Bad press for the venomous?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imported_Varanus

How many have first hand experience of this? I've just done a phone interview for my local rag about the "snake season" concerning my past experiences/ what householders can expect this season, kept reiterating that if you leave them alone, they'll leave you alone and all the interviewer really was interested in is how dangerous and aggressive they are and what happens when you get bitten?!! I mentioned I'm yet to be "chased" by an Eastern Brown snake and she swares her uncle had to run 50 metres and jump a 3 metre irrigation ditch to "escape a full on attack" by and angry EB?!!! What's the point of an interview if all they're going to write about is the usual crap? I suppose it shouldn't suprise me where the media's concerned:(.

End of rant.

Yeah mate the media is a very dangerous thing to play with. You are misquoted, edited and similar to make a story more "sensational". I now wish to see an article prior to publication to fact check.

cheers
scott

Lovely fear mongering mainstream media.

The media is a JOKE. It doesn't matter how careful you are, they will twist your words and edit just like scott mentioned. The prime time stuff is the worst... ACA, TT... they just flat out lie and mislead people. Disgusting, as the majority of the sheeple will watch each night and get their brainwash fix right on time.

I'd be double checking the edited article before they print :)

I have been in a few arguments with people who swear black and blue that they know a guy who knows a guy that was chased by an angry snake that was intent on killing them, lol. It doesn't matter what you say the vast majority of people believe this to be true and the media just feeds the fire. It' a damn shame too because if the media stopped perpetuating these ridiculous myths then people might stop trying to kill snakes and just leave them be.

I was chased by a snake once, and then I woke up.

Unfortunately you cannot educate the unwilling these days. They choose to believe whatever they want and until experience shows them otherwise its like talking to a wall.

It' a damn shame too because if the media stopped perpetuating these ridiculous myths then people might stop trying to kill snakes and just leave them be.

Totally agree. I thought that was the whole idea of this interview was to give the layman an idea of what to expect and how best to deal, so it sounded like a good idea, at the time......here's hoping it gets the main message out and isn't too dissapointing.

The other thing, I'm going to look like a real dick in the eyes of fellow elapid fans if the final article is full of rubbish and I'm quoted as saying it! Gone to print already, so little chance now of influencing the outcome.

- - - Updated - - -

Personally, I wouldn't regard that as chasing; as Greg states, the animal's only defending itself from a percieved attack.

I would suggest Richard that it is probable that more hospitalisations would occur from 1 night of "O week" at the local university compared to that of the local herpetofauna!

ive actually had some good run ins with the media,it seems thats quite unusual though,but so far so good.

One of the best answers to the 'snake chased me'

Yes Ive heard a thousand of those stories
But Ive never yet heard one story where the snake caught me

Never talk to media, they just BS to sell the paper and people dont want to read about how safe something is.... I learnt that years ago when I did a phone interview about rock fishing, that I was talked into doing by a close mate who was the photographer

The media have done the same thing with pitbull, staffys, rottis, etc when statistically they bite less then jack russels, Chihuahuas and malteses. Complete fear mongering. But you know what they say "nothing gets in the way of a good story, not even the truth."

the only "snake catchers" that talk to the media more than one are either just doing it for advertsting or havent read the published reports - carnt be that stupid twice.

If they're going to mess you around and manipulate what you say, you might as well waste their time and not give them anything usable. Arrange an interview, and go with a pre-written script, one that has nothing but facts and is structured in such a way that the only way they could misconstrue it would be considered libel.
Don't answer their questions unless you're reading directly from your script. That way, if they use your "interview", it'll only be a factual report or you can sue their butts off:)

the only "snake catchers" that talk to the media more than one are either just doing it for advertsting or havent read the published reports - carnt be that stupid twice.

I've had a few positives in the past, certainly for the animals, and luckily this one didn't turn out too bad either, despite my rant:).

Attachments

• IMG_0001 [1600x1200].jpg
    IMG_0001 [1600x1200].jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG [1600x1200].jpg
    IMG [1600x1200].jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 66
Shades of Brown? Reads better than Shades of Grey ;)

Good write up mate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back