Snake ID

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chanzey

Reaction score
Now I'm pretty certain it's an Orange Naped Snake, but wondering if it could possibly be a different naped as some of the pictures Ive looked at look similar to others, anyone want to confirm.

I have read they stand upright and kind of bluff as a defensive measure and this guy was certainly doing that, but at what I don't know... he wasn't looking at me :p He was doing it from the middle of the road to the other side? Had to move around to the other side for front on shot..

Orange Naped Snake (3).jpgOrange Naped Snake (6).jpgOrange Naped Snake (2).jpgOrange Naped Snake (4).jpg

Jordo,

why not a barnardi? I cannot see a nasal cleft from those pics to rule barnardi in or out. I would run with Furina sp without further info

cheers
scott

Last edited:
Scott,
What's the latest on these guys. A few years back when the attached photo's were taken I was under the impression that both barnardi and ornata would, when keyed out produce the same result - F. ornata.
At the time i stuck with Furina barnardi, have I labelled them correctly?
Cheers,
Mike.

Attachments

• yellow naped snake.jpg
    yellow naped snake.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 143
  • yellow naped snake 1 Juvenile.jpg
    yellow naped snake 1 Juvenile.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 130
Hi Mike,

The one of the right has a nasal cleft which ornata don't have (at least the ornata I have seen). In the adult (Female?) it is consistant with barnardi but I cannot make out the head scalation well enough from that image as posted.

Cheers,
Scott

I stand corrected. Do you have a paper on Furinas Scott? It doesn't mention anything about nasal clefts in Wilson and Swan.
Cheers

Cheers guys, those were the two I was tossing up between, thanks for the details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back