other materials?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pythonlovers

Reaction score
Hey guys,
i know i have done a few of theses but still, bare with me.
im trying to figure out other type of materials you could use instead of Melamine or wood? what else do people use to build their
own enclosures with?
i have been told you could use MDF, but just looked it up and seems a bit on the heavy side of things.

jesse.

hey well ive seen alot of terreriums being built out of a sort of perspex, not sure if exo terra exists where youre at but if you can, have a look at those things they look really nice, well ive only seen them on a smaller scale so im not really sure how itll look on a larger scale but just check it out :)

been wondering about these perspex type terrariums... how would they go with heatmats underneath etc? Wouldnt the plastic let off some type of nasty fumes for our critters?

Big *** spotlights/basking lights positioned near the end of perspex enclosure could also possibly do something similar?

If anyone knows about these plastics etc, please chime in!

nah it treated in some way and beacuase of the thickness of the plastic the heat doesnt doesnt really affect it, well ofcourse you have to be reasonable with the wattage bulb and heat pad to be in proportion with the size of your tank. and like i said those plastics are treated with hardners of sorts so not any old plastics will work. well thats just my views
been wondering about these perspex type terrariums... how would they go with heatmats underneath etc? Wouldnt the plastic let off some type of nasty fumes for our critters?

Big *** spotlights/basking lights positioned near the end of perspex enclosure could also possibly do something similar?

If anyone knows about these plastics etc, please chime in!

lol just making sure because i dont know who has what in the world lol, well ive owned a few of those exo terra stuff, didnt really have much of a prob, well thats the only other thing i can think of.
haha, yeah exo terra exists here, its made from glass....which doesnt really hold heat to well.

I had a few, and I haven't had a problem either, but I have heard from others they have. But what I originally ask was so I could build my own.

- - - Updated - - -

I had a few, and I haven't had a problem either, but I have heard from others they have. But what I originally ask was so I could build my own.

I'm about to submit my plans to the minister of war and finances( the wife) to build some big enclosures in the old garage/new herp room out of hebal blocks. They're light, have good insulation value and are easy to use.
Just another idea depending on the size you want.

cheers, and haha minister of war and finances! are they expensive? and where to you get them from? and probs not good for what i want to do but its good to know for future reference! should probs put what i wanna build to help, i wanna build a 3 bay, 4 1/2ft long x 7 1/2ft high (2 1/2 ft high each bay) x 2 ft deep. i wanna try some new. not the same old melamine or wood.

cheers, and haha minister of war and finances! are they expensive? and where to you get them from? and probs not good for what i want to do but its good to know for future reference! should probs put what i wanna build to help, i wanna build a 3 bay, 4 1/2ft long x 7 1/2ft high (2 1/2 ft high each bay) x 2 ft deep. i wanna try some new. not the same old melamine or wood.

No there not that pricey when you compare what your getting around $6.50 per block bought as a single less if you buy more and you can get them from bunnings or brick suppliers.
Have you thought about reclaimed tongue and grove flooring. It is wood but its not ply or mdf. There's always corrugated iron for a feature back and mini orb is cheep and easy to use and secure because of the smaller corrugations.
Just a few ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back