Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The question was about Heath monitors ? Was getting information about others aswell before I make a decision not say that I'm not taking The advice just putting forward what other people/ shops have said.

Okay, here's the thing. For starters, the different types of monitors are species, not breeds. They've all evolved for different habitats and niches. They all have species-specific characteristics and some of those characteristics are behaviour related.

Yes, there are always exceptions, but in general most individuals of a certain species of monitor will behave in a manner typical for that species. There's always a danger when buying a particular species in the hopes that the individual you purchase may be one of the exceptions, when 90% of the individuals of that species are known to behave in a certain manner.

There is nothing wrong with Varanus panoptes. I think they are fantastic monitors. They are robust, active and have a feeding response from hell. As a first monitor, though, especially as I'm sensing from some of your posts that temperament and interaction may be of some importance to you, maybe not so much (as Borat would say).

Spencer's monitors have come up in this discussion a number of times. I can't recall (and I don't feel like trolling through five pages again), is there a reason you're not going with those?

Scales and tails said that I should get a Spencer's or panoptes and that they wouldn't sell a sandy for first monitor as they are 'skiddish'

Dylan, Gavin is a regular seller of Panoptes (he has them sent down as juveniles from Peter Krauss in QLD), of course he will recommend them, it's his business. My Sand monitor is skittish (he's still young), however the few times he's been handled in the 3 months I've had him he has never shown any inclination to bite me (unlike the Ackie I bought early this week... ouch!!).

Reptile city said that Spencer's would be a good choice (also said they will hopefully have eggs early january) maybe saying that for a sale?

I know Jason & Michael very well (as does Deano who has posted in this thread), they are hoping to breed their Spencers when it warms up down here, however, as they've never bred them before they're not 100% certain that they're even male & female (although it looks that way). So while they are recommending them because they may have some to sell, they have told others NOT to buy a Lacie or Panoptes as a first monitor. They do offer good advice.

reptile gully said that a Heath or mertens because they have them there, but also said a panoptes are good first monitors aswell. So yes they did try to sell me what they have at the moment, but did not disagree that a panoptes would be a good choice.

This is who I spoke to about my Panoptes juveniles, IMO a Mertens isn't a good choice due to the additional husbandry requirements when compared to a Spencers/Sand etc.

Remember, you'll hopefully have him for many years, I'd be more inclined to listen to the advice from people (in this thread for example) that aren't trying to sell you what they need to move to make room for other incoming stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
ARGUS MONITOR vs. RAT - YouTube

this kind of feeding response?

i have asked for scales to hold one of there panoptes until i can have a look at one on sunday. i have been extremely excited since i knew they were bringing them in (as i have always liked panoptes) but is it just because they have a aggressive feeding response that you guys dont recommend for a first monitor or are there other reasons? i have been trying to make a decision on what to get for so long it is messing with my mind... i keep doubting if im going to make the right decision or not

went and saw those spencers at reptile city on the weekend and did like them :) yeh he said that he wants them to breed but wont be hatchlings for 4 months :(

went and saw those spencers at reptile city on the weekend and did like them :) yeh he said that he wants them to breed but wont be hatchlings for 4 months :(

If they aren't even sure they have a pair and they haven't mated yet, it'll be a lot longer than four months before they get hatchlings!

That's an incredibly crap monitor setup in that panoptes video, by the way.

You realise that you don't have to buy a monitor from a pet store and they're available online from breeders all around Australia?

Yeh have been looking alot can only seem to find one place that has Gould's and are $500+$120 freight. And found some Spencer's aswell but no one will post. Could you link some to me crocdoc?

You're talking about a reptile that you're going to have for many years, if looked after properly. Just because there aren't any available right here, right now, isn't reason to go for another species. As for the gouldii that are available, if it comes down to a difference of plus or minus a couple of hundred dollars, try to imagine how unimportant that $200 will be to you five, ten or twenty years down the track when you've still got the same monitor and have spent thousands of dollars on enclosures, electricity and food (not to mention time). When keeping monitors, the animal itself is always the cheapest part of the investment. If you really want a gouldii, what's $620?

Deano has got a sandie and he is in SA going to look on sunday :) !!! Excited!

Yes crocdoc I certainly agree was just finding the money upfront that was the problem (convincing the missus haha) but have it sorted now thanks to deano.

Hi everybody all this talk about Heath goannas I bought 1 3 days ago and I asked a few reptile owners things about them they said there is not much info on them but they are like sand goannas in A lot of ways I was thinking between Heath and ridge tail but I wanted a bigger lizard not something like a bearded dragon so I got A Heath but I was reading all this discussion comments saying they are not good and I was wondering if anyone can explain in more detail why they are not good yes this is my first lizard but no I am not a rookie in animals I own 2 snakes and they have both been alive about 5 years now so can someone please tell me how to train this Heath if I can

There are several excellent threads on here about monitor care and training especially one about calming and training a monitor. Other than that the best the thing you can do is buy Danny Green 's book "A Guide to Australian Monitors in Captivity ".
And yes care wise they are basically the same as a sand monitor.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back