Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doaks

Reaction score
hey guys, i just got my reptile licence and im thinking about a good beginners snake to buy, ive been researching for about 1-2 weeks and i was thinking of buying a hatchling corn snake or something.
for the enclosure i was thinking of a simple glass tank for it to be held in before the snake grows, how much do you guys reckon for a heat mat, water bowl and hide cost or any more accessories that i may need? and a rough estimate of a hatchie corn snake? Thanks. :) - sorry for all the questions, im neww c:

Corns are probably around $50.00 each , they are illegal to keep in AUS , but I get the feeling you already know that ;)

yeah, east coast, central.

- - - Updated - - -

oh, i actually didn't know they're illegal!
Would you know any other great starter snakes to get? Im not keen on spending a whole lot of money on a hobby that i dont even know if i will like. thanks

I think you might need to do a little more researching, because you can't buy any type of corn snake on licence here. i.e. Only native species can be kept legally in captivity.

Using a click-clack & heat mat, you should be looking at no more than $50. Thermostat could be had from $25-$250. An antaresia hatchy (*rough*) estimate would be from $80-$300

Last edited:
if your looking for a starter python in aus i reccomend a children's or a spotted or if your looking for a bigger one get a darwin carpet which i have as my first python and all the equipment costed me 170 all together because its still a yearling

- - - Updated - - -

Would you know any other great starter snakes to get? Im not keen on spending a whole lot of money on a hobby that i dont even know if i will like. thanks

Last edited:
woah! thats alot cheaper than i thought, thankyou so much :)
greatly appreciated.

^^^
And Im not sure the reptile route is a great one for someone trying to do it on the cheap. If you're not sure you're going to love the animal, why waste your time and money?

Reptiles are not a cheap hobby for ****s and giggles, it is for people who genuinely love them.

Gotta agree with Sarah on that. You have to be dedicated. If you're gonna get one look after it well and spend the money. Otherwise leave reptile keeping to other people. Sorry that wasn't meant to sound mean, it kinda did sound it though. Just facts sorry. If you are willing to spend the money you and the snake will be rewarded with long happy snake's life and a healthy snake. coz if you don't spend the required amount of money and it gets sick you're gonna be paying a lot more on vet bills.
Back to snakes, I'd recommend Any of the antaresia family. eg Stimsons, spotted and childrens. Childrens aren't my fav though (personal choice) otherwise there are Woma's depending on where you live might need an advance licence. (Vic only i think, correct me if I'm wrong. I live in Vic that's all) Woma's are a gorgeous medium sized python. around 1.5m generally. Some locales smaller. SA woma's reach 2m though. :) Do heaps of research tho. it will pay off and I find it soooo entertaining. been doing it for about 2 1/2 years maybe 3 still loving it. (and still snakeless. until next year :twisted:
Now I sound like some noob giving info when I don't even have a snake! i've got the knowledge. :lol: just not the snake :? (Snake research a priority, then homework tehe)
I'll stop babbling now. :lol:

maybe try to find a local herp society or local breeders that you could visit and get info on the possible snakes you would like

you grow to love them when I got my first I was 10 and had the attention span of a teaspoon but now at 15 years of age I am still loving them so if you can guarantee that you won't let your snake down my neglecting it then go for it . my first snake was a juvi childrens and I would recommend them or a stimmy I can't really recommend spotted as I have never kept them but people seem to recommend them as a beginers snake also

- - - Updated - - -

well if you don't know that you'll like it then i'd stick with a rubber snake. because what will happen if you don't like it? poor snake.

maybe you should think very hard before you get into a hobby you know nothing about, find someone who does have pet snakes, go hold some and see how you go.

everyone i know who is in the reptile hobby loves it and has gone into it knowing they wanted this hobby. and they know it costs alot of money, at first its cheap with a hatchie but as it gets bigger you will need a bigger enclosure, they eat more ect

I dont usually like to be caught up in these sought of things however I agree with others, I dont want to be rude and you might be a young kid that just wants a snake but there is alot more to owning one then just letting it sit there especially if it bites you.
I am sure you already know this and you might have done your research, just forgot to put Australian pages only or something.
Anyway a Spotted Python, a Stimson or a Childrens would be a okay first snake. If you want something bigger, which I would advice you not to do if you dont want to get into the hobby, but in case you think you would prefer a bigger snake, then I would recommend a Woma or a Bredli (Centralian Carpet Python). All of the species I have listed would be great for a beginner but keep in mind that any snake has the potential to be "aggressive" (not that they are as they are their own personality plus still a wild animal.)

Hope this has helped, also dont forget that you may have to handle things like dead rats, dead quails, dead chicks etc etc.

I found my Diamond to be a great first snake - you need to pay some pretty good attention to temps and husbandry but as far as temperament goes I ended up with the most laid-back snake in the world who has never refused a feed (and if I could only get her to STOP pooping)

However, I may suggest that you spend some time around someone others pythons first - you cannot buy a python and get rid of it (legally) a week after. I believe the time have to keep it for is a minimum of 6 months.

As with any pets, once you purchase it becomes your responsibility. I wouldn't suggest buying one until you are really sure that this is the path you would want to go down. Some species live up to 30 years - are you ready for this kind of commitment?

As with any pets, once you purchase it becomes your responsibility. I wouldn't suggest buying one until you are really sure that this is the path you would want to go down. Some species live up to 30 years - are you ready for this kind of commitment?

Well said, I knew I left something out :lol:
Also I love the names of your Snakes (In your siggy), I used to love Pokemon.

hhhmmm well if it helps you decide....if it is close enough we have a holiday place up near Taree that we regularly visit. We tend to take a couple of our mates up with us as it seems weird not to have them around! Am sure we can bring up a young woma, spotted and stimmie for you to have a look at/hold etc.

PM me if your interested, our reptile zoo is used to the local kids coming for a pat etc when we are there lol.

I have literally spent thousands of dollars and only own 2 pythons and 1 elapid. You need to take into account the price of the snake, its enclosures, heat and temperature control, to vet bills, food and other misc items.

If you concerned over a few dollars its probably best to stay away.

Well said, I knew I left something out :lol:
Also I love the names of your Snakes (In your siggy), I used to love Pokemon.

I figured that one might be pretty important! :lol: Wouldn't want someone to purchase a snake then find that one out! Eek!
I love Pokemon still :) I never grew up, apparently. My eventual herp collection plans all revolve around Pokemon types and what I could name them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back