New to aussie pythons looking for scrub python asap

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deanandrewwalker

Reaction score
Hi there im new to this site as a member and iam looking for a scrub python asap can anybody help me on where to purchase and how much i will be looking at to buy one please aswell as some tips and risks of caring for them cheers dean

My tip is to slow down, dont get one asap. Wait until you know the tips and risk of caring for them and then decide if you can look after one. They grow big and live a long time so there'll be plenty of time to catch up after a bit of a wait.

As Wokka said ....They are not the type of snake you can get out to show your mates when you please .My girl as most on here know loves me one day and will try and kill me the next, infact she can change in the blink of an eye .They are an unreal snake to own but can never be treated or trusted like other snakes .They are a smart snake and like mine will sit , watching and waiting for you to let your guard down .There are quiet a few people that have "placid" Scrubs but i also know a few who have had them turn on them out of the blue .I would love a placid one but in saying that i also love their attitude and if and when i do get another it will again have the typical scrub attitude .Alot of people wont even have them because of the potential to cause injury. They get big and the eat and s--- like a horse so if you keep a few snakes then be prepared to up your food bill.LOL any day you can walk away from a scrubby with only a slight loss of blood is a good day .Ask many questions and read up before jumping in head first as quiet a few people have brought on a whim and regreted later .

Thanks for the info guys i got into herps around two years ago after seeing maximus the 6m scrub at currumbin wildlife sanctuary on the gold coast started smallish with a 2.5m coastal and his misus a 6ft jungle cross coastal on the idea of working my way up to a scrubby they were very placid so decided to challenge myself by getting another coastal 2.2m very aggressive and cage defensive that wouldnt eat it took me 6 months of changing climate environment and different foods before i could even touch him without coiling up in attack position and striking turned out to be a lovely snake and i trusted him enough to sell him to a newbie after a year have also had bredlis caramel coastal and a few blueys and beardies i dont have that much experience but definently didnt get pythons to show off to my mates i respect them and they respect me but as it has been said they are very smart and can turn but i love that attitude i have it myself lol and think im ready for one under 2m so i can adjust to this awesome creature just have to keep my dog away from the enclosure as shes a **** stirrer lol i have a very large bird aviary im in the process of repainting and replacing wire with 10mm shatterproof glass all round and heavy duty latches and padlocks with a cedar stain pdf base its 9ft tall 6ft deep and 7ft wide with two extra side cages for 3 entrances instead of one in case the scrubby decides to lie in wait for me to come through the door. whats everyones perspective on this?? also i have seen scrubs ranging from 350 -2000 whats a fair price for hatchlings yearling sub adults and adults?? thanks for reading :)

Scrubbies arnt usually highly priced but can be hard to obtain as they are not in great demand due to their attitude and size, they can be very nasty snakes and hard to deal with, and are easily capable of killing someone.. keep an eye out though, someone will be selling one sooner or later.

You know exactly what i mean they are still wild animals regardless of being captive bred or not "" i show them respect by keeping an eye on there behaviour and knowing when and what to do and in return i have never been bitten or even close to except for the aggressive python i got purposely to learn and grow by expanding my knowlegde of all aspects of python not just tame ones that most people keep.
- - - Updated - - -

Thanks jason il keep hunting for one i enjoy searching for them just makes that itch harder to scratch but more enjoyable once scratched i.e when i finally get one and sit back and watch in shear amazement and pleasure cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Dean,

Maybe Irbz didn't mean the comment in a nasty way. It's sometimes hard to tell when people are joking online.

Just friendly advice, you can take it or not, but I'd remove your reply to Irbz. Admin definitely doesn't appreciate people swearing at other members and can suspend or ban you for it. There are a lot of people here who can help you if you are serious about getting a scrubby - don't miss that chance.

