Spotted python hatchling questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lachie2261

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello I have just decided to purchase my first python. Spotted python. From friends, Internet and books I've learnt everything I feel I need to know just some things I'm not sure of are..
im told not to keep them in a big cage but

how long should he be when I can take him out of the click clack container?
and
what size heat pad should i get for the click clack container period?

Thanks

The size of you r heat mat depends on the heat you need and the size of your click clack... how big is your click clack and what temps do you need to obtain?

My click clack is 30x25x25cm and Needs temperatures of 33 - 35 degrees :) Thank you :)

you dont want it to be anymore than 1/3 of the base of the click clack, so 10cm x25cm (or as close to as you can) get would be a good size. Amazing amazon has ones with built in thermostats which are quite effective.

Hi Lachie, welcome to Aussie Pythons.....do you know if your spotted is a male or female? When I got my first spotted I was told so many conflicking things as to what to house the snake, to what to feed it, to using fake rocks, real rocks, bark, sand, Kitty litter, broom handles, tree branches, glass enclosures, wood enclosures, tall tanks, long tanks etc...it got so confusing trust me.
I was told not to put them in a large tank as they can stress....please...your telling me that when a snake is born in the wide with all that open space around it that they stress...hell no they deal with it and search their new turf. Same as my spotted did as soon as I put it in a tank that is 1.5mtrs long, 0.5mtrs high and 0.5mtrs wide. Glass on the front and both sides, ply on top, back and bottom. I saw my snake grow when it was in the new tank...just make sure your snake can not get out of the tank as they can get out of a small hole.
Also I use real branches, rocks and bark..I can not stand putting snakes in plastic racks for breeding purposes...show off your snake.
Check out other tank set ups and go with what you think is best.
Spotted Pythons are such great snakes...I had no trouble with my 4 snakes...but due to other issues, working too much, I sold them to great people who send me pics and keep me up to date about them.
I was given a diamond python that the owner didnt want anymore. He is the only snake I have ever met that does hiss...but only as a "leave me alone" thing..as soon as I pick him up, he settles down and just relax in my hand.
Anything else you want to know, drop me a line...cheers

I dont think it stresses the hatchie that it is in a big enclosure, I think it stresses the owner (human) because it is hard to see the little snake in a big enclosure :lol:

If I were you (just my opinion) put the entire click clack with its lid off in the big secure enclosure. Put plenty of hides in the big enclosure and leave it like that. If the snake is 'stressed' he can stay in the click clack..... I bet you wont find him in there in an hours time;)

Then remove the click clack if he isnt using it..... and enjoy your snake ;)

i agree i don't use click clacks, i'd be bored if i was a snake. i put them in an enclosure with hides, branches ect and they love it. they explore and climb and seem really happy to me.

I'm with you saintanger, otherwise there would be all these 'basket case' nervous wild hatchlings cowering and stressed out in the big bad world every season.... :lol: I am sure they would just head for some sort of cover which is why a few hides in a large enclosure is good. If you keep a hatchie in a click clack for a while, that is ok, but doesnt have to be for months because you think you must for some reason. Especially if you have a nice enclosure waiting for it to go in after the legendary 6 months or whatever :rolleyes:

Easier to use click clack if u got a problem feeder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back