The Gardeners Thread

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
slim6y its a dendrobium , could be one of hundreds will so the father inlaw next time hes over and see what he says !!

slim6y its a dendrobium , could be one of hundreds will so the father inlaw next time hes over and see what he says !!

Cheers for that :)

To be honest, I didn't even know it was an orchid... But now I do... I'm not changing my current care regime for it!!!

Here are some pictures for today.

This Jade is one of the first succulents i got years ago. I got it when it was a single stem with about 5 leaves on it. it has grow quite a bit sence.

IMG_0500.jpg

IMG_0499.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg

I love the purple under the leaves. In winter the undersides almost turn black.

IMG_0505.jpg

Here is a hybrid i did a couple years ago between E. black prince x E. black knight. Its starting to colour up niceley.

IMG_0502.jpg

E. Black Prince getting ready to bloom.

IMG_0506.jpg

IMG_0504.jpg

Heres my Neoregelia ampullacea San Diego WBC 94 that bloomed for me a little over a month ago. It allready has 3 offsets.

IMG_0501.jpg

grevilea Winpara gem
IMG_0884.jpg
sarracenia flava
IMG_0899.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone now how to strike cuttings from callistemons?
I have tried, they get buds then die...it is a beautiful purple one that you can't seem to find in the nirsery.

What method are you using Fay?

Have you tried air layering? Ground layering? That way you only remove from the plant when they're already growing.

Just got healthy bits and used some rooting (lol) powder. Put them in some potting mix and covered with plastic. Have never heard about air, ground layering....I am not a gardener at all...

Hey Fay... Well... rooting (chuckle...) powder is still used... The difference is you leave the plant intact.

Here's a helpful and highly informative video on YouTube:

[video=youtube;Uwq5CrMjDcw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwq5CrMjDcw[/video]

The other thing you'll need is patience... :)

Good luck Mrs Greenfingers....

I must remember my camera tomorrow when I go to work so I can take a photo of the beautiful street of colour. There are flowering trees everywhere at the moment, but one street in particular has heaps of them - bright yellow, pinks, purple/pinks, white. I don't know what they are. The trees are not overly tall and appear to have more flowers than leaves at the moment. ABsolute masses of bright flowers. I am thinking of magnolia but not 100% sure. Are they flowering at the moment? I found some pics on the web but haven't found any details, or if its them and flowering at the moment.

just set my first pineapple cutting in water, 3 years and ill have 1 pineapple.. here is to waiting :(

If it is purple in colour it more likely something like Melaleuca radula rather than a Callistemon. Irrespective, I have had extensive success with cutting of both native Callistemons and Melaleucas.
Melaleuca radula.jpg

Selection of cutting material is critical. You want new growth that is just beginning to harden. This often occurs after flowering. The new tips are basically white in colour to begin with. They turn a yellowish colour as they begin to harden and the leaves have usually unfolded and are reasonably flat. A dark yellow to grey is too late. You can feel the flexibility of suitable new growth by bending it between your thumb and forefinger. If it offers no resistance, it is too young. If it bends readily with minimal pressure that is what you want. If it has similar resistance to established growth, it is too old. You do need to ensure that cut section of your cutting has that flexibility describe above. You soon get a feel for it.

Place the prepared cutting mix of a mix of 50% perlite and 50% fine cocopeat that has been thoroughly soaked and allowed to drain, in a 140mm squat pot. A little slow release fertiliser can be added to the mix but I have never bothered and got good results. The cutting has enough reserves in it to establish roots and new growth. Cut the bottom off a 2 L PET (soft drink) bottle and place the top over your cutting in the 140m squat pot. Place in a shade house or similar and water daily from above with a sprinkler system or using a spray head on a watering can. New growth on your cutting is the best indicator of root development. This can be tested by gently tugging on the cutting to see if it offers any resistance.