Hey mate. As others have stated above. Scrubbies are a lot different to many other python species and cant really be compared to other larger species in my opinion. They are very very intelligent and cunning as Joemal stated. I had what i would have considered a 'fairly tame' scrubby by most peoples standards. I let my guard down 1 day and now have an awesome scar on my hand that required 14 stitches which wasnt a pleasant experience to put it mildly. That was just a quick 'piss off' bite. Would have hated to see the damage from a 'grab and coil' bite. I would suggest maybe finding someone in your local area who has extensive experience with this species and befriend them. Pick their brains about every aspect of scrubby husbandry and handling techniques. Dont just jump in head first as this may curb your enthusiam for this awesome species of snake. That said scrubbies are by a country mile my favorite pythons. Good luck bud.
Thanks for the info guys i got into herps around two years ago after seeing maximus the 6m scrub at currumbin wildlife sanctuary on the gold coast started smallish with a 2.5m coastal and his misus a 6ft jungle cross coastal on the idea of working my way up to a scrubby they were very placid so decided to challenge myself by getting another coastal 2.2m very aggressive and cage defensive that wouldnt eat it took me 6 months of changing climate environment and different foods before i could even touch him without coiling up in attack position and striking turned out to be a lovely snake and i trusted him enough to sell him to a newbie after a year have also had bredlis caramel coastal and a few blueys and beardies i dont have that much experience but definently didnt get pythons to show off to my mates i respect them and they respect me but as it has been said they are very smart and can turn but i love that attitude i have it myself lol and think im ready for one under 2m so i can adjust to this awesome creature just have to keep my dog away from the enclosure as shes a **** stirrer lol i have a very large bird aviary im in the process of repainting and replacing wire with 10mm shatterproof glass all round and heavy duty latches and padlocks with a cedar stain pdf base its 9ft tall 6ft deep and 7ft wide with two extra side cages for 3 entrances instead of one in case the scrubby decides to lie in wait for me to come through the door. whats everyones perspective on this?? also i have seen scrubs ranging from 350 -2000 whats a fair price for hatchlings yearling sub adults and adults?? thanks for reading :)

My age of 22 is obvious now lol im definently jumping the gun i think its going to take me months to do the enclosure anyway and i know of a guy that ran the reptile section of currumbun wildlife sanctuary for 20 years and runs free information sessions to all rep enthusiasts il definently be tracking him down asap and get absolutely every detail and caresheet i can... one more question if anyone can answer but i read from a google search that scrub pythons have one of the quickest reactions and longest strike of any snake in the world would that be close to the mark??

Hahaha Mate. Exactly how i was when i was your age. I just wanted everything NOW. But i have worked out over the years that it does pay to take your time and be very picky about the selecting of new additions to your collection. Although back then i didnt take anyones advice. Lol. Looking back i wish i had. So my advice would be dont just buy the first scrubby you find either, be selective. But i would definately suggest to talk to your mate from currumbin. His experience will be invaluable to you. And as for scrubby having a quick strike. I would say most definately. I didnt even see mine bite me (nor expect it, which my my bad). Just the monster flesh wound and blood. So much blood. Lol

I paid $650 freighted for my girl as a yearling but have .She is now 4yr old .I have seen them alot cheaper and also alot dearer so shop around as they are not high on the must have list with alot of keepers .When i got my girl i was told to think it over for a week or so before the breeder would even think of selling to me .I had done alot of research on them and even with the nasty stories i was still determined to get one .Hey i had a large Olive and an large Coastal plus numerous smaller snakes so how hard would it be owning a scrub and a little yearling at that .WRONG .From the day i opened the container in the carpark when i picked her up till now (About 3 years) she has been an experience like no other snake i own .I was given a reality check quick smart and had to change my ways when handling this beast and compared to some i have seen over the years i have gotton off pretty lightly with her .She started out just straight out attacking but as she has become older and bigger she has switched tactics to now sitting ,watching and waiting .I have made the mistake of turning my back on her while in cleaning her enclosure only to realise and turn to see her almost ontop of me .Oh forgot the strike range .They have a long one of them to as i have found out numerous times .Scariest was i had her out and she was like an angel .Put her back and decided to clean her cage while she was at the other end .I'm head down a-- up with the top half of my body in her cage .All i remember is something coming at me out the corner of my eye .She had launched from one end of an 8ft cage with her mouth wide open and pulled her strike just tongue flicking distance from the side of my face then went back to the other end of the cage as if to say "i could have had you if i wanted to " .This is from a snake that only minutes earlier was as placid as a pussy cat .One good thing with Scrubbies you learn real quick by your mistakes .So if your like me you will learn and so long as you always keep it in your mind to have plan B when handling them you can't go wrong .Good luck and if you do decide to get one you will be entering a relm where even alot of long time keepers fear to tread lol .

What the size of the enclosure your going to be putting the scrub in, I would love to see it. I want to get an Olive soon and need some inspiration on large enclosures.

quote]i have a very large bird aviary im in the process of repainting and replacing wire with 10mm shatterproof glass all round and heavy duty latches and padlocks with a cedar stain pdf base its 9ft tall 6ft deep and 7ft wide with two extra side cages for 3 entrances instead of one in case the scrubby decides to lie in wait for me to come through the door. unquote

Where will the aviary be placed???
After you add glass you may find the temperature will go through the roof if it ever gets direct sun
Even having the top virtually open may not help much

i actually saw a scrub python advertised on petpages by a guy in sydney. maybe have a look at that 1. hope that helps

There have been 1 or 2 scrubbies for sale on the facebook reptile pages lately. Try searching those if your on facebook. Im not sure if I can link anything here.

Will pm you a link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back