Lighting and Heating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hm... I think we'll be going for UV. It only seems natural that they would need UV.

OK, so we're deciding what thermostat to go with -- choosing between Habistat and Microclimate.

The only thing we've been wondering is how to actually control the temperature. I know it makes it a little more difficult because we still haven't settled on whether to get a beardie or monitor...

So, the Microclimate comes in a high temperature version, with a cap of 45 degrees, rather than 35. This should work fine for a beardie, but what about monitors? If they need a basking temperature of up to 55-60 degrees, how can you control the temperature accurately?

I've read that a lot of people place the probe in the middle of the tank, meaning it would be about halfway along the gradient. But does this work accurately?

Hopefully someone can enlighten me :lol:

I have both brands of thermostats. Comes down to personal choice, and sometimes price, they both work very well.
I generally use them to protect the cooler end of the tank from getting too hot in summer. If the tank gets too hot and there is no where to get away from the heat you would want the heat lamp to switch off instead of adding to the problem. The thermostat is really about added safety rather than basking temp control.
I don't have thermostats directly monitor or control the heat lamps. If you are using a lamp that is way too hot it is not very effective to have it constantly switching on and off with a thermostat.
I put a temp gauge under the heat lamp when setting up to check what a particular wattage or type of lamp will produce at the basking point. If it is not correct I change the lamp or the distance to the basking spot to fix it. At different times of the year you may need to change the wattage to compensate for air temps and just monitor the temps with a temp gauge.

Alrighty -- thanks, people.

Have to see what the temperatures are like once everything's set up (getting there...).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back