Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Blueys maybe cheap as chips now, but in thousands of years when humanity can no longer live of Earth. The price of them will be sky high!

It seems every year the common ( eastern ) blue tongue skink has been getting cheaper and cheaper gradually at where it is now the point of them being given away for free in an increasing amount of cases. With the price of feeding these animals ( not the cheapest etc because of their diet and appetite ) to raise and house i just wonder how many people will actually just start throwing these poor creatures away. Also with the growing amount of morphs in blueys and their prices slowly starting to drop it makes me curious as to what lies for the common python etc childrens.

Blueys & in fact pretty much all Skinks are in a much more stable market than Pythons or Dragons due to comparatively small litter sizes and in my experience cannot be compared........ Eastern Blueys apart all other locality Blue Tongues sell pretty much as soon as they are born.

I would still say though that being an entry level reptile most Easterns (90%) are sold by pet shops & they most certainly do not give them away !!

Can't Centralian Blueys be thousands of dollars for a good breeding pair, and in America Blueys and Shingles are at a high price.

It seems every year the common ( eastern ) blue tongue skink has been getting cheaper and cheaper gradually at where it is now the point of them being given away for free in an increasing amount of cases. With the price of feeding these animals ( not the cheapest etc because of their diet and appetite ) to raise and house i just wonder how many people will actually just start throwing these poor creatures away. Also with the growing amount of morphs in blueys and their prices slowly starting to drop it makes me curious as to what lies for the common python etc childrens.

Blueys are very easy and cheap too keep.... pit outside bit of dog food and veggie cut offs and Robert is your fathers brother. You don't even need an incubator as they do that all for you.

Free reptiles always a good thing... donate them to a school, a charity, a child.

Bluey keepers don't keep them for the money they keep them for the interest of keeping that species

I dont think anyone keeps normal blueys to make money or for what their financial worth is... ten years ago they were still cheap as chips.... though you do raise a good point with unwanted pets that cant be sold, as reptiles usually outlive the keepers desire to keep them.

+1

Probably a similar thing that's happened with crossbred dogs: They'll be worth nothing, and destroyed in the thousands annually, until some bright spark has the idea to give a poorly bred animal a fancy label, then they'll be worth squillions, but people will still throw them away. Tiliquoodle anyone?

I hate people.

cross bred dogs use to be worthless, now there cavoodles, labradoodles, bugs, chawoxys etc that are worth thousands, so much for breeding a dog, thats a dog not a bitsa, yes there are thousands put down each year but there is also thousands let go into the wild

ill put my hand up for a pair of tiliquoodles, there gonna tear throught the market in a few years...

im actually picking up a free eastern tomorrow only as they have a few to many pets...

there should be limits set to how many things people can breed per year or decade etc

im not just talking reptiles, some people its children too lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back