Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect the "personality" of any monitor species is down to keeper husbandry past and present rather than being species specific.

Some great advice here, I'd get a smaller species also if it were my first monitor species. I kept Gillens (which I highly recommend) and Ackies (also good, but found they can "bulldog" conspecifics at times). After a couple of years, I "graduated" to Spencers as a larger species which were perfect for me.

I suspect the "personality" of any monitor species is down to keeper husbandry past and present rather than being species specific.]

I totally agree I_V the bloke I got the Sandies off all his other monitors Lacies and Spencers were pretty agro attacking the glass [biting or tail whipping] when ever you walked into the room all from how he handled them.
He just lunges out at them and grabs them around their necks with gloves on even if they are asleep, he use's the same technique to handle his pythons which are all very flighty for some reason as well !!!!! That's why my Sandies are how they are and hopefully they settle down in the future.
All the monitors that I've had since hatchies have all turned out great either from luck or the respect I give them !
Cheers Deano

ScalyMung, Just wondering how well the Rosenburg's do as pit animals on the mainland as KI doesn't quite get the same temperature extremes as we do here in Adelaide and also are they on an advanced licence here in sa??

My wife is really in love with Monitors but I am after something that is well suited to a pit in SA as I don't want to have adults restricted to even the biggest indoor enclosure I can build for her.
Any advice you can offer would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys this has helped me alot. Building the cage tonight and hopefully going to get a panoptes this weekend. But I think how the monitor is raised will differ its behaviour when it's older.

Thanks guys this has helped me alot. Building the cage tonight and hopefully going to get a panoptes this weekend. But I think how the monitor is raised will differ its behaviour when it's older.

As it's your first monitor, why not wait for a smaller species to become available? Sounds like Chri5 might have a few tristis in the near future. You'll likely have a better experience and want to go on keeping other species in the future (with ALL your digits intact).

- - - Updated - - -

Panoptes get BIG and if you don't treat them right my guess is your in for trouble.

Attachments

• 27-03-2011 9;18;28 PM [1600x1200].jpg
    27-03-2011 9;18;28 PM [1600x1200].jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 158
Can get ackies but not getting a small monitor. Spoke to all reptile places in SA and all said that a panoptes is a good first monitor.

Can get ackies but not getting a small monitor. Spoke to all reptile places in SA and all said that a panoptes is a good first monitor.

Ackies sound like a good start:)! Many keepers of larger monitors on here started with these as a learner.

Dylan, a Panoptes probably isn't your best choice as a first monitor. As I said in my private message, come & have a look at mine when you get a sec, that'll give you an idea what they'll be like in 12 - 18 months time. A lot to handle when it's your first animal. With all due respect to reptile shops, these businesses will tell you anything, they have a vested interest in you buying off them.

Richard, that photo with your nephew is awesome, seen it before somewhere but still love it. Typifies Australia perfectly.

Some Kimberley animals have a ton of yellow, just a shame it was "dinner":(.

That's a great suggestion, Dylan. Apologies if I sound patronising as that was not what was intended. You could check out some tristis while your there (and Gouldii)!

But 2 of the shops didn't have them or intend on having them so why would they say that?

But 2 of the shops didn't have them or intend on having them so why would they say that?

Because they lack accurate knowledge and experience on the subject. Do yourself a big favour, listen to crocdoc & CHRI5.

How do they run there business if they don't have accurate knowledge?

They said they have had them before just not now. Every monitor is going to be differently behaved no matter what breed I get? and is going to react differently to how it gets raised. As imported_varanus said he had a Heath as his first monitor and it was fine and everyone else said they are not recommended as first monitor. Not saying that crocdoc and Chris are wrong just including all factors.

Dylan I had mentioned to both reptile shops (that you're talking about) the possibility of me breeding my Panoptes, one of the shops in particular was keen as hell on buying all of the juveniles (this is all before my discovery of them both being male). My guess is they were just forward planning.

Maybe but they knew I wasn't getting it from there shop I said I was getting the monitor from a 'friend' haha. Ohk I'll say what the shops said. Scales and tails said that I should get a Spencer's or panoptes and that they wouldn't sell a sandy for first monitor as they are 'skiddish' as they worded it and also not to get a lace as they just want to kill everything... in a way. Reptile city said that Spencer's would be a good choice (also said they will hopefully have eggs early january) maybe saying that for a sale? Who knows. And reptile gully said that a Heath or mertens because they have them there, but also said a panoptes are good first monitors aswell. So yes they did try to sell me what they have at the moment, but did not disagree that a panoptes would be a good choice.

If you don't want heed the advice why ask the question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back