bird eating spider Help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DoItUrSELF

Reaction score
i have just bought a bird eating spider its in a 2x3 foot tank from the pet shop. the people said its about 4 years old,female humidity is between 70 - 80. i just need some help to make sore everything is right. the sub straight is kritter crumble i sprayed it with a bit of water and mixed it through before i put it in, my spider is just sitting in a ditch and has not moved for 2 days, tried feeding it not interested in the food not shore if i'm doing it all right. just need some general help.

How often should i change the sub straight?
How often should i feed?
Do i need like a night light or something like that to simulate when its dark?

i looked it all up but have gotten many different answers :S help would be appreciated.
thanks, :)
ps :will post some photos :)

Did you buy it on impulse? And did the seller know you were a newbie and run you through how to care for it?

need plenty of substrate, the more the better as they like to burrow. depending on your species though it will be either an opportunistic burrower and will make a home in something you put in the tank or if obligate will just burrow to a depth it feels secure. How deep is your substrate and do you have any furnishings? Where are you located? They should be heated by a heatmat or cord to about 26 degrees or so. Tarantulas do like to be warm.
In regard to food I only feed mine about once a week but work out a schedule that works for you, tarantulas can go months without food.
Lastly, lighting... They do not need it at all. Tarantulas like most invertebrates will be more comfortable in a dark quiet place.
Even though it has not been doing much dont hassle it to much, they can stress easily. especially if incorrect care is being given.

I have coco peat in my enclosures and they also like smaller enclosures. I have a tarantula about 90cm leg span and its more then happy in a 1x1 enclosure something to climb on and something to hide in or burrow in

You could massively downsize the tank as i think it is too big. Replace the critter crumble which dries out way to quick with Brunnings coir peet or coco peet wit a blue label NO FERTILYSERS(from bunnings $2 a brick in the gardening aisle) Mix in about 20% white clean sand which i find holds a burrow better.Humidity is good but dont make it too wet, alittle condensation on the side is good but not dripping everywhere. Minimal ventilation in the lid is requirred, im using 2x 1/8 drill bit holes at the moment and seems to be fine with weekly misting. I feed weekly with an adult cricket for an adult spider. No light is requirred and if you want to view them use red cellophane over your torch as it is the least offensive to them. Any temp from 22 to 32 but do not heat from underneath ever.....Different temps will result in different behavior etc. Post some pics if you can and more advice could be given.

You could massively downsize the tank as i think it is too big. Replace the critter crumble which dries out way to quick with Brunnings coir peet or coco peet wit a blue label NO FERTILYSERS(from bunnings $2 a brick in the gardening aisle) Mix in about 20% white clean sand which i find holds a burrow better.Humidity is good but dont make it too wet, alittle condensation on the side is good but not dripping everywhere. Minimal ventilation in the lid is requirred, im using 2x 1/8 drill bit holes at the moment and seems to be fine with weekly misting. I feed weekly with an adult cricket for an adult spider. No light is requirred and if you want to view them use red cellophane over your torch as it is the least offensive to them. Any temp from 22 to 32 but do not heat from underneath ever.....Different temps will result in different behavior etc. Post some pics if you can and more advice could be given.

I knew I missed a few things! lol. How are all the T's mate?

beauty! Best of luck mate, glad she didn't chow down before you got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back