yearling GTP weight

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chondrobsessed

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have question regarding the typical weight of a GTP at one year of age.
Last week I got my partner to weigh my little bub and it came back as 40g.
It sounded very light to me, I'm not sure if he tore the weight of the tub correctly or not so I'll weigh again in a few days (just fed last night fuzzy mouse).
My question is, those of you who have owned yearling or GTP breeders, what do think is an average weight range for a yearling?
He/she was born last October.
I'll add a pic if that would help in weight guesstimations.
Thanks all.
GTP1year.jpg

Heres the one here thats 10 months from Bryce ,eats rats, on small ones now,kept well hydrated in a plastic tub.

....okay that's just a little different!
The breeder said it was getting fed once a week, I'm assuming yours is too?
I'm not sure how there can be such a large weight disparity?
I've fed the little guy three times since it's arrival and it has not problems eating, and there was no history of feeding issues.
Anyone ever heard of such a small yearling?
I don't think the dates are wrong just because I bought off quite a reputable breeder.
Thanks for the pic zulu, says a thousand words!

I've fed the little guy three times since it's arrival and it has not problems eating, and there was no history of feeding issues.
I don't think the dates are wrong just because I bought off quite a reputable breeder.

in the same age as my friend and im 4ft9 and shes 5ft5

in sure your snake is healthy its prob just smaller

Cathy

Your GTP is perfectly alright ,better to be on the safe side ,the one here gets fed a few times a week or when its hungry :)

I received mine as a yearling off a reputable breeder as well and he was 40g. When I had him checked out, although he was healthy, for his size I was told he was small. Now a year later he's green and more than tripled in size and that’s only with weekly feeding (nothing large either, most items don't even leave a bulge).

40g seems to be small for a yearling but the animal looks healthy in that picture, each animal will always be different.

My yearlings normally range from 110g - 130g fed once a week and are never fed anything bigger than is suitable for that animal. A slight bulge is the easiest way to describe it.

Thanks a lot to all who replied,
As it is my first GTP I didn't realise it was small until I thought about the whole not sexed until 1yr or 100g rule of thumb and realised we have reached one milestone far before the other and did a search on here and found an add for a yearling at 150ish grams.
The little one does act healthy, very active at night, caudal louring, drinking off the glass & eating enthusiastically.
The fuzzy mice do leave a subtle bulge, nothing too obvious.
Thanks again all!

40g seems to be small for a yearling but the animal looks healthy in that picture, each animal will always be different.

My yearlings normally range from 110g - 130g fed once a week and are never fed anything bigger than is suitable for that animal. A slight bulge is the easiest way to describe it.
+1

If your animal is 40 grams at 1 yo and has been fed weekly, it has been fed smaller feed items over its life. Some breeders recommend small feed item for the first year to avoid possible prolapse problems. I would think you could feed that animal more than a fizzie mouse which is about 5 grams, as thats only about 12% of its body weight. I would feed hopper/weaner mice (about 10-15 grams) as they have a little more maturity than fuzzies as well as the extra mass.

+2

+ 3

What weight do you guys feel a female 2 year old GTP should be?. Weighed mine a week ago and she was 995g. She was exactly 2 years today or tomorrow. My male is a bit smaller as it slowed down on the feeding over winter - but I did not weigh him.

What weight do you guys feel a female 2 year old GTP should be?. Weighed mine a week ago and she was 995g. She was exactly 2 years today or tomorrow. My male is a bit smaller as it slowed down on the feeding over winter - but I did not weigh him.

Damn thats a good size for two years old. I'd give it another year then breed her.

A yearling over 150 grams

IMG_0515.jpg

Last edited:
it's growth rate is probably something similar to the GTP in the wild. They don't get feed once a week (everyweek).

Chondrobsessed I think mine may be sister to yours! mother is bluebell.
I'm glad you posted as I purchased a Gtp in October and he was born December 2011 so this makes him older Than Shanti but he is three times shanti's size and he was green when I got him. I have nothing to weight them with but I am going to town tomorrow to get digital scales. So I will let you know what they weigh I believe Mowgli maybe older than I was told or I've heard wrong.

Yes I think Mojito is shanti's sibling! Bluebell was the mother DOB 03/10/11. We should keep in touch and exchange progress photos! So Shanti has been sexed as a girl? I havnt had Mojito sexed yet, hoping for a girl.

Also Zulu had a photo up of their 8 month old and it was about 4 times the size of Mojito, the age of your boy is probably correct.

atu2y6yr.jpg
this is Shanti, yes she was purchased as female so tiny compared to Mowgli!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back