Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MyMitchie

Reaction score
Hey guys sorry yes another one of these threads!

I am sick to death of spending money on heat lamps when they either cook my snake or have to be turned on and off 20 times a day by a thermostat.

I have heard of these heat cords and would love to hear some advice on them. I have a glass tank and use coir peat. Would it be better if I put the heat cord underneath the glass or on the inside under the coir peat?
I have noticed that they only need a very low wattage will it still get him to appropriate temps? I live on the Sunny Coast QLD and it gets HOT if that helps.

Thanks for reading my annoying questions guys!

If it cooks that snake, maybe buy a globe that is a lower wattage since the heat escapes A LOT quicker from a glass cage.

A 100W wasn't getting hot enough and then the 150W is too hot. The other problem is that the snake is in our spare room and we have to be able to turn it on and off every now and again and as soon as we do BAM blown bulb.

I have no experience with heatcords so i wouldnt know, but with my glass tank which houses a childrens python i use a heatmat connected to a thermostat placed underneith the glass tank and it works well for me.

Heat cords are awesome if used properly. The most common way is to get a bit of wood or something and route zig zag lines into it which you lay the heat cord in. You then place a ceramic tile or similar on top and you've essentially made yourself a heat pad. They're completely water proof so you can put it inside the enclosure (I put mine on top of the substrate but either is fine). How hot it gets depends mostly on how close you zig your zags. The best thing to do is to experiment using tape before actually routing the grooves but anywhere from 15 to 30mm will typically give you high enough temps for typical python requirements

hey mate i dont use heat cord as yet but plan on when i build my new enclosures which will be tall ones, i think they will be better in them, at the moment in my diamonds enclosure which is only 600x650x450 deep i use 2x40watt blue party globes on a thermostat for heat they are about $1.60 each and a 450mm fluro which after some adjusments gives me a hot spot of 30 degrees on her favorite branch, in my bredli enclosures which are 3x2x2 i have 2x50watt purple reptile night heating globes on a thermostat and a 60watt white reflector globe to create a hot spot of around 37-40 occasionally, as they do not come out during the day the white light heats up the spot under it so when i turn it off at night it keeps its heat and the snakes come out and use it as a basking spot, night time temps are about 35 in the warm end

heatcord is awesome mate. For your setup you could also use a heatpanel or heatmat connected to a thermostat.

Heat cords are awesome if used properly. The most common way is to get a bit of wood or something and route zig zag lines into it which you lay the heat cord in. You then place a ceramic tile or similar on top and you've essentially made yourself a heat pad. They're completely water proof so you can put it inside the enclosure (I put mine on top of the substrate but either is fine). How hot it gets depends mostly on how close you zig your zags. The best thing to do is to experiment using tape before actually routing the grooves but anywhere from 15 to 30mm will typically give you high enough temps for typical python requirements

Thats a pretty good idea, what size heatcord would be good for a 3x2x2, 4x2x2 and a 6x2x2? will it work as good placed under sand? (i dont use sand but my brother wants to use it)

thanks.

If putting it under a sand substrate I would put it on the outside bottom of the enclosure. I just think its too messy on the inside with sand but that is my personal preference. Same with heatmats.
If using a tile over the top then place the cord or mat under the tile.
Best of luck mate and be sure to use a thermostat.
Are the enclosures going to be stacked one on top of the other? If using different chords for each enclosure then you will only really need a few meters per enclosure

Rightio, ill most likely put it under the tank but i will test it inside aswell just to see which one i prefer, thanks...as for the enclosures being stacked i dont think they will be but depends on how much room we have at the time.

I think I might try a heat mat first and see how warm that gets and then upgrade to a heat cord. Ahh got to love working at a pet store and reaping the discount benefits!

Just make sure you allow some airflow (with feet or something under the tank) or heat mats can get dangerously hot

The tank has feet on it already so it'll just sit about 2cm under the glass.

I love the heading 'head cords'. Do they keep your noggin warm? :)

i didnt even realise either lol

can anyone recommend a particular brand or wattage? or will any cheap ebay job do for a zigzagd heat tile

i didnt even realise either lol

can anyone recommend a particular brand or wattage? or will any cheap ebay job do for a zigzagd heat tile

Herp shop have a few on their website- different lengths and wattages. Worth having a look even if it is just to get ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back