Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slytherin00

Reaction score
Because I will be getting my first snake very soon, its going to be a childrens python hopefully Im getting pretty excited about it. At the Zoo which I volunteer for, in the afternoons I take three of their snakes out onto the lawn to have a little bit of a slither.

Its normally the Black Headed python, a Olive Python, and a Jungle Python. And they are pretty easy to maintain on the lawn, in that im not having to run after them I can just casully walk over to them and place them back on the lawn if they begin to wonder to far.

So im question basically is, could I do this with my childrens python, or will it not be slow like the zoo snakes, and if I put it down for a walk it will like bolt

It won't be able to outrun you. No snake can. Just be careful of birds and don't take your eye off it for a second. They have a habit of magically disappearing if you look away

If it is a little hatchy then I would keep an eye on it and possibly avoid it.
Once they get bigger they will be less appealing to birds. But your snake will be right mate he wont bolt and even it it does it wont be fast.

If it is a little hatchy then I would keep an eye on it and possibly avoid it.
Once they get bigger they will be less appealing to birds. But your snake will be right mate he wont bolt and even it it does it wont be fast.

+1
Its not generally the snake that you need to worry about but the birds and other predators that may take an interest to a free meal.

Not only birds but little hatchies try and dig under the grass and can sometimes be tricky getting them out, depending on the type of grass. Has anyone ever actually had a bird come down and snatch up ur reptile? just curious.

im curious how peeps take their frillies outside etc those things can move and i have taken my beardie out before and the little bugger bolted for a bush and that was a fun hunt getting him back.

No..but I have been mobbed by mynas while doing a demo. Hundreds of the little.... Guys.

im curious how peeps take their frillies outside etc those things can move and i have taken my beardie out before and the little bugger bolted for a bush and that was a fun hunt getting him back.

Same happened last week little **** is never going outside again. Unless shes in a box.

Mmmm. when I get my woma I will probably put her on my trampoline as it has a fully enclosed net and the black mat gets nice and warm when it's been in the sun coz it soaks up the heat. i think it should work. of course i will give him some time on the grass too.

sorry i just kinda hijacked the thread. apologies OP.

Taking a hatchy childrens out for a walk in an exposed area like a lawn in the middle of the day, will do nothing but stress the poor thing out and have no net benefit.

i'd love to be able to take my snakes outside but the amount of predators around here its just not possible, we have more kookaburras than ya can poke a stick at, bloody cats everywhere, hawks, falcons and kites, and night is not an option either with barn owls and tawney frog mouths. one day when they are full grown i might be able

Well thank for all the advice guys. And yeah if I get a hatchy I wasn't thinking of letting it out on the lawn I was more thinking of when its an adult snake, because I was thinking that it would just be a good change of scenerey and the open air would do it could. Though that just my opinion I could be totally wrong

And that a good point about predators, im lucky that where I live that shouldn't be a really issue as for there not really many birds around. So it think I will just let it out in the afternoon around, 3-3:30 when the sun's heat has died down.

No..but I have been mobbed by mynas while doing a demo. Hundreds of the little.... Guys.

Haha those bloody Mynas. The go ballistic when i bring my big diamond out. Dozens of them crowd around and let every other bird in Brisbane know there is a snake out and about.

You will stress it out best off initially leaving it alone until well settled and feeding on a regular basis. By the way you never said what cobras are at your volley work... Or had mid identified what you have seen for the past three months

Outside tub works best....half shaded, half nice and sunny and a good quality mesh on a lid birds cant hassle them in. Ours love it, can put them outside the open door of the rat room while changing all the mice and rat bins. That way they get to bake for a couple of hours and I can still keep my eye on them ;)

You will stress it out best off initially leaving it alone until well settled and feeding on a regular basis. By the way you never said what cobras are at your volley work... Or had mid identified what you have seen for the past three months

God its all so confusing, I think I will just wait 6 months before I take it out for a walk.

Oh and yes Eipper I owe you a MASSIVE apology, sorry for being rude to you. You were right we dont have cobras, turns out it, it was this death adder, though it wasn't like really thick like the photos i've seen of them, and it was kind of a carmel brown color to. So yes sorry once again, I think its pretty obvious I have much more to learn about snakes. I feel so stupid, like who thinks a death adder was a cobra

I would wait more then 6 months, a small snake is just to much of a risk to take outside and you would never forgive yourself if a bird came and picked it up or it got down a hole you never noticed was there. I would wait till it is fully grown, my fat bluey once got away from me and escaped into a bush they look slow but once he was in the bush it took a while to get him out. It just shows how even the animals you wouldnt expect to escape you can be able to if you give them the chance.

We always take the bhp for walkies a few days after a feed, he likes a poo and a slither away from the enclosure. When he was young kookaburras and kites would hang around looking for an opportunity but it would need to be a teredactyl to take him away these days ha ha.

i finally built up the courage to take my two 4 1/2 foot bredli out the front on the weekend, i was more stressed than the snakes, they loved cruising the fresh cut lawns i was looking round lake a bloody eagle at anything that moved making sure it wasnt a kukkaburra of a hawk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back