Varanus varius (Lace Monitor) Information for Europeans

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Varius7

Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Nathalie and I am from Germany.
I have registered in this forum to get information from you about Lacies.

* My English is not so good. I hope you understand me;) *

I've read a lot of books on Varanus varius.
But as these animals are very rare outside of Australia
there are few info!

I got from a friend 5 Varanus varius.
These animals are now 7 weeks old.

Now my question:

1. At what age should you separate the animals?

2. My animals are shy and have a lot of anxiety when I get into the room. Is this normal? They also eat only when I'm not in the room.
When I'm in the room, you do not move or run away.

3. How do I get the animals calm you eat of the tweezers?

4. My animals eat only mice and rats divided and rare insects.
What will you give your animals to eat?

5. Like you are the temperatures on the day and at night?
How do you do it with the hibernation?

I hope You gave me lots of information. I know there are many questions.
But we are trying to breed the animals. Since there are very very rare animals.
(For us;))

greeting

Nathalie

1,u dont nessacarilly have to seperate them,though 5 at once at feeding time when they are bigger could be fun,id try and guess sex when they grow a bit and maybe make 2 groups,then segregate from that going off there behaviours

2,very normal in juvies,dont hassle them,in time they become accustomed to you and greet you at the door,thats when u miss it when they hide,lol,especially at feed time

like most juvie animals,there instinct is to flee and hide from possable threats,they learn your no threat and actually havefood for them pretty quick,so patience young jedi is your best bet

3,as above,patience,when they start showing them selves and eating in your presence you can try the tong feeding,when they get bigger watch your fingers,especially if tongs arent big

4,rats and mice are a good staple,if u have access to baby chickens,they can be good to mix it up,even chicken necks,common insects is probably easier than rare ones,lol,more so for treats as it would take squillions of insects to fill them,growing lacies are bottomless pits

5,i shut mine down over nite,no heat,gets prettycool over nite where i am,there a cool climate adapted animal,so cool nights are handled easily,a wintercooling is good preconditioning for breeding,maybe not nessacary,but in the long term the better for longevity than pushing them with to much heat 24/7 like is common with other species

over seas nesting issues seem to be the undoing of many a female lacie,so pretty important to get that correct to if breeding in the long term is your goal,id be aiming to simulate a termite mound,nesting boxwith substrate inside and heat it to around 30 degrees if it doesnt hold heat well

good luck,they are fun to keep

What Richard has said is spot on. Patience is the key, don't rush things. Oh, & your English is better than some of the Aussies here :)

Hello,

thank you for your answers.

I have read in books that you always have to separate you .. ;)
I'm going to visit as long as it goes well.

The sexes can be so difficult to detect in Varanus.

- - - Updated - - -

Bock.jpgBock+weib.jpgBock2 (1).jpgBock2 (1).jpgbock3.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Actually looks like the perfect cage for Lacies?

For me it is just like in the pictures.

I have a base temperature of 31 ° C.
And a spot of 50 ° C-60C °
And a humidity of 60-70%

I would get rid of that gravel and replace it with leaf litter or something of similar texture and moisture holding characteristics, such as mulch or even wood shavings.

I would also put in a number of hide logs and a large water container.

Hello,

thank you for your answers.

I have read in books that you always have to separate you .. ;)
I'm going to visit as long as it goes well.

The sexes can be so difficult to detect in Varanus.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 267269View attachment 267270View attachment 267271View attachment 267271View attachment 267272

- - - Updated - - -

For me it is just like in the pictures.

I have a base temperature of 31 ° C.
And a spot of 50 ° C-60C °
And a humidity of 60-70%

gday mate, pics look good.... I would recommend that you smooth off the little branch burrs as I had an unfortunate mishap with one of my guys dragging his nice soft belly skin over one and tearing his belly open... My incident was probably a freak occurrence but every time I see them, my skin crawls as this is often something people overlook.... Good luck with your Lace monitors mate, by far the most interesting species available IMO....

David, do you find that Lacies like sitting in the water at all? I have only an average size water bowl for mine, not big enough for her to sit in at all, however I have a large pond for my Panoptes which sit in the water often. Just wondering if a large tub of water would be beneficial for my Lacie?

1,u dont nessacarilly have to seperate them,though 5 at once at feeding time when they are bigger could be fun,id try and guess sex when they grow a bit and maybe make 2 groups,then segregate from that going off there behaviours

2,very normal in juvies,dont hassle them,in time they become accustomed to you and greet you at the door,thats when u miss it when they hide,lol,especially at feed time

like most juvie animals,there instinct is to flee and hide from possable threats,they learn your no threat and actually havefood for them pretty quick,so patience young jedi is your best bet

3,as above,patience,when they start showing them selves and eating in your presence you can try the tong feeding,when they get bigger watch your fingers,especially if tongs arent big

4,rats and mice are a good staple,if u have access to baby chickens,they can be good to mix it up,even chicken necks,common insects is probably easier than rare ones,lol,more so for treats as it would take squillions of insects to fill them,growing lacies are bottomless pits

5,i shut mine down over nite,no heat,gets prettycool over nite where i am,there a cool climate adapted animal,so cool nights are handled easily,a wintercooling is good preconditioning for breeding,maybe not nessacary,but in the long term the better for longevity than pushing them with to much heat 24/7 like is common with other species

over seas nesting issues seem to be the undoing of many a female lacie,so pretty important to get that correct to if breeding in the long term is your goal,id be aiming to simulate a termite mound,nesting boxwith substrate inside and heat it to around 30 degrees if it doesnt hold heat well

good luck,they are fun to keep

+1 Great advice ^^

- - - Updated - - -

I would get rid of that gravel and replace it with leaf litter or something of similar texture and moisture holding characteristics, such as mulch or even wood shavings.

+1

Hello,

a large water tank is inside. And this is no gravel but
wood chips

Wood chips, gravel, still too chunky.

- - - Updated - - -

Chris, my monitors don't commonly soak in the water, but will definitely use it as a retreat on a hot day. My female will bathe after nesting, presumably to get rid of the substrate covering her from head to tail tip, though, and the male will occasionally go in and soak, presumably when he's feeling a bit dry.

Chris, my monitors don't commonly soak in the water, but will definitely use it as a retreat on a hot day. My female will bathe after nesting, presumably to get rid of the substrate covering her from head to tail tip, though, and the male will occasionally go in and soak, presumably when he's feeling a bit dry.

Thanks David, I'll give her a large tub, particularly with a hot Adelaide summer approaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back