Hmm which to choose?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bananapeel

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Contemplating getting a lizard.

Have done ****loads of research but I can't make up my mind as to which one I want so I came to get some personal preferences. As much as I'd love it I can not get all three or even two so please dont suggest that.

Anyway back to topic.
It is between:
Bearded Dragon - best for handling
Southern angle headed dragon - easy to maintain (no heat required)
Smooth knob tailed gecko - adorable

So what's your personal preference/ experience?

Thanks very much,
bananapeel

i havent had lizards before, but id go with a beardie, they seem to have their own personalities and are relatively easy to keep from what I've read.

from my experience they are all lovely. Dragon will give you the most enjoyment as you can bring him out and chill out and handle him.

Yeah beardies sound very manageable and the most content just to chill.
Thanks guys
Love all the monitors blake particularly the ackies but would prefer to keep them in quite a big enclosure which unfortunately I don't have the space. although ackies aren't huge..... hmm ill think about it. :D

Contemplating getting a lizard.
Southern angle headed dragon - easy to maintain (no heat required)

Please don't confuse not requiring heat with easy to maintain.
They require high humidity and a stable low temp environment to prevent heat stress.
SAD are also prone to sulking if the enclosure is not set up to their liking.

As for my preference I like geckos, mostly.
In the space you need for one BD you could keep up a dozen knob tails.
Only need heat, no light.

Bearded Dragons = WIN (not bias at all ;)) Big personalities, you can "play" with them and have them out, nearly always visable in their tank, basking etc etc, LIGHT/HEAT setup is very important
Geckos = Easier to maintain (much simpler setup), CRAZY cute, will only be active at night when hunting, look but dont touch type of animal
Angle Headed = Not much exp with these, so i wont comment :p

Yes there is abit more to do with a BD compared to a Knob-Tail but IMO its worth it.

it all depends on what YOU want. do you want someone to handle? someone to watch? etc etc.

I like beardies, easy to keep, fun to watch they like to be handled and they come in awesome colours and morphs.

If you want something a tiny bit larger maybe and eastern water dragon.. not as good and handling but do put up with it with a little persistance but i love to watch mine. very funny and ive had mine for coming up 2 years and never cleaned one poo up :D lots of water changes however.. but i use a large storage tub full of water and change it every 3 days.. all their mess is contained to the water.

I reckon Beardies for first time lizard or an Ackie (Ridge Tailed Monitor)
Both are my preference but I think a Beardie would better.

bearded dragons are really lovely creature to own but depending on what you want in a pet this might not be the best option for you as they tend to be very lazy creatures at times, if docile, calm, lazy, easy to handle and maintian creatures is what youre looking for then yeah beardies are ideal.

Mmm sounds like beardies are the way to go. Otherwise it would be the geckoes. Out of interest, what kind of cage size does and eastern water dragon need when fully grown?
Thanks for all the input guys, appreciate it.
If you want you can post some pics......:lol:
plus enclosure if you want. I know I want them and I know you wanna show off your babies :p

An Eastern Water Dragon would definitely need a custom made enclosure if you were to have it in an enclosure. I hear a lot of people keep their Water Dragons in outside pits and clossed in areas, as if the climate is right they do well. As I have not kept any all this is only from stuff I have heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back