Cutting lengths should usually be around 5 or 6 cm up to 10 cm. If the tip of a cutting has very soft new growth, then it is best to cut it off. Prepare your cutting by cutting 1mm below a node and stripping the leaves at the node by pulling downwards. Other leaves can be cut back using scissors if you feel there is excess foliage. I use a kebab skewer to make a hole for the cutting so that the striking hormone does not come off. Then I firm around it with the blunt end of a pencil. Bury cuttings 2 or 3 cm in the mix, depending.

Best results are obtained using medium striking hormone powder, also know as No.2 or Medium Wood. Clonex purple is also pretty good.

Good luck,
Blue

Three years isnt crap. Try eight years from seed.

IMG_0314.jpg

Out of 300 seeds this is the only one left.

how rewarding is it though, ive grow all my veg from seeds but i did the pineapple from a crown and in a pot as ill be buying my house next year and moving, but ill be doing a mango from the seed.

I fear all these tropical plants ( also goin to do a lady finger banana) will need a massive green house?? I know one bloke who has a 30 year old banana and its just started to fruit last year. Still not bad for Adelaide climate :)

If im not wrong ill only get one pineapple from my plant? or is it one every 3 to 4 years?

@cathy, it just needs some love. hang in there :D

Blue and slim..thanks so much for all your information. This tree is at Garth's mum's place . Does sound like a melalueca more than a callistemon. I also have a white native that I need to do something to as well. Will take some pics when I am up there again soon.

Three years isnt crap. Try eight years from seed.

IMG_0314.jpg

Out of 300 seeds this is the only one left.
that better be the best tasting juiciest darn pineapple in the world taking 8 long years to grow

imagine if you picked it to late or to early hahhahah devastation

Blue and slim..thanks so much for all your information. This tree is at Garth's mum's place . Does sound like a melalueca more than a callistemon. I also have a white native that I need to do something to as well. Will take some pics when I am up there again soon.
It may well be the case that it is a Callistemon. I have not kept tabs on the eastern states hybrids produced in the last four to five years. Prior to that there was no purple Callistemon. They varied from pink to vermillion but not quite purple.

The difference between the two genera is minimal. The stamens of Callistemon are all single. The stamens of Melaleuca are in 5 bundles. There are some species which do not quite obey the rule and as a result it has been suggested by some botanists that the two genera should be combined. Callistemon flowers are all the bottlebrush form where as Melaleucas vary from almost single flowers to globular to short cylindrical to typical bottlebrush form.

A close-up photo of the flower assist. However, it is not relevant in terms of propagation. Commercially produced forms are usually easier to propagate than natural species.

Blue

how rewarding is it though, ive grow all my veg from seeds but i did the pineapple from a crown and in a pot as ill be buying my house next year and moving, but ill be doing a mango from the seed.

I fear all these tropical plants ( also goin to do a lady finger banana) will need a massive green house?? I know one bloke who has a 30 year old banana and its just started to fruit last year. Still not bad for Adelaide climate :)

If im not wrong ill only get one pineapple from my plant? or is it one every 3 to 4 years?

@cathy, it just needs some love. hang in there :D

Honestley it is really rewarding. I was 13 at the time. I dident think I was going to be able to do it. That plant was going into flower the all of a sudden it stopped. Maby next year. What type of climeit do you live in? Im thinking a green house would be a good idea. I have to bring my tropicals in during the winter. Also sometimes during the summer when it gets to hot.

- - - Updated - - -

that better be the best tasting juiciest darn pineapple in the world taking 8 long years to grow

imagine if you picked it to late or to early hahhahah devastation

This isnt a pineapple. Its a Tillandsia ionantha-Guatemalan Form. The pineapple plant comes from the genus Ananas. They still are all broms.

- - - Updated - - -

Brett I refuse to post any more pictures until you post some more pictures.:) Bro you have a INCREDIBLE!!!! garden and some amazeingly grown plants. I for one And im shure all of us would like to see individual photos of some plants in your garden. Bro dont make me beg.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back