NSW How Hard Can It Be.....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Geeza

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Y cant NSW atleast let Reptile shops get a licence to sell live stock...kind of defeats the object of owning a shop that cant sell the reptiles that u r selling the goods for...r we any nearer this happening or is it just guna drag on forever...i recon reptile keeping would take a boom for a while if it was changed...what ya recon???????:?:?:?

Word on the street is, pet shops (in NSW) will be allowed to stock/sell reptiles by the end of this year.

But why has NSW always been restricted compared to Vic, ACT or QLD?

there are enough pet shops looking after cats/dogs/fish/birds etc badly do we need our reptilian friends to be treated badly also ( yes there are Good petshops Too) . Went into a birdshop early one saturday to buy some finches and found 8 dead birds in the first 3 cages :evil:

there are enough pet shops looking after cats/dogs/fish/birds etc badly do we need our reptilian friends to be treated badly also ( yes there are Good petshops Too) . Went into a birdshop early one saturday to buy some finches and found 8 dead birds in the first 3 cages :evil:
I did say "Reptile shops" not yur run of the mill pet shops and they should be checked before given a licence to sell

my 2 cents

I did say "Reptile shops" not yur run of the mill pet shops and they should be checked before given a licence to sell[
personally i would not buy from a pet shop (reptile shop ) unless the person that is doing the selling is the breeder , but that just may be me , a breeder as long as you get the right one , knows the reptiles they are breeding and has looked after them since they have hatched , they should be able to give you all the history of feeds sheds even poos if you want them and they should know how they are to be looked after and again if you have the right one are there for help after the sale . i dont believe a pet shop will give that kind of service

Theres a small shop in my area (central coast) that specializes in all things slimy ;)
This type of shop where the staff are heavily involved with reptiles personally should be allowed to have live stock. Deffinatly look into shops before giving them permission to sell but honestly i doubt a pet shop would take this on without being upto the task.

Hopefully we can get some good reptile shops opening if this is the case and that nsw will be allowed to sell reps.
Although I always prefer going to a breeder It would be good to see some reps in the petshops.
I just hope that they aren't treated badly and that they aren't purchased by boof head losers who think that having a reptile will make them look cooler or tougher when they actually know nothing about them or how to care for them.

Theres a small shop in my area (central coast) that specializes in all things slimy ;)
This type of shop where the staff are heavily involved with reptiles personally should be allowed to have live stock. Deffinatly look into shops before giving them permission to sell but honestly i doubt a pet shop would take this on without being upto the task.
This is one of the shops i am talking about and they r getting penalised IMO..but on the other hand i also agree with darring and i have also obtained all my snakes from breeders....that reminds me i got to Pm u over something lol

Word on the street is, pet shops (in NSW) will be allowed to stock/sell reptiles by the end of this year.
SAM said "pet shops "

and what i was bringing to your attention was that a bird shop cant even look after birds

but thats ok i buy my snakes from a pet shop --- carpark :D

Wasnt always restricted. You could once. then poachers and fools spoiled it

my step daughter in W.A. is the manger of a pet shop and they sell reptile products and they wanted to buy a bearded dragon and have it on display in the shop along with the paperwork for people to apply for reptile licenses and care sheets on all reptiles, the BD wouldnt be for sale but her own personal pet but the dept over there wouldnt even let them do that

i thought it was a bit pathetic

I have a thing about reptiles sold in shops, be it pet or reptile shops. You have the great ones but you also have the pathetic ones. I just hope they have VERY strict guidelines ie staff that are made to do proper authorised reptile keeping courses and actually tell customers correct information....some i wouldn't buy a cockroach from........same as some private sellers..

It would be terrible if reptiles were sold in shops, its bad enough now with impulse buying and the number of inept "keepers" around..

I did say "Reptile shops" not yur run of the mill pet shops and they should be checked before given a licence to sell

Can you imagine the mark-up on prices if these "reptile shops" solely relied on what they bred to sell?

Prices would only be a small problem compared to trying to rehouse all the unwanted reptiles, It is already near impossible to find homes for many carpet pythons handed in.

Funny...u can buy a snake in a pet shop in the UK but not a dog...in OZ (NSW) the opposite...i just wanted peoples opinions...there is no argument cause whats what is what and will be...we will just do whats best for r reptile friends and hope things all work out ...there r +'s and -'s which ever way u look at it
Thanks
Pete

I think it would be a good thing, and I think it would help the popularity of reptiles

It would be terrible if reptiles were sold in shops, its bad enough now with impulse buying and the number of inept "keepers" around..

Agreed, not to mention the total lack of qurantine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back