Given a blue tongue, don't know much about it!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rkrueger

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm an old member of AP, back after two years of herping inactivity! You can see my 'story' in the Introductions boards.

Anyway, let's get down to business. I was given a blue tongue by a friend's housemate after I expressed genuine interest. He gave me everything along with the BT, including the tank, food, substrate, hides, UV lamp, etc.
This is all I know about the background of the blue tongue:
- It originally belonged to this guy's sister, and apparently she really loved it
- Since being with the guy, it's only ever had a UV lamp (no heat)
- The end of its tail looks like its been severed at some stage and has healed up. (Pictures included)
- The substrate he was using in the tank for the blue tongue was typical garden mulch, and very dusty (I've since replaced it)

Yup, that's about all I know. I'm hoping some people here could shed some light on what I don't know... I've taken quite a few photos, they're not the BEST quality but I hope they'll help.
What I don't know about the blue tongue:
- What gender it is
- What species of blue tongue it is (though I think it's an eastern, I'm not 100% sure)
- How old it might be (I'm assuming maybe a year old, not too old, it doesn't have the typical black stripes at the eyes that adults have)
- What might of happened to its tail and if it's healing alright?

I understand it's not very easy to tell the gender of a young blue tongue, and looks can be deceiving, however I'm avoiding handling the BT for another day or so just so it can relax and get a little better acquainted with its new surroundings and atmosphere.

So here are the photos. I would really appreciate any help or opinions!

20121010_152936.jpg20121010_152103.jpg20121010_152017.jpg20121010_152201.jpg20121010_152219.jpg20121010_152300.jpg

Last edited:
pretty certain its an eastern

- - - Updated - - -

its pretty common for bluies to be missing parts of there tailes and toes but your bt's tail looks like it will heal fine about how big is it excluding tale?

Last edited:
yeah id say its about 1 yo or even less its still a bubba
but as far as gendar goes i honestly wouldnt ave a clue from the pics

Last edited:
i dont thhink there ae many people on here interested in bts but ill ask around for you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back