HELP! Gravid Children's or not!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EmilySS

Reaction score
Hi All,

We're up here in Darwin and have a possibly gravid childrens.
Problem One: She was obese when we got her and was told that we should try to breed her to help her lose weight. So we tried, we put the male in for 2 weeks in July and saw them mate. However, our childrens hasn't shown any massive amounts of gravid behaviour. A little bit of laying on her side but no typical basking. Started digging in and around her water bowl 2 days ago and curled up in a really awkward position. Her scales appear more stretched than normal. She shed what would be her prelay shed on september 14th, We provided her with a nesting box and she has dug down to the glass of her cage and is laying in it in a rather defensive position. She hasn't dug before like this. We are just so confused because she ate a small rat 3 weeks ago and has done a small poo since!

We tried in April but think we missed the breeding season slightly too early. Obviously temps up here are really warm all year around and heating isn't required. We are averaging 32 degrees in the day.

Any ideas?
Cheers

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 267257Her Tail in Jul just after mating. I/'' post a photo of her today i a tick!

- - - Updated - - -

This is a pic of her today. Keep in mind she was already obese when we got her!
View attachment 267258

View attachment 267260

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know why its not working. Am I doing it right by posting attachment?

- - - Updated - - -

576246_4620364789577_1233715589_n.jpg

Looks very similar to a gravid childrens ive seen before but cant confirm if yours really is

Looks stretched in all the right places to me....I would be treating her as if she was gravid and checking on her often ;)

Goodluck

Two weeks is a very short period for a successful mating. The act of mating gets the cycle going and encourages the female to ovulate. Either of two things need to happen from here. One, the female retains the sperm and manages to fertilise the eggs or multiple copulation occurs and at some point fertilisation occurs. I would say you will get a clutch of eggs, but unless the sperm was retained you may get an infertile clutch.
I would be interested to see the results.

Two weeks is a very short period for a successful mating. The act of mating gets the cycle going and encourages the female to ovulate. Either of two things need to happen from here. One, the female retains the sperm and manages to fertilise the eggs or multiple copulation occurs and at some point fertilisation occurs. I would say you will get a clutch of eggs, but unless the sperm was retained you may get an infertile clutch.
I would be interested to see the results.

I've had snakes lay eggs from one mating and I don't think it would be uncommon for two weeks of mating to result in a healthy cultch.

SHE IS LAYING EGGS AS WE SPEAK!!!! We feel terrible for picking her up yesterday but the eggs look very healthy at the moment and lovely and white. We are very proud! Seven so far!

- - - Updated - - -

SHE IS LAYING EGGS AS WE SPEAK!!!! We feel terrible for picking her up yesterday but the eggs look very healthy at the moment and lovely and white. We are very proud! Seven so far!

Congratulations. Wish you all the best. By the look of her it will be a huge clutch.

- - - Updated - - -

wow congrats put up some photos ;-)

Cathy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back