HELP!!!!!! Mice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blake182

Reaction score
IMG_0174[1].jpghey guy's
well last week i found that my 2 female mice were realy big so i put them in there own tub so i found there were 13 babies in there hide yayayayaya " i started danceing" but i new my other female mice was also pregnet so i looked around for her But and i found her dead with her eyes chewed out :( and her gut was full of babies ( i could feel them about 9 or so.
:((( they have bio mare and water in there cage
i just dont now why she would have killed her? does any one know why she would of killed her
also show i put some peas in her tub for now or just leave her??

Last edited:
im guessing the mother was stress and wanted to defend the babies so she killed the other mice

We're the two females in the same tub mate? Whilst not a regular occurrence, it has been documented that if the female mouse is too young when they get pregnant or try give birth, they have difficulties and die. I haven't heard of other pregnant females attacking each other but rather have seen them co-mothering if litters are born in the same timeframe (+\- 4days)

As for the eyes chewed out, it sounds pretty morbid and I'm not sure if the other female would have done it but maybe have a look around for any ants or other pests that can cause damage to a dead mouse.

Big thing to remember with pregnant mice is that they always have enough food and water, the heat is right, the enclosure is kept clean and that its never too over crowded.

Hopefully some of the breeders out there with more experience can clarify or point out if they have had the same experiences.

yeah like it hole head has chewed but around the eyes ( i can up load a pic ) i clean out the tubs 2 days a go and these are her frist litter i think female mice that die was still a bit warm so it only just happen

yeah like it hole head has chewed but around the eyes ( i can up load a pic ) i clean out the tubs 2 days a go and these are her frist litter i think female mice that die was still a bit warm so it only just happen

I can't say that she wasn't attacked by the other one but in my experience, it's not a common occurrence. The mouse will stay warm for a while, particularly if she was pregnant so unfortunately it's not an accurate way to estimate when it happened.

Did you hear lots of noise and squeaking before you went in and saw them?

definatley sounds like the other female got a hold of her. with rats i observe the body language when i put two pregnant females in the same tub, after about a min you know weather you will have problems or not.

How often does that occur for you Liam? I have only read about it but never experienced it myself.

no i didnt but my mum said she could hear heaps of nosis today but last night they were eating togeter and hidding togeter

no i didnt but my mum said she could hear heaps of nosis today but last night they were eating togeter and hidding togeter
If that's the case, I think Liam hit the nail on the head. Sorry to hear mate.

yeah ill wait till i have to cull these pinkie and put the male back in and another female and if she kills this one i might have to give it away :(
also what the best way to clean the tubs out with pinkies in it??

take the pinkes and the mum out clean the tub then but the pinkies and mum back in??

Mice are aggressive (very aggressive) the little so and so's it seems to me they are at their worst when they are in excellent condition.....everything and everybody will be fine then you get up next morning to a couple of headless mice.....go figure and mine are in tubs nearly a meter long with three different types of food :(

Mice instinctively dont waste food. A dead carcase is a real treat that they dont often get. Possibly also cleans up scents which might lure predators in the wild. You seldom find complete dead mice in a colony. That being said it doesn't mean they need meat etc in their diet. It's a bit like chocolate and kids, or even adults. They like it but it isn't necessarily good for them.

Yeah I will :) she looking after them good she and there's 10 live ones

- - - Updated - - -

just some more pics with better phone

- - - Updated - - -

Hey guys well I started out with 10 mice but now I have 8???
Im not sure what happen I can't find them any where
would the mum would of eat them to keep the other 8 growing well??

Attachments

• 100_2450.jpg
    100_2450.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 100_2451.jpg
    100_2451.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 36
Well at the end of it I had 7 mice 5 females 2 males, save 1 to breed back to dad and the rest are in my snake's belly

If you only have a few mice a bit of cover might help them seem safer. The picture posted doesn't show any nest. It looks too clean. Maybe a couple of toilet rolls or small boxes (hides) would help and when they are due to give birth leave them alone, dont count them or clean them out for a couple of weeks! The cleaning out is for your benefit not theirs.

Hell will freeze over before mice stop randomly attacking each other, its my belief that once they feel great a pecking order mentality takes over, at least thats my opinion, one little pointer to watch out for is bite marks on their butt particularly the males (they're doomed) remove those ones immediately or find a carcass :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back