Need advice on egg laying/incubation of stimmies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lithopian

Reaction score
Hey Guys- I have a question regarding my (hopefully!) gravid stimmie.

She’s kept in an enclosure with our male and she’s just coming up for a shed (I’m hoping it’s the pre-lay shed as they’ve been breeding pretty well non stop since March).

I need some advice on the egg removal process. My boyfriend and I are going away and I’m worried that she’s going to lay her eggs in the 2 weeks that we’re away!! Should I put the lay box in there and hope for the best- would it be too late to remove the eggs to the incubator if she’s laid them when we get back? i.e. if she’s been on them for a week or so before we remove them?

Also- there is much controversy online regarding my next issue and I called my breeder and he gave me the old “it’s up to you what you want to do” when it comes to leaving the male in there with her during the laying/incubating phase. What do you guys recommend I do? They’re kept in a glass reptile one 1m long enclosure with a heat mat.

Thanks guys- any help/advice based on your own breeding experiences would be greatly appreciated!!

Cancel the holiday it will be more exciting watching eggs come out an then putting them in the incubator.

Cancel the holiday it will be more exciting watching eggs come out an then putting them in the incubator.

haha i would love to - i cant believe they have coincided but this is a $15000 trip to NZ that i wont cancel.

Leave a lay box in there for her, ensure it has something like sphagnum moss that is nice and moist and hope that she lays in it. The male will be fine in there, ideally seperated is better though. Worst case scenario, she will lay the eggs on the heat mat and cook them, so you will no longer have to worry about the eggs. If she lays them in box and there is enough humidity in there to keep the eggs happy, you can remove her and put them into the incubator.

Daz

Hmm I could go on it for you ? I haven't been out of the country would be great first proper holiday in 6 years.

On a more serious note,

Some people use box's for the female to lay her eggs in and the female incubates them (insert terminology).
But that's if she does if she doesn't they'll be gone...
(I've only read this before and seen a video ) not sure the hatch rate would be as great either would have to have experience in doing in as you would be setting up something that you've never done as opposed to eggs in vermiculite in incubator.

You have no trusted reptile friends ?
Would be so much easier!

Last edited:
hahah cheers marzzy- so very generous of you. I'll keep you in mind if i decide to give it up :p haha

Thanks Den.

My breeder advised me to position the lay box so that it is half on/half off the heat mat full of sphagnum moss and about a cm of water, being sure to top it up every now and again when it dehydrates. I have the breeding and keeping pythons book but it doesnt give very detailed instructions on maternal incubation so i'm a little lost.

Good to know if she does lay while we're away I can remove the eggs from her and incubate them. So ideally we should separate the pair but they'll be alright if she lays with him in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back