what's wrong with my girls tail :( + some pics of my gorgeous girl

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sanna

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Help I'm a noob, the tip of my 8 month old stimmi's tail doesn't look right :(
SAM_0991.jpgSAM_1001.jpgSAM_0993.jpg

I've heard that if a snake doesn't shed properly and the shed stays on the end of their tail it can cut off circulation and cause the tip to fall off. Her last shed she shed completely apart the tip of her tail. So i waited a day then gave her a bath in luke-warm water and gently rubbed it with a soft towel until it came off (she didn't seem to mind) But not I'm thinking that I must have missed a bit or something, but that was about two weeks ago anyway...any ideas? Anything I can do to help her? She doesn't seem irritated by it when I touch it. I've only noticed it today since I fed her yesterday morning (thus her fat belly still lol) so I haven't gotten her out until now.

Hope it isn't anything too serious! Here are some other pictures of her. I've had her for almost 4 months now and she has grown so much :)
SAM_0997.jpgSAM_1002.jpgSAM_1030.jpg

p.s. does anybody know how to enter pics into a post already large? or can you only do that if the picture is from a URL?

Thanks

Wow she is beautiful, Hmm my two first thoughts was either a retained tip or a burn, is there anywhere she could get burnt? I think the retained tail shed is probably more what it looks like but if you said you got it off then I'm not sure.
She is a stunning snake though, I love Stimmi's

It looks like you may have accidentally pulled off some skin with the old shed, as that seems like an open wound. It may heal up on its own but i woukd suggest a trip to a reptile vet just to be sure there is no infection.

Wow she is beautiful, Hmm my two first thoughts was either a retained tip or a burn, is there anywhere she could get burnt? I think the retained tail shed is probably more what it looks like but if you said you got it off then I'm not sure.
She is a stunning snake though, I love Stimmi's

I don't think it would be a burn. She has a heat mat covered by a tile with astroturf over the top (as it was not possible to put the heat mat under the tank.) The heat mat has a thermostat and I have closely watched the temps that the tile reaches (no more than 33 at any point) plus the astroturf blocks some of the heat anyway. She has a heat light in one of those box things (don't know the name) and that sits on top of the mesh top of her tank. The mesh doesn't get hot at all as the light is too far away. So I think I can rule out a burn.

If it is a retained tail what can I do to help her? Thank you, I think she is the most gorgeous stimmi ever but of course I am biased :p

It looks like you may have accidentally pulled off some skin with the old shed, as that seems like an open wound. It may heal up on its own but i woukd suggest a trip to a reptile vet just to be sure there is no infection.

I hope that I haven’t done that :( But I helped to remove the tip about 2 weeks ago and I haven’t noticed anything until now :/ Plus the tip sled off easily as it'd been soaked in water beforehand, I didn’t pull at it. If this was the case though, what can I do?

I would really urge you to see a vet, just in case you risk losing any more tissue. Best case they can give you some antibiotic cream or just betadine for it to heal up.

please note that the pictures do make it look a lot worse than it is...the real size of it is 2-3mm.

Yes, antibiotic cream like Silverzine so a trip to the vet.

Retained shed on the tip of the tail can be very tricky in my experience. I have a diamond that retained the tip and although I thought I got it all off the tip of her tail, about 2cm, died and had to be removed by a vet. Doesn`t effect her in any way and now you can hardly tell its missing.

Okay thanks for your input guys. I'm going to call up the reptile store that I got her from (family friend works there, very professional store with lots of experienced staff) and ask if it is alright for me to bring her in. Then I'll see what they say as to whether to take her to the vet or if they have something to put on it. Thanks again. Think I've caught it pretty early so with the proper treatment I'm hopeful that it should clear up pretty quickly.

Yep I'm on the betadine fluid twice a day, hopefully I'll see some improvement soon :)
If not, then I'll take her to the vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back