reptile room starting to take form :D

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
nice snake room.
yeah my neighbours wonder why i have a red light in my snake room and blue light in my lounge room.

Sorry dont mean to hi-jack thread dreaper, but a few have asked about routed setup and tile so probably easier for the others that i explain the setup here.

I drew around tile with pencil to get the outline of the tile, sorted out best pattern and number of loops for h/cord in the area.
Drew the pettern on floor with evenly spaced loops to spread heat out evenly - routered pattern out deep enough so tile will not 'rock' with heat cord under.
Then routered a deeper channel for the t'stat probe to go under the cord and tile also.
I then threaded h/cord in and put blobs of silicon to hold down h/cord and tile aswell.
Put tile down and sealed all around the three edges with anti-fungal 'normal' silicon.
This took a while swapping snakes between old setup enclosures to newly set up enclosures as i did them 3 at a time for my whole snake room but it ended up worth it.

Cheers

Thanks Congo. Sounds a very effective tip. Will take note :) thanks again.
Sorry if this is a dumb question but what do you mean when you say you "routered pattern out deep enough so tile will not 'rock' with heat cord under.
Then routered a deeper channel for the t'stat probe to go under the cord and tile also."

Thanks

Hi Congo is there anything bad about having the thermo probe on the top of the tile. That is how I have mine set up and I would hate to have the wrong setup. Cheers mate!

Thanks Congo. Sounds a very effective tip. Will take note :) thanks again.
Sorry if this is a dumb question but what do you mean when you say you "routered pattern out deep enough so tile will not 'rock' with heat cord under.
Then routered a deeper channel for the t'stat probe to go under the cord and tile also."

Thanks

Hi bananapeel
I routered the 'channels' 1-2mm deeper than the cord so there is an air gap between the cord and the bottom of the tile - thus the tile wont 'rock' on the cord. The probe from the t'stat is a larger thickness than the heat cord so you route it out deeper than the other 'channels' coming in from the other side - see second pic with route coming in from the left hand side.

Cheers
Congo

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Congo is there anything bad about having the thermo probe on the top of the tile. That is how I have mine set up and I would hate to have the wrong setup. Cheers mate!

Hi Grogshla
IMO yes as the t'stat is then taking into account the air temp aswell and using more energy to heat the tile, instead of 'just' the tile temp from below.

Cheers
Congo
P.S hows the Wheaty going ??

Cool mate good point.
The wheaty is going amazing mate. I will have to upload some pictures. Very happy with it. :)

Morning Everyone ,
Just wanted to put a slight warning on the tile setup...i was advised to do the same thing, and it worked quite well. I had the cord looped like in the photo and on a thermostat. However one night i checked on everyone, and the tile temp was at 72degreesc! I dont know why the thermostat didnt work, but i think the tile just retained too much heat. And my poor darwin was so badly burned on his underside that even vet care could not save him, and he died within a few days.
I am so scared of heat cord now, so just a word of warning :(

Hey Dreaper, Great looking setup you have there mate!

Hey Congo, I usually place the probe ontop of the basking site which in this case would be ontop of the tile... Curious to know for future setups - what are the highest temp readings that you have managed to get on the basking site with having the probe under the tile?

Hey Dreaper, Great looking setup you have there mate!

Hey Congo, I usually place the probe ontop of the basking site which in this case would be ontop of the tile... Curious to know for future setups - what are the highest temp readings that you have managed to get on the basking site with having the probe under the tile?
Im doing same as Congo but just going to slide probe under and just fix it secure on outside back of enclosure so i can retract if necessary...then i will monitor outside tile temp for few days and c what temp differences i obtain compared to what me thermostate states...so thermostate may read 29 or 39 but me tile may be 33 but as long as i know its 33 it be all goooooooooood lol...this sealing tile thing is best thing since sliced bread...i even brought a cheap **** router from bunnings for 49 bucks...the only thing im not sure about is the make of me heat cord as im need feedback to ones that have good life span...any ideas?????????

Thanks ozimid, I like the sounds of that!

I am using the Zoomed brand. Temp distribution seems nice and even but only had it for a week so can't tell you how long it is going to last.

yeah some specifically for me some just canceled orders :D all goes to use

- - - Updated - - -

i think alot of the stories i have heard about the tiles over heating and snakes getting burned could possibly be people with to powerful a heat chord. i left mine on for about 36 hours with no thermostat just to see and probed the temps 4 or 5 times over that period and it never got higher then 38.

The highest I have seen my heat matts get up to are as follows... Keep in mind this is with the thermostat set to 34 degrees but sitting in between three enclosures and never getting above 26.

Also I measured the temps in their hides where heat wouldn't escape too easily. I use cocopeat as substrate. The rest of the enclosure floor temp is usually about 22-25.

7 Watt - 37-38
10 Watt - 39-40
20 Watt - 45-46

Just to give an idea.

But I guess on a tile the heat would be retained longer and higher as copared to in a 'hide' with cocopeat underneath.

Thanks tobe.That gives me a pretty good idea. sounds good.

- - - Updated - - -

So can I put the thermostat probe under the tile where the heat cord is and put a thermometer probe on the actual tile where the snake would bask? is this ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back