Diamond python advice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Langan21

Reaction score
Hello this is my first post I live in Melbourne and I have a 3 and half year old diamond python iv done abit of research but iv been getting conflicting information about heating so I just wanted to make sure I'm doing the right thing his currently in a 4ft high 3ft wide and 1ft deep encosure iv been using a 75watt heat lamp witch gets a heat gradient of 31 degrees on his basking shelf I have this on for 4 hours a day in the morning and then I have a 5.0 UVA/UVB light that I leave on for 12 hours and no heat at night would this be allright

diamonds dont need uv they only need direct sunlight for around about an hour in the morning then ambient temp for the rest diamonds are better suited to colder climates

Direct sunlight contains UV... this is the point of using artificial lights to simulate the sun's rays. There is no harm in using a uv 5.0 IMO, these are used for most non desert reptiles. I kept my diamond with a gradient of room temp at the cool and and high 20's, very low 30's for about 6-8 hours depending on the time of the year. She enjoyed basking, then would return to the cool end to thermo-regulate during the day. Good exercise, and beautiful to watch. They are suited to cooler climates, so unless it's getting very cold at night (next winter), I had no issue with no night heat. Just make sure to reduce/stop feeding during this time so there is no digestion issues.

Thanks for the advice I start work early so I don't have time in the morning to take him out in the sun for an hour that's why I'm using uv and the basking light connected to a timer I just wanted to make sure that I'm providing him with enough heat because before I got him the pet shop told me to give him heat 24/7 but after alot of research about dps and temps I thought I would do this instead

Pet shop people should be killed, warm your Diamond for a few hours of the morning, say 7-10 and have the heat on a timer to go off at this time. No heat at night, UV not completly neccessary if you can give your snake time in the sun a couple of times a week. I have mine outdoors and she gets sun between 8 and 11 in the AM and that is it no other heat sources.

Langan, The set up for Melb sounds fine to me. No one has proven the UVA requirements for the species but there are those who believe in it and those who dont. In my opinion it is no detriment so why not, especially if you cant get your snake outside on a regular basis, (Glass filters natural UVA so if the animal is kept indoors it will not get natural UV)
24/7 heat for diamonds is criminal advice.
I would also suggest you do lots of research into winter requirements as I winter all diamonds over 2 years of age again for health reasons though you may decide a different path

Langan, The set up for Melb sounds fine to me. No one has proven the UVA requirements for the species but there are those who believe in it and those who dont. In my opinion it is no detriment so why not, especially if you cant get your snake outside on a regular basis, (Glass filters natural UVA so if the animal is kept indoors it will not get natural UV)
24/7 heat for diamonds is criminal advice.
I would also suggest you do lots of research into winter requirements as I winter all diamonds over 2 years of age again for health reasons though you may decide a different path

I agree with the heating advice here for sure. 24/7 heat is not a good idea for diamonds at all. The UV debate is big, personally I think if the sun provides it and and you don't want to sun your snakes yourself (I never do), then getting a uva/uvb globe will do no harm. Do as much research as you can, and definitely do not take the word of pet shop people. I had one tell a friend that they should have their light on at night, because they're nocturnal and that's when they come out. Some of the advice is deplorable. Just keep doing what you're doing, seeking multiple opinions, and make a formula that works for you.

Thanks for the info is there anything use could recommend for winter cooling

- - - Updated - - -

Im in melbourne and all I do is provide a hot spot 3-4 hours a day and nothing else.
On occasion I will turn the hot spot off for a few days. No other artificial heat supplied at all. (And no feeding of course)

My diamonds get a heat source for the duration of natural daylight all year round at about 32 deg at the hot spot.
No night heat at all so they naturally cool themselves when winter sets in.
Make sure they have a wooden hide to keep them warm through those cold winter nights.
Obviously no feeding between late april through to October.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back