Rabbits in QLD

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Two wrongs dont make a right. Like you say Rabbits are destructive. Dont repeat the previous mistakes by encouraging more damage from feral animals.

You guys are silly! everyone knows that the government will let you do anything if you have enough money :)

If they were actually concerned about our country's conservation they should worry about a million other things before domesticated rabbits.

You guys are silly! everyone knows that the government will let you do anything if you have enough money :)

If they were actually concerned about our country's conservation they should worry about a million other things before domesticated rabbits.
Yes, much better to be concerned after they become a problem.

My parents have a property on the Atherton tablelands and few times I have seen Netherlands dwarf type rabbits running wild. Don't tell me they aren't escaped "pets" that have breed and contributed to qld's feral animal problem. The only positive I can take from that is at least it keeps the dogs (retired greyhounds) interested.

- - - Updated - - -

My parents have a property on the Atherton tablelands and few times I have seen Netherlands dwarf type rabbits running wild. Don't tell me they aren't escaped "pets" that have breed and contributed to qld's feral animal problem. The only positive I can take from that is at least it keeps the dogs (retired greyhounds) interested.

The rabbit ban is a lot older than the calici virus introduction. The ban is due to massive and I stress massive detrimental environmental impact that rabbits had on the environment in southern states prior to the introduction of myxomatosis. Why would you think that the introdction of pet rabbit genetics into wild populations would only be benign or neutral?

You mean apart from the studies that have shown it to be so and the fact that pet rabbits are allowed in all other states yet Qld has had the worst rabbit plagues of any state? Apart from the fact that borders are imaginary and pet rabbits are able to be kept a mere 4km from where I live in Qld. Apart from the fact that there is no evidence that rabbits in Vic, SA, WA, NSW, ACT or Tas difer in genetics or robustness from those in Qld. Apart from that, I have no reason to assume so.

RedFox, there are also plenty of feral type rabbits on the Atherton Tablelands. A few white rabbits aren't going to cause much of a problem.

and these studies you speak of? or are you quoting the ones mentioned in this thread? I take it you have "studies" to back up the claims you make. I may be biased having been alive when rabbit plagues were real and a problem but I am willing to be educated.

RedFox, there are also plenty of feral type rabbits on the Atherton Tablelands. A few white rabbits aren't going to cause much of a problem.

Rabbit Health: The Amazing (and scary) Reproductive Potential of Rabbits No your right Magpie how much damage could a couple of escaped pets do? And by the way since you know how plagued with rabbits QLD is why would you want to add to it by introducing pets? In a perfect world people would be responsible pet owners and desex their animals, but in reality that is unfortunately never going to happen. If that happened we wouldn't have a problem with feral cats and dogs.

and these studies you speak of? or are you quoting the ones mentioned in this thread? I take it you have "studies" to back up the claims you make. I may be biased having been alive when rabbit plagues were real and a problem but I am willing to be educated.

Peter, you are right, I have no studies to back that up. I should not have made that claim.
As to you being educated and changing your mind, I'll believe that when I see it. I've known you on this site for quite a few years and I've never seen you back down once. You must be right a lot. I notice you ignore my other points and pick out the one you knew I had no back up for.

RedFox, what is your point exactly? Are you saying that by going out and shooting a pair of rabbits I am in fact removing a billion rabbits? In an area with feral rabbits already established, a white rabbit escaping will make no diference. I don't want to add to the problem with escaped pets. I am simply of the opinion that allowing pet rabbits does not add to the problem.
No problem with feral cats if people started speying their pets? Are you for real? Have you ever been out to the bush and seen how many of them there are? I know a mate who shot 7 cats without moving his vehicle.
To give some perspective, this is a reptile forum with most people here keeping reptiles out of thie native range. Which is likely to have more effect on the native environment. A pair of tame white rabbits escaping in suburbia or a pair of WA stimsons pythons escaping in NSW?

Peter, you are right, I have no studies to back that up. I should not have made that claim.
As to you being educated and changing your mind, I'll believe that when I see it. I've known you on this site for quite a few years and I've never seen you back down once. You must be right a lot. I notice you ignore my other points and pick out the one you knew I had no back up for.

Your other points were anecdotal and yes, I am right alot. A bit like yourself.

Some Facts?

Have a look at the website link for a summary of the 2010 -2011 or 2011 - 2012 Rabbit Board report, if you note the pet rabbit section the emphasis is on education.
If found with a pet rabbit the inspector will not be unreasonable they will afford you an opportunity to move the rabbit interstate, or will confiscate it and have it euthanized for free by a Vet.
You will not be fined $30,000.00, the total sum of fines for the 2010-2011 year including fees was less that $12,000 for the entire state. Most fines we can assume would be for illegal rabbit breeders, not the owner of a desexed fluffy house bunny.
They also rely heavily on the support of local councils and authorities so don't expect an intensive bunny hunt through your house with a court granted search warrant, it is honestly not worth their time.
Judging from their report their funding is minimal and are lucky to keep their jobs year to year, the law is purely a political front and/or a money saving exercise.
(If its not on the pest list then there is no Govt funding for their control and eradication, and the farmers will have to buy their own baits and traps.)

Also note that the report states that the entire region of QLD that is protected by the rabbit proof fence is only 28,000 sq km or roughly 1.5% of all of QLD

http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/Documents/TableOffice/TabledPapers/2011/5311T5288.pdf
http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/documents/TableOffice/TabledPapers/2012/5412T1237.pdf

PS. This is not a green light to get a rabbit or break the law, but some facts rather than folk-law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back