Rabbits in QLD

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
So let me get this straight... Apart from some decreased macropod activity, the only thing that rabbits damage is the farmers back pocket?

They probably do some damage to exotic forestry plantations, pasture land with exotic domesticated animals inhabiting, and maybe feed a few large pythons.... But otherwise, the damage rabbits cause seems to be already caused by humans.

I bet a few native bushes have suffered - but not as much as this domestic vege garden featured in this publication http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/document...Rabbit-Control-In-Queensland-Introduction.pdf

Really, there better be some tremendous evidence that the damage rabbits cause is to native fauna and not cleared pasture land.

I'd sooner rabbits than possums in NZ!

It's Strange how one can keep Cats and not Rabbits, Cats kill millions of native animals every year. Look at the Bilby, a fence was built to keep cats out and now after rain the last three years, cats have now got into the fenced enclosure and killed 75% of the bilbies. Yes rabbits cause problems , but cats kill any thing. In Queensland there is no evidence of domestic Rabbits breeding in the wild only wild European ones. DEEDI is looking at the law, But alas I think it will never happen that people in Queensland would be able to keep rabbits we can't even keep native marsupials, like some other states , what a croc. Look up Bio security website For details on Rabbits

Last edited:
If any of you decide to see where and how Australias rabbit population began you will know why they are banned in Qld. Its one of the smarter things they have done. Just because you can keep a cat doesn't mean we should open the floodgates on every species someone wants.

i had heaps of friends who had rabbits as a kid. All in QLD. Great pets!

Also had a mate with a ferret... terrible animal it was. Anyone and everyone who entered their house with exposed feet/ankles ALWAYS left some of their blood :p definitely an animal worthy of the tag: ninja!

I'm still looking for the report on the rabbit experiment they did in WA awhile ago, it was by the CSIRO if I remember correctly.

But the basic gist of it was that they released a number of domestic rabbits into the wild, and 12 months later did a follow up study. They found the domestic rabbits had almost zero impact on the environment and zero impact on already existing populations of wild rabbit. So if this is the main argument on why they are still illegal, it's pretty much ruled out there.

I don't believe for a second that pet rabbits are the source of feral rabbits. Feral rabbits have been established for what, best part of 200 years? As if a couple of white rabbits getting out is going to start a new population in an area that has none.
I suspect the reason for not allowing them has more to do with the calici virus vaccine. I don't know if there is any evidence, but there was suspicion that the antibodies could transfer into wild populations, especially with escapes.
I have seen white / patterned ferals in Vic and Tas, but to suggest there would not have been ferals there without pet escapees is naive.

But what if they escape and breed like rabbits???

This is exactly what happens....suburban backyards become rabbit warrens and they love excavating under houses, disturbing foundations and chewing through wiring in their desparate search for food.

Has anybody tried to catch a 'PET BUNNY' in the backyard.....??

I think, with all the trouble we have with our current domestics and ferals, QLD is doing what it can to reduce further risks. Cats, IMO should not be allowed outside, at all, and my 3 live indoors their whole life. Cruel? No, ignorance is bliss. Will the QLD laws work, no, but it's a step I think is necessary. There will always be those who don't care about laws. I mean look how many people on here are 'in the process of getting their licence', or selling animals in horrid condition or trying to palm an exotic off as a native. These laws make a small difference to the honest people like myself, who lived in QLD well over 15 years and never kept a rabbit despite my love for one.

We have enough ferals and let loose domestics as it is, FFS do we really need another flood gate opened for irresponsible owners to add to the mess our eco system has already suffered?

/end rant.

I suspect the reason for not allowing them has more to do with the calici virus vaccine. I don't know if there is any evidence, but there was suspicion that the antibodies could transfer into wild populations, especially with escapes.
Calici vaccine needs to be done annually and passes limited protection from mother to kittens for up to 3 months, so vacinated pet rabbits wont tranfer antibodies to wild populations.

I don't believe for a second that pet rabbits are the source of feral rabbits. Feral rabbits have been established for what, best part of 200 years? As if a couple of white rabbits getting out is going to start a new population in an area that has none.
I have seen white / patterned ferals in Vic and Tas, but to suggest there would not have been ferals there without pet escapees is naive.

The rabbit ban is a lot older than the calici virus introduction. The ban is due to massive and I stress massive detrimental environmental impact that rabbits had on the environment in southern states prior to the introduction of myxomatosis. Why would you think that the introdction of pet rabbit genetics into wild populations would only be benign or neutral?

The rabbit ban is a lot older than the calici virus introduction. The ban is due to massive and I stress massive detrimental environmental impact that rabbits had on the environment in southern states prior to the introduction of myxomatosis. Why would you think that the introdction of pet rabbit genetics into wild populations would only be benign or neutral?

I am interested - very interested, in what is considered 'massive (stressed) environmental impact' - if you could compare it to, let's say.... Ummmmm... Sheep farming....

I don't doubt they're a pain... But it's not like Australia didn't already have its fair share of herbivores.

I think in context rabbits surely are detrimental to the environment. But on the scale of things - just how much so?

I am interested - very interested, in what is considered 'massive (stressed) environmental impact' - if you could compare it to, let's say.... Ummmmm... Sheep farming....

I don't doubt they're a pain... But it's not like Australia didn't already have its fair share of herbivores.

I think in context rabbits surely are detrimental to the environment. But on the scale of things - just how much so?
The areas for sheep farming are controlled. Whilst I agree with your implication that sheep massively impact the environment, where that happens is controlled. Generally it is impossible to confine wild rabbits.

The areas for sheep farming are controlled. Whilst I agree with your implication that sheep massively impact the environment, where that happens is controlled. Generally it is impossible to confine wild rabbits.

Controlled.... So, I like where this is going, and I am just playing the devil's advocate, so please don't think of it as an attack (which I know you won't anyway):

"Australian farmers and graziers own 135,996 farms, covering 61% of Australia’s landmass." (from a reference in wiki).

"The rate of spread of the rabbit in Australia was the fastest of any colonising mammal anywhere in the world and was aided by the presence of burrows of native species and modifications to the natural environment made for farming." (Rabbit ? Feral.org.au ) - does it appear we've somewhat aided this spread of the pest?

Firstly we destroy the land, then we aid in its destruction and complain... Ironic?

This brings back to the original statement that rabbits aren't as much a pest to 'natives' as humans and sheep farming are. Therefore, the environmental damage caused by rabbits is somewhat less than the considerable damage caused by farming, which, in turn aids the destruction caused by rabbits.

Rabbits and their Impact - Department of Primary Industries - When reading this article I notice environmental impacts don't give any actual 'native' species targeted, but prior to the discussion of the ecological significance of the rabbit the article instantly refers to pasture land and how rabbits graze closer than sheep to the non-native clover!!! (which incidentally was the reason we have the honey bee introduced, to pollinate the clover...)

The fact that bilby and a few other natives have been affected (but not significantly compared to cats, foxes or even farm land) seems to be background compared to the economic damage rabbits cause.

So - Other than knowing the damage other herbivorous pests cause (such as possums) to native bush, I can merely say the rabbit is doing damage, but hugely insignificant amounts compared to other means.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back