Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kevincgympie

Reaction score
Have a mystery snake spending a lot of time in my fish pond but does not eat the goldfish. In gympie, qld, it's about 1 meter long. I have red bellied blacks, scrub pythons and tree snakes on my 5 acre block as well. i saw it last year as well it has not grown much at all. any help appreciated, just like to know what i'm dealing with. photos below, thanks.
kevin, gympie, qld.

p1197552750-4.jpg

p1197552848-4.jpg

Keelback. Would be after frogs in the area. Harmless colubrid.
Great photos.

- - - Updated - - -

It could also be a rough scaled snake which is very dangerous. These species are very similar. Check with Ben Moore at amazing amazon.

Yeah and a nice looker too. Your photography looks amazing. I never think photos do snakes any justice but those photos really do do it justice. Not that I've seen the actual animal.

Thanks everyone, that's a load off my mind. I was set up in a bird hide to photograph small birds and the snake just happened to come past at the right time,- i was able to snap off a few frames. I see it a lot so just needed to be certain in case i stepped on it by accident.

That's some of the best photography I've seen. Ripper photos of awesome keelback

If your in Gympie the pythons would not be scrub pythons, most likely coastal carpets.

Nice to see non-herp people with a genuine fascination and admiration contributing to this forum.

Yes it is a keelback as said before the diference beetween the rough scale and the keelback (keeping terms simple) there is an extra scale in between the eye and the nostil as this one does.
The keel back love swamps will some times act agressivly if startled. and they will attack. Our crew had 1 incident last week in the cleveland area and 2 years ago another crew member was bitten on the back of his leg as he walked away from one. But there not venomous as previously stated. If you do get bitten applie apropriate first aid and please seek medical attention.
If you live in the greater brisbane areas there is Rough scale snakes arround but are uncommon.

you should enter the first photo into the 2013 calendar comp. it would defiantly get in there :)

Yes it is a keelback as said before the diference beetween the rough scale and the keelback (keeping terms simple) there is an extra scale in between the eye and the nostil as this one does.
The keel back love swamps will some times act agressivly if startled. and they will attack. Our crew had 1 incident last week in the cleveland area and 2 years ago another crew member was bitten on the back of his leg as he walked away from one. But there not venomous as previously stated. If you do get bitten applie apropriate first aid and please seek medical attention.
If you live in the greater brisbane areas there is Rough scale snakes arround but are uncommon.

Just curious as to why anyone would need medical attention for a keelback bite??

The bite is ALOT different also lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back