what do ya keep ya diamonds at???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGBANG

Reaction score
i have a yearling diamond and have been doing some reading about temps people keep them at, now i dont have a cool end or hot end of the enclosure, i have a hot top warm middle and cool bottom,upper temps can get to 35 during the day, middle temp around 30-32, top i have no idea but there is nothing for her to climb on, ground level is 20-23, she spends most of her time sitting in the middle or just below and ocasionally ventures to ground level, am i doing something wrong or is this ok??? as far as i was aware they will find their own happy place as long as they have the temp gradient to do so? i stumbled onto diamond syndrome and read a few articles on that and all pointed to high temps as the cause, had never heard of it before. so main question is if i have a big difference in temps the snake can choose to be in will she be ok?

Hey mate,

im pretty new to it but I have a diamond. I have a gradient in my enclosure and it goes from 30 at the hot spot to 22 at the cold end. My guy hangs in the middle usually unless he has eaten when he stays right under the heat lamp.

I do know that Diamonda much prefer cooler temps. Lots of differing opinions on dps but every experienced keeper I have spoken to says temps should be sub 30 for diamonds at the hottest part of the enclosure as they come from a temperate climate. My advice for what it is worth is to drop the temp a bit. Say 28/29 at the hottest part of the enclosure. Even that can be considered high.

Hope this helps and defiantly get more opinions than mine.

cheers

cheers mate, yeah have read a few different opinions and yeah know they come from cooler climates, trouble i have with my enclosure is the temps are fairly varied depending on height, in the middle it could be 30-32 but drop the thermometer 2or3 centimeters and the temp can drop 4or5 degrees, i have 2 40watt blue party globes at on end of the enclosure then a 450mm 15 watt reptile fluro tube running across the back, the cage is only 600Wx650Hx450D she never sits down the end where the blue lights are, spends most of her time under the fluro tube, or sits on the thermostat which temps are about 25-27

this is her little enclosure, usually sits in the middle of the branch, or on the thermostat on the left hand side, and sometimes where she is now down the bottom left corner
PA100545.jpg

Last edited:
First thing I would do I cage those lights up. A burnt snake is not nice.

In mine I run the heat emitters not globes. I find they direct the heat in a narrower zone. This may help to get a gradient going.

also I can only see one vent on the bottom. Is there vents on the top? This will also help by drawing hot air through. I'll post some pics tomorrow showing what I mean.

my diamonds hot spot is 31 and their cold spot is around 23-24 mine are only hatchies so they are in click clacks with just a heatmat

Defiantly drop the temps 35 degrees is way to hot drop it to 28/29 degrees plus its coming into summer so you don't need as much heat i have no night time heat for my girl and only a couple of hours basking in the morning and a couple in the afternoon.
You don't want to over heat your Diamond as you said above very high risk of DPS

Caleb.

i agree with cougar2007 and i also keep mine at 30but my enclosure is very long and they have a lots of ventalation
this is my set up -not sure if u can see it but infront of the fishing box on the ground is the bottom part which has been covered in mouse mesh ans in the roof has holes drilled for mor vanalation and the lights are covered so my diamonds cant cook themselves 010.jpg

just give them heat for the morning around one hour 30c then leave them at ambient temp

hey all thanks for the replies, currently trying to get the temps under control, you wouldnt think that a fluro tube of 15 watts would put out to much heat but it does once the fluro is off the middle of the cage where she pearches is only around 23 degrees, might have to look at taking it out and putting in a normal light fitting, in summer it will be ok to only give a couple hours heat a day but at the moment where i live it can be pretty cold in my house when the fire is not going so room temp is only about 15 degrees, when the fire is going and someone is home it would be around 20-22 max. would i be better off pulling all lights out of this cage and running a heat mat or cord? and cougar2007 there are a few vent in the enclosure but can only see the one at the front, thinking i might have to put a couple in the roof to let it vent a bit more out the top.

15* ambient wont hurt a diamond. My hot spot is 33 and cool end is watever the temp is outside. In winter, overnight lows of 0 or below are normal in my area. Insulated hides will help. Keep in mind the areas where they are found. Summer temps above 30 for most of summer and winter temps of single digits. A few keepers keep them in aviaries year round in western Sydney,so they are exposed to extreme heat in summer/cold in winter

Another thought was to remove the fluro tube and remove one of the blue lights off the thermostat and turn it into a white spot light as a basking spot, this should give me a more concentrated hot spot and the thermostate can be turned right down to give it an ambient temp of around 23

Was going to say my basking site is heated by a halogen downlight so heat is concentrated to one area. I normally only see mine basking as soon as the light comes on for 30-60 mins. Then again late afternoon, unless they have just fed

i agree with cougar2007 and i also keep mine at 30but my enclosure is very long and they have a lots of ventalation
this is my set up -not sure if u can see it but infront of the fishing box on the ground is the bottom part which has been covered in mouse mesh ans in the roof has holes drilled for mor vanalation and the lights are covered so my diamonds cant cook themselves View attachment 267402

Thats a really cool viv, I really like it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back