Bearded dragon gender help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prickle

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to reptiles apart from a few marbled geckos I kept when I was younger, only recently my girlfriend and I bought two little beardies. Now we were told that it is impossible to sex them until they're 9 months or so. I also read up though that judging by their behaviour you may be able to tell. I would really like to know their genders. They're both central bearded dragons, about 3-4 months old. One is fairly light and mostly yellow, the other is reasonably dark. The dark one was quite smaller than the yellow one all round but has only in the last few days shot up to the same size. The dark one also is very active and does ALOT of hand waving and a little bit of head bobbing where as the yellow one does neither and actually bit the dark one on the head today. Do these factors give any idea as to what gender they may be?
:)

Nope lol.
Best to take a picture of their vent from behind with the tail lifted.
Normally arm waving is a submissive gesture and head bobbing is a dominant gesture

pe5a6avu.jpg

there you go
Cathy

Cheers Grogshla, I'm just so eager to know what their genders are, they can then be named appropriately lol. Its just so odd that you cannot know the gender for such a long time, i mean my girlfriend breeds guinea pigs and she can tell their gender the second they're born when it supposedly can only be told in a few weeks and does take others far longer than her to be certain/accurate.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you Cathy for your above, helpful picture. In regards to your second post, we've done a lot of research and found that its more commonly just males that can't live together. Any other combinations are generally fine as long as they have places to hide and are kept an eye on. Thanks for the concern :)
p.s the also have a fairly large enclosure.

Last edited:
Cheers Grogshla, I'm just so eager to know what their genders are, they can then be named appropriately lol. Its just so odd that you cannot know the gender for such a long time, i mean my girlfriend breeds guinea pigs and she can tell their gender the second they're born when it supposedly can only be told in a few weeks and does take others far longer than her to be certain/accurate.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you Cathy for your above, helpful picture. In regards to your second post, we've done a lot of research and found that its more commonly just males that can't live together. Any other combinations are generally fine as long as they have places to hide and are kept an eye on. Thanks for the concern :)
p.s the also have a fairly large enclosure.

We have been keeping our 2 (male and female) together for a year with no issues. We do have a spare enclosure if the need arises and they are monitored throughout the day. It may help that they have been together all their life? From being in the same hatchy tub to being in their shared enclosure aswell.

I've been told on many occaisions by different people that beardies are fine together except for adult males. Also they are better if they are put together as young as possible

My mates have had 2 females living together since they were babies. It just worked out that they were females which was a great relief. THey have never had an issue and often climb and rest on eachother. Keeping females together is ok. Any other combo will most likely have problems.

their natural born temperement plays a big role in how they will live with other beardies which is what ive found out in keeping beardies for many years, but the most dead;y combo i have found to be, just like in many other species, is having more males then females or even having equal number of males and females, but keeping two togethr isnt really a problem unless one has a natural tendency to be aggressive. well thats just my vies and observations. :)
My mates have had 2 females living together since they were babies. It just worked out that they were females which was a great relief. THey have never had an issue and often climb and rest on eachother. Keeping females together is ok. Any other combo will most likely have problems.

i have two beardies, lived together their whole life no problems. she picks on him a little here and there but they're both in good condition still so i dont see any real reason why you'd separate them unless obvious signs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back