Plants for ExoTerra tanks?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazordous-Herps

Reaction score
Hi, I have been looking into getting an ExoTerra as they look pretty nice. I'm looking at a smaller model and an thinking about putting some sort of plants in it. If anyone can tell me if this is possible or if they are doing the same thing I would appreciate it. Also if this is possible what kind of plants can you keep in them.

Hi, I have been looking into getting an ExoTerra as they look pretty nice. I'm looking at a smaller model and an thinking about putting some sort of plants in it. If anyone can tell me if this is possible or if they are doing the same thing I would appreciate it. Also if this is possible what kind of plants can you keep in them.

The first thing you need to do is figure out what species you want to keep in it.(If your going to keep something in it) Once I know the temp and humidity requirements ill be able to give you a list of plants you can use.

The first thing you need to do is figure out what species you want to keep in it.(If your going to keep something in it) Once I know the temp and humidity requirements ill be able to give you a list of plants you can use.
I'm not going to keep any reptile in it, it's just for plants.

Maybe some carnivorous plants, they look pretty cool, a bit different and easy to grow in terrariums you just need correct lighting and drainage.

Maybe some carnivorous plants, they look pretty cool, a bit different and easy to grow in terrariums you just need correct lighting and drainage.
I have read about carnivorous plants, they seem pretty nice. But what ones are you able to get in Australia, and where can you get them? Does someone know what kind of carnivorous plants you can get, I just need to know the plant before I go and find out about lighting, humidity, drainage, temperature and food.

My favorite Genus of carnivorous plants is Nepenthes. They are tropical pitcher plants. They do well in high humidity and high light in vivariums. They come in all sizes from verry smale to large. I'm 99% shure you can keep them in Australia. Neoregelia is a Genus of bromeliads. They have some really nice and small colorful plants. Another Genus of bromeliads you should look into is Tillandsia. I'll post some pictures once I get off of work.

Some thing to consider… Why are carnivorous plants carnivorous? They need the nitrogen they can extract from invertebrates’ bodies. Nitrogen is most often available to land plants as nitrates. All nitrates are highly soluble. So water that moves through the top half metre or so of the ground will have plants removing the nitrates. If this water then flows to a surface soak, or through soil below the surface, it is likely to be totally devoid of nitrates. The lack of nitrates is going to restrict the growth of all plants, other than those that are able to acquire nitrates from an alternative source. This is the sort of terrain where you will find carnivorous plants.

It is therefore important to do your research on the growing conditions required for any given species of carnivorous plant, be it Drosera, Nepenthes, Cephalotus, Sarracena, Dionaea, Darlingtonia, Utricularia etc. These are often far different from those of usual terrestrial garden plants.

Epiphytes are plants adapted to growing on other things, such as tree trunks or rock faces, rather than in soil. These are really well suited to growth in containers as a general rule. However, you still need to investigate each individual plants’ specific requirements and growth habits. For example, the Bird’s Nest Fern Asplenium nidus is brilliantly suited to glass enclosure cultivation. However the rapid growth this will allow the fern will see it outgrow most small containers within a few months.

Apart from the few epiphytic ferns, there are also epiphytic cacti, orchids, aroids, lichens and mosses. Perhaps the best know epiphytes are the Bromeliad family, especially Tillandsia (Air Plants) group.

I can suggest a few suitable species but suspect others have more expertise in the container growing of these plants than I. I will reaffirm that Neoregelia are a beautiful genus of brom’s to start with.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck with this mate!

I can barely pick which python i want out of what 18-20 species? Let alone THOUSANDS of plant species, hehe.

Cant wait for progress pics, will be quite interesting!

Good luck with this mate!

I can barely pick which python i want out of what 18-20 species? Let alone THOUSANDS of plant species, hehe.

Cant wait for progress pics, will be quite interesting!

Thanks everyone I will look into the plants suggested and do some more research, as i am going away for the Christmas holidays i cant get this done this year. But will surely try next year, if I do get it done i will post a thread with the pictures. Thanks for the help!

Nepenthes mirabilis is a good one to start with as it comes from just north of Innisfail in the Eubenangee swamp . There are some Sundews from the Hinchinbrook Ranges and Dalrymple Creek-- Drosera adelae and Drosera schizandra from Mt Bartle Frere .All of these will be fine , there is no real need for the plants to catch insects as this is the equivilant of fertilizing a normal plant . but being in townsville you have no shortage of bugs :) .On a table with light coming from a window or a little morning sunshine and your good , a combination of spagnum moss ,peat and some perlite is a OK mix ,spray with water every day probably twice in summer

Its a good thing your not going to jump rite into your project. doing proper research will make the end result that much better. There is a dart frog fourm called Dendroboard. I think it would be a great place for you to surf through the old threads and learn diffrent build styles. As promised here are some pictures.

First up Tillandsias.

Tillandsia ionantha-Mexican Form

IMG_0565.jpg

Tillandsia ionantha "Peanut"

IMG_0568.jpg

Tillandsia fuchsia gracilis

IMG_0563.jpg

Tillandsia ionantha "Druid" grown outside of a viv

IMG_0114.jpg

Tillandsia aeranthos miniata

IMG_0547.jpg

Now some Neoregelias.

There are some that grow no larger then 2in, There are also some that grow 7 feet across. Here are some of my smaller and more terrarium suited Neos.

Neoregelia Dungsia

IMG_0564.jpg

Neoregelia Green apple x Fireball growing outdoors

IMG_0251-1.jpg

Neoregelia Blueberry Muffin growing outdoors

IMG_0449.jpg

Neoregelia ampullacea San Diago WBC 94grown outdoors

IMG_0501.jpg

Neoregelia Domino

IMG_0256.jpg

Neoregelia punctatissima "Joao Marcio"

IMG_0425.jpg

IME Neoregelia grow the best in Terrarium conditions. As long as they have high light and high humidity they will do great and keep there amazeing color. All the plants i have shown are growing in terrariums unless stated otherwise. Shoot me a pm anytime if you have questions or you need a second opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back