Unfortunate find

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gus11

Reaction score
I was recently doing some survey work on the Sunshine Coast in a national park, and came across this.

2012-09-30061838_zpsf522c9e2.jpg

I was quite surprised to find this decapitated snake ~800m down a very rarely used track in a national park. I had been at the spot at 6pm working and when i returned the next morning at 6 am found the snake. I don't know who carries a shovel into a National Park to do this but it was a bit upsetting to find. I could see where it had been killed and squirmed around before lying as it appears in the picture.

I understand people will kill snakes at their homes/work places etc. but in a national park??? ***!

Gus

Not necessarily a human to blame, were there tracks in the vicinity?

there would be teeth puncture marks and it wouldnt be so clean cut if it was an animal
how do you know that they are clean cut and their is no puncture marks , where you with the op and have seen the animal in person , not being rude just wondering how you know so much as i wouldnt rule it out from that one photo and from what has been said

only two things kill for the sake of killing --Humans and Foxes ,if there was no shovel involved it was a fox:evil: .
with shovel a human:evil:

Come on... a carpet... REALLY. Even if they were shyt scared... what were they expecting in a national park...

I have worked this all out tho:

1km into national park + rarely used track + shovel = DUMPING OF MURDER VICTIM

^^ I am probably 100% correct with this

Looks like a shovel to me, unfortunatly I have seen it before. No teeth marks on the body and a clean cut.Id be looking at people who may have been working in the park, especially if shovel work was involved.Lots of tree planting is done by an assortment of groups, some individuals in these groups may not share our views of humane snake control

Come on... a carpet... REALLY. Even if they were shyt scared... what were they expecting in a national park...

Ahaha, Australia, beautiful big and open large landscapes, MANY secluded spots. It is your dream holiday! But...It is perfect to hide a body.

and here i was thinking its a cannabis grower as it is coming into summer prime time , but now i see , their must be a shallow grave somewhere near by

So.... a win win situation either way?

If i am right, Gus may have found a body and will hopefully lead to the victims family getting a sense of closure?

If thomassss is right, free bud party at Gus' ?

yeah sad alright i went down to the river where i catch my mud crabs went to throw a few pots in and came across a 8 foot diamond python. looked like some one had got it with the shovel :(

Extremely disappointing that it happens in a national park, areas specifically set up to protect wildlife from humans. Given the timing and tool used it is likely someone working in the area,as has been suggested.

Thomasss when someone says they are “not being rude”, it is usually because they are. There was no need to add on the sarcasm once you had asked your question. To do so is at best as being patronizing and at worst ridiculing.

The deductions that person made, based on what the OP said and their own background knowledge, were fully justified….

The snake was decapitated. The OP blamed a shovel. He stated he could see where it was killed. He also stated he see where the dying snake had squirmed. He did not mention any other injuries. You cannot observe any other injuries in the photo. H e did not mention signs of a struggle or animal tracks, which would surely have been present if the snake were killed by another animal.

Foxes and wild dogs will bite and shake the mid body area of a snake first, in order to reduce its mobility and to inflict fatal wounds if possible. Once the snake has significantly slowed, they go for the neck. The wounds and struggle from such an attack would be quite apparent under the circumstances.

Had you not been rude, I would not be pointing out that with the sufficient forethought you would not have asked the question all.

Blue

Extremely disappointing that it happens in a national park, areas specifically set up to protect wildlife from humans. Given the timing and tool used it is likely someone working in the area,as has been suggested.

Thomasss when someone says they are “not being rude”, it is usually because they are. There was no need to add on the sarcasm once you had asked your question. To do so is at best as being patronizing and at worst ridiculing.

The deductions that person made, based on what the OP said and their own background knowledge, were fully justified….

The snake was decapitated. The OP blamed a shovel. He stated he could see where it was killed. He also stated he see where the dying snake had squirmed. He did not mention any other injuries. You cannot observe any other injuries in the photo. H e did not mention signs of a struggle or animal tracks, which would surely have been present if the snake were killed by another animal.

Foxes and wild dogs will bite and shake the mid body area of a snake first, in order to reduce its mobility and to inflict fatal wounds if possible. Once the snake has significantly slowed, they go for the neck. The wounds and struggle from such an attack would be quite apparent under the circumstances.

Had you not been rude, I would not be pointing out that with the sufficient forethought you would not have asked the question all.

Blue

thanks lol

Cathy

Blue
blue , i still can not see where i was being sarcastic , i genuinely asked if they where there to know what the wounds looked like in person as it was early in the thread and not much had been said , show me what was sarcastic about that post please point it out ,

a

Or someone growing dope and they spotted it and killed it. ***holes

blue , i still can not see where i was being sarcastic , i genuinely asked if they where there to know what the wounds looked like in person as it was early in the thread and not much had been said , show me what was sarcastic about that post please point it out ,
If I must….

Firstly, you question how the person knows these things. But of course she cannot know them as she was not there. A choice of words designed to cast aspersions on her statements. Statements that were clearly surmise, not knowledge, as were everyone else’s.

You then ask a question which you already know the answer to – was she there? We all knew the answer! It was not intended as a genuine question but as a rhetoric one. Its actual purpose was to emphasis the exact opposite – that she had not been there. Saying one thing, meaning the opposite, and utilising this to show contempt for something or someone = sarcasm.

The content of your post was dealt with but I took exception to its manner.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back