it in his enclosure. What I have been doing is pricking the mouse head a few times with a toothpick then placing the mouse in the entrance to the snakes hide. After 5 mins I checked again and he was eating it.

They will eat when they are ready..... I always say "you can lead a snake to a rat.... but you cant make it eat" :lol:

Just horsing about ;)

Another way to see if they might get interested too, is to put a rat/mouse in the enclosure, drag it about (fake scent trail) then take it out again, making sure to get the snakes attention. Later, do it again, a bit later again..... This way, the snake thinks.... "next time I see a rat/mouse.... I better grab it while I can" ;) Sort of bring out the opportunistic nature of snakes

I am actually quite serious believe it or not :)

Thanks for all your replies guys.

I actually had to brain them when he first started feeding, didn't cross my mind. I will have to try this next time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back